Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 04:06 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
So what is a good amount of money to bring to Europe for a 2-3 week trip if flights and trains are already paid?

Here's a rough draft what I've figured, if you can think of other expenses please tell me. Per day:

Hostel: 40
Food/Drinks: 60
Laundry: 10
Souvenirs: 20
Toilettries: 10
Others: 60

Total Per Day: 200 Euros
Total For 2 Weeks: 2800 Euros
Total For 3 Weeks: 4200 Euros
I'm sorry, but this is one of the top 10 silly questions that get asked on web forums every day. We have no idea whatsoever of either your financial means nor your own internal limits on what you are willing to spend on this trip. Basically, we don't know you and everyone is different.

In the absence of any info that might help us I could only assume that you are asking how little you might get away with spending, and if so:

Halve the hostel amount, but the cheaper you go the nastier it will get.
Slash the food and drink budget - with no alcohol and looking for bargains you'll get by on 20 or less per day.
Laundry - wash you socks in the sink - no cost.
Souvenirs - don't.
Toiletries - budget that amount for the whole trip, not per day.
Others - ???????? How long is a piece of string, but again, if spending as little as possible is your goal then slash this to almost nothing. If not, then give us more to go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 04:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I agree with Bob.
You don't have to spend that kind of money, Danny, you might want to just buy point-to-point train tickets rather than a Eurail pass, and a Let's Go or Rough Guide would be very helpful in your planning. Some people like Rick Steves, too.
As Bob mentioned, you can get a nice meal from the grocery store or an open market. It's not only cheap, it's just kind of a nice break from sit-down restaurants.
If you are interested in cheap interEuropean flights and/or want to vary your trip a bit from what you did last time, Ryanair is not the only choice.
(Example: Easyjet flies from Amsterdam to London-Gatwick, and Gatwick has a train station right in the airport's south terminal.)
This site displays various European routes and their airlines:
Fly Cheapo

Old 04-16-2008, 04:19 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
This looks comprehensive about train schedules in Europe: The Man in Seat Sixty-One...

And just to complicate things further, you can consider taking ferries here and there: A Ferry to France, UK, Ireland, Spain, Holland - Book LD Lines Stena Line P&O Ferries and more

Old 04-16-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This looks comprehensive about train schedules in Europe: The Man in Seat Sixty-One...

And just to complicate things further, you can consider taking ferries here and there: A Ferry to France, UK, Ireland, Spain, Holland - Book LD Lines Stena Line P&O Ferries and more
Yeah, ferrying is fun if you have the time. We once ferried from Wales to Ireland, and then Ireland to France. The second one was kinda fun because there were a bunch of jolly Irish footballers singing the whole time.
Another time we ferried overnight from Venice to Corfu.

This is the train info site I use. It is Germany's, but it is easy to use and is for all of Europe. If it shows up in German, you just click on "International Guests."
De Bahn (http://www.bahn.de/p/view/international/englisch/international_guests.shtml - broken link)

Old 04-16-2008, 08:02 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Thanks guys, really. You're all a BIG help!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:36 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
You can read about this pass, you can't buy it in Europe. We're doing the trains next month, but we're taking the night ferry from England to Hoek Van Holland and taking the Eurail from Netherlands/Belgium/France/Switzerland/Italy.

Rick Steves' Eurail Passes: How Railpasses Work

Rick Steves' Eurail Passes: Selectpass

Old 04-17-2008, 12:01 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,227,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
You can read about this pass, you can't buy it in Europe. We're doing the trains next month, but we're taking the night ferry from England to Hoek Van Holland and taking the Eurail from Netherlands/Belgium/France/Switzerland/Italy.

Rick Steves' Eurail Passes: How Railpasses Work

Rick Steves' Eurail Passes: Selectpass
Warptman, when are you coming to Italy?

Watch out for sticker shock. A kids happy meal here at McDonalds is over 6 bucks. A meal deal is 6€ plus.. almost 10 bucks and it isn't as tasty and loaded with fat More in Switzerland.

I had a ho hum Chinese meal last night loaded with MSG for twice the price and one third the quality you get back in the states.

A coffee, if offered on the German train, is 5 bucks. Be careful.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:12 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Thanks Bob. I'm in bush Alaska, I'm used to the high prices here. I normally don't do McDonald's anyways. I'm open to any kind of food.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:13 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Warptman, when are you coming to Italy?

Watch out for sticker shock. A kids happy meal here at McDonalds is over 6 bucks. A meal deal is 6€ plus.. almost 10 bucks and it isn't as tasty and loaded with fat More in Switzerland.

I had a ho hum Chinese meal last night loaded with MSG for twice the price and one third the quality you get back in the states.
If he's traveling around Europe and visiting Italy as part of this then I could probably offer some better advice regarding food.... LOL

Old 04-17-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
If he's traveling around Europe and visiting Italy as part of this then I could probably offer some better advice regarding food.... LOL
heh

I think Bob the Builder *lives* in Italy and is well acquainted with its cuisine.

We eschew MickeyD's as a general rule, especially after reading Fast Food Nation. But in Europe those golden arches can sometimes come in handy, if only for the bathroom. Also, when we, absolutely ravenous, made a brunch stop on a Sunday in Montpelier, France, the only open restaurant in town that we could find was McDonald's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel