Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 12:56 PM

33 posts, read 33,976 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a little unclear on what is needed for a first time ever U.S. passport application...

Am I correct in assuming that BOTH are required?

- a CERTIFIED copy of birth certificate?
- a FULLY VALID driver's license?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 01:02 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
I think city data is a TERRIFIC source for a lot of information, recommendations and opinions. But sometimes it just makes more sense to get the answers from the official page.

https://www.usa.gov/passport

Old 05-20-2019, 01:04 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Birth or Naturalization certificate, photo ID (valid drivers license, ID card) and don’t don’t forget ...a passport photo. ( they won’t take your picture for you).

Old 05-20-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think city data is a TERRIFIC source for a lot of information, recommendations and opinions. But sometimes it just makes more sense to get the answers from the official page.

https://www.usa.gov/passport
I absolutely DID check the official website, was just a little confused even after the fact... The thing is my friend is trying to get his first time passport to travel with me on an upcoming trip.... And we are wondering if his SUSPENDED driver's license will still suffice as a valid form of identification (at least as a valid form of a "photo ID" even though it is not FULLY valid in the sense when it comes to driving....)

We are also fairly sure that we will need to hunt down a CERTIFIED COPY of his birth certificate from the hospital he was born at coupled with the valid photo ID!

Thank you to anyone who has had experience with this particular scenario! It is not an answer found with a quick FAQ search on the www.gov/travel website unfortunately

Old 05-21-2019, 05:37 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNoor View Post
And we are wondering if his SUSPENDED driver's license will still suffice as a valid form of identification (at least as a valid form of a "photo ID" even though it is not FULLY valid in the sense when it comes to driving....)

We are also fairly sure that we will need to hunt down a CERTIFIED COPY of his birth certificate from the hospital he was born at coupled with the valid photo ID!
This page has more details: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-evidence.html

Yes the birth certificate must be certified. That means it must have a raised seal (one that you can feel with your fingers):
Quote:
U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
Lists applicant’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth
Lists parent(s)’ full names
Has the signature of the city, county, or state registrar
Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
Has the seal of issuing authority
I don't see a direct answer to the question of a suspended drivers license. The requirement is for a valid government issued photo ID. As long as it was only the driving privileges that were suspended I believe it is still considered valid identification as long as it has not expired. To be safe, your friend should take secondary ID such as a social security card or voter's registration card. See this page for more detail: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ification.html

Once the passport has been issued, it can be used for "government issued photo ID" for future renewals.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:54 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Yes, a suspended drivers license is still considered a valid ID, as long as it hasn't expired.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yes, a suspended drivers license is still considered a valid ID, as long as it hasn't expired.
Hertforshire, thank you! Just curious how you know, have you had experience with this? Thanks!

Old 05-21-2019, 07:46 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Hertforshire, thank you! Just curious how you know, have you had experience with this? Thanks!
Not me personally. I've never had a license suspended. But my nephew has.

If your friend is concerned enough, he can call the DMV and ask them if he needs to obtain a non-driving ID card. They'll tell him no, but at least it will set his mind at ease.

It's the driving privileges that have been suspended. Not the identification card.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:55 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
I absolutely DID check the official website, was just a little confused even after the fact... The thing is my friend is trying to get his first time passport to travel with me on an upcoming trip.... And we are wondering if his SUSPENDED driver's license will still suffice as a valid form of identification (at least as a valid form of a "photo ID" even though it is not FULLY valid in the sense when it comes to driving....)

Thank you to anyone who has had experience with this particular scenario! It is not an answer found with a quick FAQ search on the www.gov/travel website unfortunately
I don't know where you are, but in New Jersey you get the certified copy of the birth certificate from the town or county in which you were born, not a hospital.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:22 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know where you are, but in New Jersey you get the certified copy of the birth certificate from the town or county in which you were born, not a hospital.
This^^^.. Also, not part of your question, however, take two pictures of the inside page of the passport and put one copy in your luggage and carry another on your person. In the event you lose or the passport is lost or stolen, you will at least have the copy to show. It will not be valid for travel ,but will certainly make it a lot easier to obtain a new passport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel