U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2019, 01:23 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,862,107 times

Advertisements

Top of my list would be terrific rail system.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 09:47 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,671,394 times
More towns that are centered around a downtown street/streets or a square. So many soulless towns in the US!

Old 06-08-2019, 10:20 AM

827 posts, read 316,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
More towns that are centered around a downtown street/streets or a square. So many soulless towns in the US!

Indeed! That's one of the really cool things about Asia. Often times it's more expensive to go out and shop and cook than it is to go down to the street and buy a nice plate of food for $2. Therefore EVERYBODY goes out to eat and it's this huge food party from 6-9PM that is so cool! It's a social gathering where people hang out, mingle and have fun and blow off steam from the day. It's something that we don't get to enjoy here in the West and I agree with you, it creates a soulless environment when most rush home and eat food whilst watching Netflix.

There is so much discord and distrust here in America, we've forgotten how to enjoy each others company and it's only getting worse!!!!

Old 06-09-2019, 06:22 PM

668 posts, read 2,460,472 times
The fancy musical, heated toilets in Japan!

Old 06-13-2019, 01:40 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,062,723 times
bum guns being standard in US bathrooms! Now that i've traveled extensively in Asia, I come back to the US and dry toilet paper....that just doesn't do it for me anymore. All those poor bears dancing around on the tv commercials talking about pillowy soft fluffiness against your skin...yeah maybe, but it (bum) ain't clean, best believe!!

Old 06-13-2019, 01:53 PM

3,509 posts, read 5,174,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
bum guns being standard in US bathrooms! Now that i've traveled extensively in Asia, I come back to the US and dry toilet paper....that just doesn't do it for me anymore. All those poor bears dancing around on the tv commercials talking about pillowy soft fluffiness against your skin...yeah maybe, but it (bum) ain't clean, best believe!!
Not to be too indelicate as I'm not familiar with bum guns, but what is used to dry your bum after use? Toilet paper? Hair dryer type thing?

Last edited by sayulita; 06-13-2019 at 02:12 PM..

Old 06-20-2019, 01:38 PM

40,213 posts, read 15,182,402 times
I'm with all those who said they'd love to see better public transportation and more [passenger] rail systems in the U.S. It seems only the big cities have decent public transportation, and a cross-county train ride in the U.S. takes days instead of hours. The rail systems in the parts of Europe I've visited thus far are marvelous - fast, user-friendly and reasonably priced.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:30 PM

5,223 posts, read 5,091,707 times
Beaches like the ones I visited in Denmark, where if you want to wear something, you do, and if you don't, you don't.

And nobody gives a damn either way.

I also noticed that in the newspaper, every day some newsworthy event happened at the beach, and there always was a pretty, topless girl in the foreground of the photo accompanying the article.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:05 PM

3,435 posts, read 1,531,248 times
In Italy and Greece, the "mini-mart" is not a 7-11 full of junk food, but a mini complete grocery. Fresh fruits and veg's, local cheese and meats, local breads and wine---bulk nuts and beans. Maybe only one or 2 people can fit in it at one time, but they have everything you need.

We never felt the need for a larger grocery---mini-marts are full of healthy foods. Every tiny town has one.

Yes, we have to flag down our local buses too. Never know if it's the right one! But paying $8 for a 6-hour ride in luxurious seats with movies---not too bad!

Old 06-22-2019, 12:38 PM

6,495 posts, read 4,076,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
I'm with all those who said they'd love to see better public transportation and more [passenger] rail systems in the U.S. It seems only the big cities have decent public transportation, and a cross-county train ride in the U.S. takes days instead of hours. .
If the high-speed rail went 250mph with no stops...which is highly unlikely...you could get from LA to New York in 12 hours. Don't know about you, but I'd rather fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or