U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 08:38 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,584,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Have a look at LL Bean's offerings too.... my favorite carry-on is one of theirs... slightly smaller
than the Ebags bag, and with no rigid structure, so it can be scrunched to fit under a seat, etc.
I think the model I bought has been discontinued, but they may have something else that's similar.
which did you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 08:49 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Another option I just ran across tonight is the Global Companion 40L bag...around $120-150 USD. They also have a bigger 65L backpack for $170.

https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/glob...HR_QKcytBuoaLU

Old 05-31-2019, 09:46 AM

8,607 posts, read 11,111,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
They are worth the price. Super, super tough (I shudder to think of what level of abuse would be required to destroy a Red Oxx bag), and with a lifetime warranty the company actually stands by. You'll never need to buy a second Red Oxx bag to replace a worn-out first one, as the luggage will last longer than you will.
I had to check my Air Boss, and it got eaten/stuck by some piece of rotating equipment in the bowels of the airport. Burned a hole through the top of the nylon. Red Oxx is fixing, no problem, no questions asked, just have to pay freight.

Red Oxx is definitely a cry once when you pay, and never cry again type of deal. We bought the K-12 backpack for my son when he started Kindergarten. He's entering Middle School this fall. Same backpack, and looks as good as the day we bought it. Completely indestructible through six school years so far.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:32 PM

1,524 posts, read 692,061 times
Quote:
Have a look at LL Bean's offerings too.... my favorite carry-on is one of theirs... slightly smaller than the Ebags bag, and with no rigid structure, so it can be scrunched to fit under a seat, etc. I think the model I bought has been discontinued, but they may have something else that's similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
which did you have?
Alas, I can't recall the model name offhand.... mine is olive-colored (they were also offered in black),
and the interior lining is a sort of copper-orange color.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:18 PM

3,468 posts, read 888,659 times
Found a pricey example of a bag that would work perfectly for me:

https://www.ebags.com/product/thule/...uctid=10278572

And can someone tell me what exactly is the big deal with Tumi? I haven't heard of them outside of luggage (saw one of their stores at Southpark Mall in Charlotte) and then later saw a few of their pieces in Saks' Off 5th.

https://www.ebags.com/category/lugga...rry-on~rolling

Old 05-31-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I hope you like your new bag! Lots of people really like the Ebags Mother-loader series. (I've never had the luck to see one, alas.)
Got my Osprey Porter 46 today. I like it. Its about the size of my old GAP backpage I currently use, but has organization. The features are all nice, however I would have liked to have one or two loops attached to my backpack straps to caribiner things thru the airport like my headphone case or travel pillow.
Attached Thumbnails
Travel Bags YOU like in 2019-resized_20190531_192731.jpeg  

Old 05-31-2019, 07:09 PM

7,338 posts, read 4,188,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Got my Osprey Porter 46 today. I like it. Its about the size of my old GAP backpage I currently use, but has organization. The features are all nice, however I would have liked to have one or two loops attached to my backpack straps to caribiner things thru the airport like my headphone case or travel pillow.
If you decide you want to keep the Porter 46, you could probably take the bag to a luggage repair shop and have a loop or a D-ring sewn onto each of the backpack straps. it would be an easy feature to add - but obviously you don't want to do that until you're absolutely certain you won't be sending it back!

Old 05-31-2019, 10:21 PM

1,524 posts, read 692,061 times
Default looked it up

Quote:
Alas, I can't recall the model name offhand.... mine is olive-colored (they were also offered in black), and the interior lining is a sort of copper-orange color.
It was called the Continental Travel Pack... but it doesn't appear on the LL Bean website now.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:27 PM

3 posts, read 620 times
I have a different travel method than most people and use different bags for the season. I do lots of hitchhiking, walking and more walking while traveling the United States. I use my duffle bag in the summer that carries all my summer gear and food that weighs around 8 pounds.

During winter I carry an ALICE pack and my duffle bag all together that weighs about 17 pounds.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
If you decide you want to keep the Porter 46, you could probably take the bag to a luggage repair shop and have a loop or a D-ring sewn onto each of the backpack straps. it would be an easy feature to add - but obviously you don't want to do that until you're absolutely certain you won't be sending it back!
Thats a good idea. Im gonna keep it as I need 2 bags in case something happens. Its amazing how much similar in size my old one is and its 17 years old almost. Going to REI to get an extra set of packing cubes for this one. Then pack for my normal stay in Brazil and see how she fares!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel