U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 02:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,561 posts, read 39,944,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
There's a movie theater in Singapore's airport? I'll have to check that out next time I go there.
One in Portland (PDX) too...(playing local shorts)
https://hollywoodtheatre.org/airport...d-theatre-pdx/

The Singapore Changi (SIN) movie theatre is next to the Sunflower Garden T2 (smoking area) and one near Ambassador airport hotel lounge T3. (they show full length movies)
Movie Theatres | Changi Airport Singapore
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 02:43 AM

5,939 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
For mine, I would say Ciclovia. I found this when I was in Mexico City. Every Sunday from 8am-2pm, they close down most of Paseo de la Reforma for miles and open it up to anyone on foot or wheels, and it's a tremendous community event.

San Josť, CA just held their 2nd annual (called Viva Calle) and it poured most of the day, but it was still awesome. People booed when they opened the streets back up to the cars.

It really adds a lot to the community, local fare (street food!), and exercise. I was also able to take unique shots of architecture downtown I have rarely been able to see from the middle of a street.
Hey they had this in several cities we've stayed = Guadalajara, Medellin, and Quito. It's great for all the reasons you mentioned, it became part of our routine the Sunday long-walk followed by breakfast and coffee somewhere along the route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
1) Japan's vending machines, which can be found in some of the most random places
My wife and I actually found one of the legendary used schoolgirl panties machines in Osaka. As an added bonus it was one of those arcade-style crane games where you put money in to try to make the arm pick up one of the little plastic packets that contained them. Each container had a cartoon of the alleged former wearer. Didn't see anyone playing it.

We also saw a few of the live lobster crane grab tanks in Tokyo, saw folks playing those but never saw a winner.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:21 AM

4,403 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Yeah, I was amazed when I saw frozen ice cream treats in a boarding gate at Narita airport,only 30-50 yen. Got my last coins. Best airport food bargains I ever saw, ever.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:35 AM

4,403 posts, read 1,669,820 times
I liked the green parking lots in Singapore -- brick surfaced, spaced so grass grew op between them, so an unoccupied lot looked like a green lawn.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:37 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,653,928 times
In Baku, everyone pays the same fare to take a train, no matter how far you're traveling. Much more efficient. Stops are "announced" by bits of classical music. Loved that. Taxis were bright purple. Subway stations and underground passages had fine art. I'd love to see that here, although it would be destroyed in days I'm sure. I'm not sure why they didn't have graffiti issues there but I loved seeing all that art.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:43 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,171,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Good God yes, I once even made accidental eye contact with someone sitting in a stall through the door crack at an airport in USA. What on earth possessed them to have a three centimeter gap there?

Do you really not know? It's a crack down against public sex.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:55 AM

7,247 posts, read 4,136,323 times
For me, it tends to be the other way around...things I'm glad we don't have in the US.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:56 AM

8,322 posts, read 6,163,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's interesting that better transportation is a common theme.

I
too wish they had better public transportation around where I live, and not the nasty, slow arse buses that take forever to get somewhere and are filled with nasty, smelly, hostile people who you never know might attack you out of the blue. Like Europe and Asia for example.

Other things I wish they had more of was clean, cheap street food. I know many places have street food in the U.S. but nothing like parts of Asia where they have cheap stalls all over the place, and it's cheaper to actually eat out than buy and cook food.
I wonder on that note though, if the transport is really better because we don't go to the Greenville, NC's of the UK or Germany. Is the Transport in Plymouth England that much better than it is in a US city of 250K people? If you go to the truly international destinations within the US, true cosmopolitan Metros, you have generally decent transport. Chicago, Boston, DC, California to an extent...

Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,171,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I wonder on that note though, if the transport is really better because we don't go to the Greenville, NC's of the UK or Germany. Is the Transport in Plymouth England that much better than it is in a US city of 250K people? If you go to the truly international destinations within the US, true cosmopolitan Metros, you have generally decent transport. Chicago, Boston, DC, California to an extent...

Yeah, that's the thing, our "decent" transportation like Chicago pale in comparison to Western Europe's "decent" transportation, IMO.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:13 AM

1,036 posts, read 725,593 times
Better-funded public transportation and urbanity. It's seriously depressing to return to the US after visiting certain countries that don't have sprawled-out, auto-dependent suburbs. Outside of a few major cities (Philly, NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC, and SF), it is hard to live car-free in this country. I'm lucky enough to live in a city where over 30% of households don't have a car, but the vast majority of the country isn't so lucky.

This country made the stupid decision to subsidize and promote the suburbs through the Interstate Highway System, redlining and the early FHA mortgage system, a low federal gas tax that does NOT reflect the true cost to maintain road infrastructure, and free parking/parking minimums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or