U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 05:46 AM

20,728 posts, read 13,741,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know where you are, but in New Jersey you get the certified copy of the birth certificate from the town or county in which you were born, not a hospital.

Hospitals supply mother/parents with a copy of birth certificate which pretty much functions as registration of the fact with proper authorities. If birth took place outside of a hospital, such as home or whatever then attending physician's office will type up the BC, give copy to parents, then file same with proper authorities.

Certified birth and death certificates can only be obtained from designated local government agency. One must have a valid legal reason for obtaining a certified death or birth certificate. OTOH uncertified copies of birth and death records are public records. For this reason when the things are needed for official/legal purposes usually only a certified copy will do.

On the upside once one has a US passport it will usually suffice in place of a request to produce a certified copy of birth certificate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 06:41 AM

639 posts, read 1,375,973 times
Just an added thought....depending on what country you are visiting, and the reason for his license being suspended, he may be denied entry (i.e. with a DUI he'd be denied entry to Canada)

Old 05-22-2019, 06:47 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,269,568 times
I just recently got a passport. I had to present my birth certificate with the raised seal, a photocopy of said birth certificate, and my driver's license, and two passport-sized photos (you can have those taken at Walgreens.) I filled out the application form as well. What happened is they took the application, passport photos, and the raised seal birth certificate for processing. They wanted proof that I had a photocopy of the birth certificate in case I had need of it later, because the actual certificate itself wouldn't be returned for several weeks. So I had three separate mailings--the book was one, the passport ID card was the second, and my birth certificate returned to me was the third.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:13 AM

6,549 posts, read 7,970,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Hospitals supply mother/parents with a copy of birth certificate which pretty much functions as registration of the fact with proper authorities. If birth took place outside of a hospital, such as home or whatever then attending physician's office will type up the BC, give copy to parents, then file same with proper authorities.

Certified birth and death certificates can only be obtained from designated local government agency. One must have a valid legal reason for obtaining a certified death or birth certificate. OTOH uncertified copies of birth and death records are public records. For this reason when the things are needed for official/legal purposes usually only a certified copy will do.

On the upside once one has a US passport it will usually suffice in place of a request to produce a certified copy of birth certificate.
Not entirely true. Long ago mothers were only given the birth “record” which often was an attractive item on heavy paper that included the baby’s footprint. They did not receive the actual “certificate” that you need from the county in which you were born.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:43 AM

21,164 posts, read 11,774,111 times
My understanding is that a suspended license will not be accepted as primary identification for a passport application - meaning the only documentation you need to submit for proof of identity. But you can use it in conjunction with other forms of secondary identification.

This article explains it

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/pass...on-109566.html

As for the photos, you can check with the location you (or your friend) are going to, because some of them will take the photos there. They can be kind of picky at times - has to be a specific size, you aren't supposed to smile, etc. so it can sometimes be easier to just let them take it to be sure they aren't going to reject it.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:03 PM

9,199 posts, read 8,293,143 times
A suspended license is not a valid license, it is suspended.

I found this out renewing my passport for a ticket I didn't know I had.

Have your friend clean up his drivers license.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:19 PM

9,358 posts, read 6,254,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNoor View Post
I absolutely DID check the official website, was just a little confused even after the fact... The thing is my friend is trying to get his first time passport to travel with me on an upcoming trip.... And we are wondering if his SUSPENDED driver's license will still suffice as a valid form of identification (at least as a valid form of a "photo ID" even though it is not FULLY valid in the sense when it comes to driving....)

We are also fairly sure that we will need to hunt down a CERTIFIED COPY of his birth certificate from the hospital he was born at coupled with the valid photo ID!

Thank you to anyone who has had experience with this particular scenario! It is not an answer found with a quick FAQ search on the www.gov/travel website unfortunately
Suspended license is proof of nothing other than it's suspended. Homeland Security does not permit suspended info

Old 05-25-2019, 08:19 AM

56,028 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Not entirely true. Long ago mothers were only given the birth “record” which often was an attractive item on heavy paper that included the baby’s footprint. They did not receive the actual “certificate” that you need from the county in which you were born.
This is true. I was born in 1958. I think the "birth certificate" my mother has includes a picture of the hospital in which I was born--the way it looked back then. It's about five times bigger now.

When I needed a copy of my birth certificate to get a passport in 2015, I went to the municipal offices of the town in which the hospital is located, and they issued me a certified copy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or