U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 10:15 AM

6,040 posts, read 2,938,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The Red Oxx bags (like a good hiking backpack) can hold up to decades of it (as the real road warriors over at FlyerTalk can attest). Most regular luggage cannot.
Well now we've gotten away from the original point of dispute, which was whether one needs an expensive bag like Red Oxx for an African Safari. I've no doubt a really expensive bag would usually last longer than a cheap one, we're definitely in agreement there. I'm don't get the "real" label you're giving people on FlyerTalk I doubt many of their travel credentials would impress me.

Quote:
Also, backpackers, while they are certainly on the road a lot, are generally moving from one city to another city.
Point with backpackers is they put more wear & tear on their (often average quality) bags than most other travelers, including you on your African safari. They are always packing and repacking for the next leg of the trip, and their bags are often treated quite harshly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 11:10 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,586,681 times
Quote:
Is there a store local to you where you could examine a Porter 46 first-hand and perhaps even try it on? There's nothing like first-hand experience with an item to help you decide if it's right for you.
I actually took today off and went to an REI. Tried it on and came home and ordered from Ebags. Ordered the Crimson Red one. I had a 40% off voucher from a previous transaction with them online. Gonna order some of the ebag packing cubes that compress as the ones I currently have.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:13 AM

7,372 posts, read 4,206,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Well now we've gotten away from the original point of dispute, which was whether one needs an expensive bag like Red Oxx for an African Safari. I've no doubt a really expensive bag would usually last longer than a cheap one, we're definitely in agreement there.
As I said, I went with a Red Oxx bag because there's no good way to repair a broken zipper or slashed-open fabric when you're out in the middle of nowhere. You're limited to "fun with duct tape" repairs and crossing your fingers. The quality of the zippers and fabric that Red Oxx uses makes such a failure unlikely. (And the Red Oxx Aviator duffel series is not extremely expensive - just very well built.)

Quote:
I'm don't get the "real" label you're giving people on FlyerTalk I doubt many of their travel credentials would impress me.
Many of the posters on FlyerTalk travel so frequently as part of their work that they are literally always on the road. They travel more miles in a year than most people will do in several decades. That's what I mean when I call them "real" travelers. They need bags that can hold up to lots of abuse courtesy of the airport baggage handlers. And among those folks the same luggage brands keep popping up: Briggs & Riley for checked bags and carryons with wheels, Red Oxx and Tom Bihn for wheel-less carryons. And it's not an accident, as those companies build tough luggage. (For the less expensive stuff, I find Eagle Creek and Osprey stand out in terms of the quality and durability of their products.)

Quote:
Point with backpackers is they put more wear & tear on their (often average quality) bags than most other travelers, including you on your African safari. They are always packing and repacking for the next leg of the trip, and their bags are often treated quite harshly.
And my point is that if their bag fails, they are usually in a location where getting the bag repaired or simply buying a new one is an option. If they wear their bag out on a trip or it falls apart unexpectedly, it's not a disaster for them. (Even so, it's not an accident that so many of them use backpacks built for serious hiking. If a backpack can stand the abuse of a through-hike, it's more likely to hold up under the abuse it will get during a round-the-world gap year trip.)

Old 05-24-2019, 11:15 AM

7,372 posts, read 4,206,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
I actually took today off and went to an REI. Tried it on and came home and ordered from Ebags. Ordered the Crimson Red one. I had a 40% off voucher from a previous transaction with them online. Gonna order some of the ebag packing cubes that compress as the ones I currently have.
I hope you like your new bag! Lots of people really like the Ebags Mother-loader series. (I've never had the luck to see one, alas.)

Old 05-24-2019, 11:23 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,586,681 times
Quote:
I hope you like your new bag! Lots of people really like the Ebags Mother-loader series. (I've never had the luck to see one, alas.)
Thanks. I hope so as well, and believe I will. That Ebags motherload that another poster shared the link to looks really good. And its less that $100!!! I may order one for the holidays to have a back up bag. But I will surely put the Osprey to the test. I have 3 trips scheduled before the end of the summer.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:24 PM

3,692 posts, read 1,446,562 times
here is what our son told us (the family's international traveler...in Ireland for Memorial Day):
do NOT exhibit EXPENSIVE bags. thieves figure that expensive things are inside.
travel with an older, or beat-up bag. he has never had a problem so far....
(Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica, Denmark, England...not France...not yet...Greece...)

Old 05-24-2019, 05:54 PM

3,522 posts, read 903,710 times
I was actually thinking of buying my very first expensive (a level above what you can find in a department store) luggage pieces this year. My trusty black Samsonite (whichever discount line they carry at Kohl's) with the missing side handle has finally suffered enough other issues that I feel justified in moving forward.

I almost feel sad that my bag "only" survived 30-ish round trip flights. The bag was used for countless car trips as well. The ballistic material is still without much damage, only very light frays starting on the seams. The issue is with the non-serviceable hardware loosening up and eventually detaching.

I am looking for recommendations for a replacement 21" roller (or whatever the largest size is that will fit into an overhead compartment) and a good backpack. I have had no issue carrying the backpack as a personal item and stowing under the seat.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:47 PM

1,534 posts, read 698,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Thanks. I hope so as well, and believe I will. That Ebags motherload that another poster shared the link to looks really good. And its less that $100!!! I may order one for the holidays to have a back up bag. But I will surely put the Osprey to the test. I have 3 trips scheduled before the end of the summer.
Ebags has lots of sales, and will give you a 25% discount on your first order if you join their email list.
So be sure not to pay the 'regular' price, even though it's quite reasonable... wait for some kind of deal...
I think they have a Memorial Day sale on now.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:46 AM

6,040 posts, read 2,938,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Ebags has lots of sales, and will give you a 25% discount on your first order if you join their email list.
So be sure not to pay the 'regular' price, even though it's quite reasonable... wait for some kind of deal...
I think they have a Memorial Day sale on now.
They are also sold on Amazon.com, sometimes for cheaper than their own website especially for unpopular colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
here is what our son told us (the family's international traveler...in Ireland for Memorial Day):
(Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica, Denmark, England...not France...not yet...Greece...)
I think there is some merit to this. Obviously no hard data to support the opinion but it makes sense that if a thief sees two potential targets and one bag says "Ralph Lauren" while the other has some no-name/cheaper brand the thief would take the more expensive bag all other factors being equal.

It's just an extension of the usual "don't wear expensive watch" type advice.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:16 AM

38,283 posts, read 56,082,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post

I have always wondered, does it really make a sense to check in a bag costing several hundred bucks or more? It
implies that there are likely expensive items inside. Valuable indicators for any possible thieves...

And yes, others support that opinion:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...ng-stolen.html
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel