U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 07:02 AM

7,405 posts, read 4,259,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I am looking for recommendations for a replacement 21" roller (or whatever the largest size is that will fit into an overhead compartment) and a good backpack. I have had no issue carrying the backpack as a personal item and stowing under the seat.
I’d start by thinking about the features you want each bag to have, and the price range you prefer. That will narrow the options (which are huge).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 07:24 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,208 posts, read 1,595,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
They are also sold on Amazon.com, sometimes for cheaper than their own website especially for unpopular colors.

I think there is some merit to this. Obviously no hard data to support the opinion but it makes sense that if a thief sees two potential targets and one bag says "Ralph Lauren" while the other has some no-name/cheaper brand the thief would take the more expensive bag all other factors being equal.

It's just an extension of the usual "don't wear expensive watch" type advice.
I agree. I spend half the year in Brazil and anything "Designer" is a target for obvious reasons. If you have lets say a Peak Design bag, which is near the $300+ mark, most dont even know what it is. If ever in doubt, if there is an insignia, one can always cover it up. I sew patches rom travel over insignia....

Old 05-25-2019, 08:21 AM

15,275 posts, read 8,705,196 times
I'd love to invest in quality carry-on luggage but with ever-decreasing size limits maybe I should just stick with my fanny pack to be safe? ...I'm kinda serious...

Old 05-25-2019, 09:25 AM

1,906 posts, read 691,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'd love to invest in quality carry-on luggage but with ever-decreasing size limits maybe I should just stick with my fanny pack to be safe? ...I'm kinda serious...
Its an option. You can simply leave with what you have on and buy what you need when you get there. Disposing of it before you return home. For everyone to do that might create too much pollution but its a viable option.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:36 AM

10,083 posts, read 5,195,320 times
Quote:
I am looking for recommendations for a replacement 21" roller (or whatever the largest size is that will fit into an overhead compartment) and a good backpack. I have had no issue carrying the backpack as a personal item and stowing under the seat.
eBags is an excellent source. Navigate to their carryon luggage, filter by the features you want, then sort by customer rating.

Just remember that what fits in the overhead compartment on one plane may not fit in another. 21" rollers are typically gate checked on smaller regional jets.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:19 AM

1,552 posts, read 716,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'd love to invest in quality carry-on luggage but with ever-decreasing size limits
maybe I should just stick with my fanny pack to be safe? ...I'm kinda serious...
22 x 14 x 9 seems to be more-or-less standard now among domestic airlines
(although Southwest allows slightly larger bags); it probably won't change.
In fact, newer airliners are made with larger bins than their predecessors,
since passengers carry on so many bags these days.

I like to travel with a slightly smaller bag -- an "under-seater"
(mine is 18 x 11 x 9). Then I can fly on a 'basic economy' ticket
if I like... I won't need bin space.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:36 AM

9,218 posts, read 8,576,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
here is what our son told us (the family's international traveler...in Ireland for Memorial Day):
do NOT exhibit EXPENSIVE bags. thieves figure that expensive things are inside.
travel with an older, or beat-up bag. he has never had a problem so far....
(Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica, Denmark, England...not France...not yet...Greece...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
I agree. I spend half the year in Brazil and anything "Designer" is a target for obvious reasons. If you have lets say a Peak Design bag, which is near the $300+ mark, most dont even know what it is. If ever in doubt, if there is an insignia, one can always cover it up. I sew patches rom travel over insignia....
I have similarly travelled to many international destinations, taking local trains, ferries, and buses, staying in small hotels, B&Bs, etc. Some of my bags are expensive, although I wouldn’t call then designer, and I have never had a problem.

I keep my truly valuable things (passport, electronics, cameras)in a backpack with me. My luggage typically contains clothing and toiletries, so it is always possible that somebody has rummaged through my stuff and stolen a pair of socks or two.

I don’t travel with anything I am not willing to lose. No jewelry, no family heirlooms, and moderate amounts of cash. If somebody really needs to steal my underwear, more power to them.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:41 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I have similarly travelled to many international destinations, taking local trains, ferries, and buses, staying in small hotels, B&Bs, etc. Some of my bags are expensive, although I wouldn’t call then designer, and I have never had a problem.

I keep my truly valuable things (passport, electronics, cameras)in a backpack with me. My luggage typically contains clothing and toiletries, so it is always possible that somebody has rummaged through my stuff and stolen a pair of socks or two.

I don’t travel with anything I am not willing to lose. No jewelry, no family heirlooms, and moderate amounts of cash. If somebody really needs to steal my underwear, more power to them.
Yeah, Im the same as far as valuables. The couple things I may take everywhere taht are somewhat pricey, may be one good bottle of cologne and one of my Gshocks. I wear the Gshock everyday and have never had an issue. Most places I go I like to do one nice event if I can so I like to bring one of my favcolognes just in case. Other than that the only other thing of value is my tablet.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I was actually thinking of buying my very first expensive (a level above what you can find in a department store) luggage pieces this year. My trusty black Samsonite (whichever discount line they carry at Kohl's) with the missing side handle has finally suffered enough other issues that I feel justified in moving forward.

I almost feel sad that my bag "only" survived 30-ish round trip flights. The bag was used for countless car trips as well. The ballistic material is still without much damage, only very light frays starting on the seams. The issue is with the non-serviceable hardware loosening up and eventually detaching.

Peak Designs is good, Ebag Motherload convertible, Osprey Farpoint series or Porter, and I realy like the Nomatic Travel backpack.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:18 PM

1,552 posts, read 716,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Peak Designs is good, Ebag Motherload convertible, Osprey Farpoint series or Porter, and I realy like the Nomatic Travel backpack.
Have a look at LL Bean's offerings too.... my favorite carry-on is one of theirs... slightly smaller
than the Ebags bag, and with no rigid structure, so it can be scrunched to fit under a seat, etc.
I think the model I bought has been discontinued, but they may have something else that's similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel