Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,227,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
If he's traveling around Europe and visiting Italy as part of this then I could probably offer some better advice regarding food.... LOL
There is something in financial circles called the Big Mac Index. This gives people a frame of reference as to how much buying power their currency has relative to other countries.

the key to financial survival in eating here is to try to eat what the real locals eat. In Umbria where I live, you can get a porchetta sandwich for 2€- That same 2€ buys you a can of Coke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 08:56 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
There is something in financial circles called the Big Mac Index. This gives people a frame of reference as to how much buying power their currency has relative to other countries.

the key to financial survival in eating here is to try to eat what the real locals eat. In Umbria where I live, you can get a porchetta sandwich for 2€- That same 2€ buys you a can of Coke.
Thank god for that! I thought you were recommending McDonalds and chinese food as good eating choices in Italy!

I find the concept of this index intriguing though, as in my travels the pricing of chain food bears little resemblance to the costs of "local" food. E.g. in some Asian towns and cities I noticed that a burger at McDonalds cost more than an exceptionally good sit-down meal in what would have been considered to be a fairly good local restaurant.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
heh

I think Bob the Builder *lives* in Italy and is well acquainted with its cuisine.

We eschew MickeyD's as a general rule, especially after reading Fast Food Nation. But in Europe those golden arches can sometimes come in handy, if only for the bathroom. Also, when we, absolutely ravenous, made a brunch stop on a Sunday in Montpelier, France, the only open restaurant in town that we could find was McDonald's.
And be aware that there is a nasty practice in some McDonalds "restauarants" in mainland Europe to have an attendant who expects you to pay to use the bathroom. I'm sorry - I know they are trying to make a living, but this is McDonalds FFS. I expect the company to pay for their own bathrooms to be cleaned.

Edit: This also happens in bathrooms in other restaurants, bars and even department stores across Europe. Drives me mad.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:10 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
210 Euros worth of toilletries for 3 weeks? And you have 1260 Euros for "other". I don't know what "other" means but assuming it is incidentals that is way too high of an amount, figure 100-200 euros total for incidentals.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:15 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
I'm not going on this trip to try the McDonalds chains there. When in Europe, eat what they eat, right? Its always good to try some other's traditional food, even here in Alaska. Never put offered food down, not very polite. I'm up for trying anything once, well, almost anything.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:17 PM

267 posts, read 1,287,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
So what is a good amount of money to bring to Europe for a 2-3 week trip if flights and trains are already paid?

Here's a rough draft what I've figured, if you can think of other expenses please tell me. Per day:

Hostel: 40
Food/Drinks: 60
Laundry: 10
Souvenirs: 20
Toilettries: 10
Others: 60

Total Per Day: 200 Euros
Total For 2 Weeks: 2800 Euros
Total For 3 Weeks: 4200 Euros
Hi Danny,
I'm in the UK and can recommend travel lodges - they're like top quality motel for little money if you book in advance (like 32 euro's a night). I used to stay in them a lot up and down the UK when I worked for a company I worked all over the country. Only problem is they don't have them in all major cities or they might be 10-15 miles outside on a major route.
Trains in the UK are pretty cheap if you book well in advance and avoid peak times - I can travel 400 miles between my home town York and London for like 28 euro's return.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richt71 View Post
Hi Danny,
I'm in the UK and can recommend travel lodges - they're like top quality motel for little money if you book in advance (like 32 euro's a night). I used to stay in them a lot up and down the UK when I worked for a company I worked all over the country. Only problem is they don't have them in all major cities or they might be 10-15 miles outside on a major route.
Trains in the UK are pretty cheap if you book well in advance and avoid peak times - I can travel 400 miles between my home town York and London for like 28 euro's return.
Thanks! Please DM them to me!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Yes! Yes! The Big Mac Index! It's from the beloved The Economist.
Markets & Data | Big Mac Index | Economist.com

Old 04-18-2008, 09:55 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
The only time I went in a McDonald's in Europe was to use the bathroom.
It was the one on the Champs Elysees in Paris and I peed on a marble wall. There was also a man holding a towel and cologne...

A little bit nicer than my local STD-infiltrated McDonald's/ The only similarity is that no one speaks English at either!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:43 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,072 times
I've traveled on overnight sleeper trains in Russia. It's really fascinating. Somewhat dangerous too, but that adds to the allure. A MUST is a reservation for a private cabin for your party. You don't know what (or whom) you'd end up with otherwise. I think the fare is around $100 round trip to Moscow from the Baltics, not sure though. I had the good fortune to travel with a native who not only spoke the language, but rigged up a locking mechanism on the door to prevent someone from breaking into our cabin. You do need to leave, though, to go to the bathroom, and it's a little scary, but also exciting, like I said. Late at night, you get the feeling you are somewhere deep in Russia. Mysterious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel