U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 10:32 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,427,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I wonder on that note though, if the transport is really better because we don't go to the Greenville, NC's of the UK or Germany. Is the Transport in Plymouth England that much better than it is in a US city of 250K people? If you go to the truly international destinations within the US, true cosmopolitan Metros, you have generally decent transport. Chicago, Boston, DC, California to an extent...

Some of us do go to the Greenville NCs (or, much smaller places) and the answer is Yes. By a lot. Train travel (and regional bus service) is far superior in Europe to the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 03:32 PM

56,033 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
The San Francisco metro has the Clipper card, which can be used on pretty much any mode of public transportation, eg buses, trains, cable cars, even ferries.

As for the thread topic, here's my wish list so far, in no particular order:

1) Japan's vending machines, which can be found in some of the most random places (ie middle of nowhere), such as this one.

2) airport amenities like karaoke booths (Beijing) and movie theaters (Singapore)

3) potato chips with interesting flavors -- masala, chicken, lamb etc.

4) Christmas markets

5) blankets provided by restaurants when dining alfresco in the evening (Denmark)

I also like some of the ones already mentioned here, such as pedestrianized streets, an extensive rail network and bathroom stalls that offer better privacy.
Wondering exactly what they are and how they are different from the markets that set up in the US just for Christmas.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:51 PM

3,664 posts, read 6,484,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wondering exactly what they are and how they are different from the markets that set up in the US just for Christmas.
We have been to several in Europe and really like them. In fact, we are going back at Christmas this year for that purpose.

I can't say I've been to the ones in America that I can recall so its hard to say.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:12 PM

3,506 posts, read 5,173,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
We have been to several in Europe and really like them. In fact, we are going back at Christmas this year for that purpose.

I can't say I've been to the ones in America that I can recall so its hard to say.
I went to one in Guadalajara and it was really Christmassy, but basically full of tacky, cheap decorations. I might have loved it in my 20's and 30's but couldn't really appreciate it in my 50"s. Still, it was beautiful and festive!

Old 05-21-2019, 04:12 PM

931 posts, read 256,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's interesting that better transportation is a common theme.

I too wish they had better public transportation around where I live, and not the nasty, slow arse buses that take forever to get somewhere and are filled with nasty, smelly, hostile people who you never know might attack you out of the blue. Like Europe and Asia for example.

Other things I wish they had more of was clean, cheap street food. I know many places have street food in the U.S. but nothing like parts of Asia where they have cheap stalls all over the place, and it's cheaper to actually eat out than buy and cook food.
In the U.S., "street food" (food trucks) are almost more expensive than restaurants!! (And then there are the restaurants who tout their "street food"... um... perhaps food in the style of food that is served on the street in {enter name of country whose food they are serving} but it is literally not street food if it's in a {probably overpriced} restaurant...)

Old 05-21-2019, 04:16 PM

3,506 posts, read 5,173,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
In the U.S., "street food" (food trucks) are almost more expensive than restaurants!! (And then there are the restaurants who tout their "street food"... um... perhaps food in the style of food that is served on the street in {enter name of country whose food they are serving} but it is literally not street food if it's in a {probably overpriced} restaurant...)
Agreed! Had some amazing, cheap street food in Bangkok. Pretty much never ate anything else once discovered. Except for an Indian restaurant near our hotel. Delicious and inexpensive.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:32 PM

3,664 posts, read 6,484,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I went to one in Guadalajara and it was really Christmassy, but basically full of tacky, cheap decorations. I might have loved it in my 20's and 30's but couldn't really appreciate it in my 50"s. Still, it was beautiful and festive!
There is some of that there as well. They have some great food options, and the wife loves mulled wine so she is in heaven. The ones in Poland have amazing food.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:29 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,666,771 times
A public transport system reflects a need. The more private transport a community has, the less it needs from the mass-transit sector.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:03 PM

931 posts, read 256,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
A public transport system reflects a need. The more private transport a community has, the less it needs from the mass-transit sector.
But, alternately, it's a vicious cycle. The less public transport a community has, the more private transit it will have by necessity. Then, once everyone owns a car anyway, it will be seen as a need for less public transport...

Old 05-21-2019, 09:39 PM

651 posts, read 174,877 times
Professionally run, inexpensive, sophisticated kindergartens.

Very academic National curriculum for schools with no electives: math, chemistry, physics, etc- are compulsory for everyone

4-6 weeks paid vacations for everyone.

Workers can not be fired without advance notice and pay.

Repertoire theaters.

Ambulance coming to your home when you are sick has doctors! They treat you and only take you to the hospital if you need a more intensive or more invasive treatment. You don’t wait in emergency room for hours.

Legal systems NOTbased on a British precedent law which is cumbersome, expensive, unfair and unjust

Less packaging= less garbage ( especially plastic)

Safe food without man made chemicals and harmful dyes, flavorings, etc

In some countries you can buy medications without prescriptions: the pharmacist provides a recommendation: Antibiotics, some cardio meds, painkillers ( not of addicting nature), anti-viral, etc. Supplements are produced by pharmaceutical industry and regulated as medicine,so you know they are safe.
It is handy when you know exactly what you need.

Last edited by Nik4me; 05-21-2019 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or