U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 10:24 AM

2,381 posts, read 1,212,433 times

Advertisements

No way.

I have been there many times.at my employers insistence and expense. Terrible place for a very Western looking woman to travel. I hated going there so much I got a different job. You could not pay me enough to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 08:38 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,557,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
No way.

I have been there many times.at my employers insistence and expense. Terrible place for a very Western looking woman to travel. I hated going there so much I got a different job. You could not pay me enough to go back.
This. It makes any western person sick to go to India or Pakistan, due to the crowds, hygiene etc. Its more of a cultural hesitation . If you go with someone who already lived there, then it will be great fun.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:11 AM

2,088 posts, read 710,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
This. It makes any western person sick to go to India or Pakistan, due to the crowds, hygiene etc. Its more of a cultural hesitation . If you go with someone who already lived there, then it will be great fun.
I guess I'm an oddity- went to India a half-dozen times on business and went there again a year ago on a group tour, and loved it. I wouldn't recommend it for solo travel but there's a lot of history and natural beauty, the heritage of multiple religions, and deluxe hotels (with food and hygiene up to Western standards and a steady supply of hot water and electricity) don't cost that much. Yes, there's poverty, the occasional stench and aggressive beggars/panhandlers but also a lot of gracious people, many living in very poor conditions.

To me, the difference between India and Pakistan is that in India, conditions for women are getting better. It's still rough in the countryside and for the lower castes (although they now reserve spots in universities and government posts for them) but younger women are getting educations and have good jobs. They can drive, and the ones I knew chose their own husbands (still needed family approval but it's progress).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel