U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 10:31 PM

4,414 posts, read 1,642,332 times

Advertisements

Booked a flight in late July.

Planning to spend 3 or 4 days in Istanbul and then fly to Cappadocia to stay a couple of days, then rent a car to drive to Pumakkale, with a short stay or a night in Konya.
Catching a flight back to Istanbul from Denizli.

(Really wanted to visit Gobekli Tepe and The Ephesus, but I guess that will be too adventurous for a 10 days trip with family n kids).

Any tips, suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 01:57 AM

8,936 posts, read 8,400,927 times
Your itinerary seems too ambitious for me. I spent a full week in Istanbul, which was about right, and another week in Antalya, which was a bit too long.

You can easily spend 3-4 days between the Hagia Sofia, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar and other major sites. Add in a cruise up the Bosphorus and an afternoon in Taksim Square and a week is pretty packed.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:09 AM

899 posts, read 329,347 times
Well I would not go to Turkey without going to Cappadocia. It is one of the most incredible places we have ever visited.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Your itinerary seems too ambitious for me. I spent a full week in Istanbul, which was about right, and another week in Antalya, which was a bit too long.

You can easily spend 3-4 days between the Hagia Sofia, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar and other major sites. Add in a cruise up the Bosphorus and an afternoon in Taksim Square and a week is pretty packed.
Yep thatís what it sounds like.
I am staying at a place that is 3 minutes walk to the Blue Mosque and have got Taksim Square as an optional trip if time allowed.

From some very basic research, I am under the impression that Grand Bazar is good to visit but not too ideal for shopping. There are, may be 20 to 25 different kinds of shops that repeat over and over again as you walk through. And then prices are high even after you have intensely negotiate. So, we are planning to keep it short.

So I am thinking itís going to be mainly the Blue mosque, the Hagiya Sofia museum, the Topkapi palace, Basilica Cistern and a trip to Asian side for a sea food lunch, and dinner at this two places reomended by Mark Vines in his YT channel.

I am also eyeing a hamam visit for a Turkish bath and massage before leaving Istanbul.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:29 AM

101 posts, read 28,870 times
I have nothing to add other than I'm jealous! I would love to travel to Turkey (Istanbul and Cappadocia but other sites as well). Have fun! Take some good pics

Old 05-26-2019, 11:49 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,892,953 times
Yes, a bit envious! Stay safe and enjoy!!

Old 05-26-2019, 08:58 PM

17,259 posts, read 10,188,976 times
That's awesome.

Turkey is one of those places I'd love to go if I had enough money and time.

That country seems to love cats, lots of cats roaming about the streets. Doesn't get any better than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o-FcAlDS7o

Old 05-27-2019, 09:06 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,182,880 times
I have not been to much of Turkey, but can completely recommend the Ephesus area.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
That's awesome.

Turkey is one of those places I'd love to go if I had enough money and time.

That country seems to love cats, lots of cats roaming about the streets. Doesn't get any better than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o-FcAlDS7o
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I have not been to much of Turkey, but can completely recommend the Ephesus area.
Yep, the more I research, the more places and cities I would wanna visit in Turkey.
Just looked at Mount Nemrut, City of Bodrum, Trabzon, Sumela Monestery, Rize, Antalya, Amasra and perhaps the entire Black Sea line, and God knows what else.

Looks like you need at least 3 months in Turkey.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 AM

2,276 posts, read 1,560,368 times
Following because someday I hope to visit Turkey. I had a day stopover in Turkey where I stayed few blocks away from Blue Mosque. That few hours I got to spent in Turkey, I feel in love & can't wait to spend a proper week or 2. I was told to shop at Spice Market (its same items as Grand Bazar but much cheaper).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel