U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-29-2019, 03:46 PM
 
Location: DFW
555 posts, read 156,530 times
Reputation: 878

Advertisements

The Romantic Road is a bucket list item for me, and I might be able to make it happen next year. I want to start *somewhere (?) (Flight from DFW to somewhere), take a Eurail to Frankfurt, get a car and drive the Romantic Road, continue to Salzburg for the Sound of Music tour, and fly home.
Main issue: not much time off at work. This will be the very expedited version of the trip

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2019, 07:51 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,579 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Reputation: 23707
Get an international work assignment in western Europe!!! was great to get PAID to travel!

Thanks for the great hints,
Love my trips to this region.

There is lots of web advice...
https://theculturetrip.com/europe/ge...romantic-road/
https://www.tripsavvy.com/germany-romantic-road-1520184

For a short trip;
1) Do off season with LONG days (May / June)
2) Set your objectives (Stays / viewpoints / local experiences (concerts / markets...))
3) Find reservations (Stays are most restrictive)
4) Plan the route.
5) Drive early and late (less traffic faster travel, nice sun / contrasts for pics / more wildlife +/-
6) Eat before dawn and after dark (less time stuck inside / waiting in line)
7) Equip yourself for expedited trips. (Supplies, resources, phone apps)
8) Avoid public transportation schedules (Self drive where it makes sense - rural / small towns)
9) Have a plan B at all times (weather, health, traffic, interesting adventures, accidents, new friends...)
10) Do not book each day solid, fun stuff often is spontaneous.

I like to stay with locals, my travel directories are stuffed with western Europeans who like to do the same. They MAKE you trip with personal touches and info, but... it is more time consuming (off the beaten path). If single / under age 40.. consider Servas.org (relational international travel since 1947) FREE stays WW.

If you are a 'tourist' traveler... stick to the path...

If you are a 'relationship' traveler.. establish a 'Start-Stop point'... keep an open schedule during trip, smell the roses and savor the home cooked meals and delight in singing around the fireplace.

If hotels are your thing... enjoy YOUR silence and privacy, and head home with your pictures as memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2019, 09:52 AM
 
Location: DFW
555 posts, read 156,530 times
Reputation: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Get an international work assignment in western Europe!!! was great to get PAID to travel!

Thanks for the great hints,
Love my trips to this region.

There is lots of web advice...
https://theculturetrip.com/europe/ge...romantic-road/
https://www.tripsavvy.com/germany-romantic-road-1520184

For a short trip;
1) Do off season with LONG days (May / June)
2) Set your objectives (Stays / viewpoints / local experiences (concerts / markets...))
3) Find reservations (Stays are most restrictive)
4) Plan the route.
5) Drive early and late (less traffic faster travel, nice sun / contrasts for pics / more wildlife +/-
6) Eat before dawn and after dark (less time stuck inside / waiting in line)
7) Equip yourself for expedited trips. (Supplies, resources, phone apps)
8) Avoid public transportation schedules (Self drive where it makes sense - rural / small towns)
9) Have a plan B at all times (weather, health, traffic, interesting adventures, accidents, new friends...)
10) Do not book each day solid, fun stuff often is spontaneous.

I like to stay with locals, my travel directories are stuffed with western Europeans who like to do the same. They MAKE you trip with personal touches and info, but... it is more time consuming (off the beaten path). If single / under age 40.. consider Servas.org (relational international travel since 1947) FREE stays WW.

If you are a 'tourist' traveler... stick to the path...

If you are a 'relationship' traveler.. establish a 'Start-Stop point'... keep an open schedule during trip, smell the roses and savor the home cooked meals and delight in singing around the fireplace.

If hotels are your thing... enjoy YOUR silence and privacy, and head home with your pictures as memories.

Thanks so much! I have actually read those articles you sent, but I always like second opinions. Do you get your stays with locals form air BnB? I would be with my spouse more than likely. I will only have minimal chance to stop and smell the roses- as much as I would rather do that,my employer just does not allow the kind of time off it takes, so I really have to cram the trip in as fast as I can do it. Stupid US work standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2019, 04:22 PM
 
9,194 posts, read 9,273,624 times
Reputation: 28802
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
The Romantic Road is a bucket list item for me, and I might be able to make it happen next year. I want to start *somewhere (?) (Flight from DFW to somewhere), take a Eurail to Frankfurt, get a car and drive the Romantic Road, continue to Salzburg for the Sound of Music tour, and fly home.
Main issue: not much time off at work. This will be the very expedited version of the trip

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I might drive it from South to North. This would mean starting your trip by flying into Munich. Is that an option for you? I haven't driven the whole length of the Romantic Road, but I had driven parts of it. There is a lot to see.

On the south, the Romantic Road begins in Fussen which is the location of the famous Neuschwanstein Castle which is definitely one of the most famous landmarks in Germany. I would definitely make sure I had time to do this. I would than drive north and possibly do a quick tour through a place called Dinkelstuhl which has some buildings that date back to the Middle Ages. After Dinkelstuhl, you definitely want to stop in Rothenberg. Rothenburg is an old Medieval town that is very well preserved that is surrounded by a city wall. I would consider staying the night there. Definitely take the night watch tour there if you are there in the evening. The north end of the road is in Wurzburg which I have never seen, but I've gotten good reports about as a destination. The length of the whole road is 220 miles. So, you can do it quickly in just a couple of days if you want. Driving in Germany has been a good experience for me during my three trips there. Roads are well marked and maintained. Signs are easy to understand. Just remember if you drive on the autobahn to stay out of the left lane unless you want to go about 130 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2019, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
Reputation: 8033
Is "Romantic Road" a specific marked itinerary that I don't know about, or just a generic term for a drive in 'romantic' countryside, as opposed to touristic click-bait?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2019, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Canada
9,076 posts, read 8,345,715 times
Reputation: 19437
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Is "Romantic Road" a specific marked itinerary that I don't know about, or just a generic term for a drive in 'romantic' countryside, as opposed to touristic click-bait?
It's a specific area. My parents did this trip in 1971 and it's on my bucket list as well, having grown up watching the slides and videos many times.

https://www.romanticroadgermany.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2019, 07:13 PM
 
Location: NW Indiana
1,319 posts, read 1,183,448 times
Reputation: 2079
I traveled a section of the Romantic Road in 2006. It is a very nice drive with amazing scenery. I would highly recommend seeing Nordlingen. It is a walled city, built in an ancient meteorite crater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2019, 09:26 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,579 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Reputation: 23707
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
... Do you get your stays with locals form air BnB? I would be with my spouse more than likely. I will only have minimal chance to stop and smell the roses- as much as I would rather do that,my employer just does not allow the kind of time off it takes, so I really have to cram the trip in as fast as I can do it. Stupid US work standards.
No Air B&Bs for me (if I can help it)
I prefer hosts who have a passion for hospitality, rather than a need for revenue (Air B&B)


How much time do you have?
Will you be renting a car?
Will it be a one-way rental?


This trip can be done in 'segments', or do next time you change jobs and have a month off to enjoy it.

When work got in the way of my vacations / time off... I asked for a leave of absence or took time without pay.

Extra time off is a major negotiating tool in 'new-jobs'.

Fortunately I was in a 'demand- career. Could quit at 10AM and have 3 offers by noon. My managers knew 'time-off' and travel was a major motivator for me (much more than pay / promotions...) so they arranged travel assignments and gave me significant breaks between projects, but I often worked 16 - 20 hr days for 1+ yrs when projects were critical.

As per above posts... list your priorities of this trip and see if you can meet them with your available time off.

Plan accordingly,
you really need to know your "musts" of this route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 07:49 AM
 
Location: DFW
555 posts, read 156,530 times
Reputation: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
No Air B&Bs for me (if I can help it)
I prefer hosts who have a passion for hospitality, rather than a need for revenue (Air B&B)


How much time do you have?
Will you be renting a car?
Will it be a one-way rental?


This trip can be done in 'segments', or do next time you change jobs and have a month off to enjoy it.

When work got in the way of my vacations / time off... I asked for a leave of absence or took time without pay.

Extra time off is a major negotiating tool in 'new-jobs'.

Fortunately I was in a 'demand- career. Could quit at 10AM and have 3 offers by noon. My managers knew 'time-off' and travel was a major motivator for me (much more than pay / promotions...) so they arranged travel assignments and gave me significant breaks between projects, but I often worked 16 - 20 hr days for 1+ yrs when projects were critical.

As per above posts... list your priorities of this trip and see if you can meet them with your available time off.

Plan accordingly,
you really need to know your "musts" of this route.
StealthRabbit, you're awesome. Yes, time off is a major sticking point for me. This is a whole other thread! Tomorrow is my 2 yr anny at work, so I am going to see what I can negotiate, BTW. I am in a moderately high demand profession, so I know I could get something else, too. Thank you!

The itinerary I imagine at this point is:
About 8 days
Fly into Frankfurt and rent a car
Make the drive through Germany and Austria making the stops suggested by others in thread, day 2,3,4,5
Day 6 Salzburg
Day 7 Sound of Music tour in Salzburg
Day 8 turn in car, fly out of Salzburg to go home

Other option is to really squeeze in a lot and fly into Amsterdam and spend a day there, then begin the drive down and cram in Romantic Road in 2 or 3 days

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top