U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 03:26 AM

17,268 posts, read 19,560,434 times

Advertisements

Personally, I find New York City and Washington DC to be the most interesting cities in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 05:23 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,659,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Almost everything in D.C. including the Smithsonians, are free. A lot more sites than people realize are free or have free nights. Even the Philadelphia Museum of Art is free Wednesday evenings. Of course it helps to live near them. But I think most if not all cities have free places to see or at least free or discounted times.

And it's not just the Smithsonians that are free. The whole mid-Atlantic region has a lot to do without spending much. Beaches are free, parks are free (and even the ones that charge admission openly allow people to hike into them for free; for example it's quite easy to walk into Great Falls National Park from Riverbend park next door), many fairs and events are free. Walking the cherry blossom route? Free. Watching Rolling Thunder? Free. Gettysburg? Free. A day trip to Williamsburg? Free, although you have to buy a ticket to go inside some of the buildings. But you can walk around the whole site, enjoy the gardens, see all the animals, enjoy the Grand Illumination, and talk to the interpretors without spending a dime. Which reminds me, fireworks at Wolftrap? Free. A lot of local day trips can be done for nothing more than the cost of gasoline. Places/events that charge admission often have "free" days as well. All the national parks have free days.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 06-02-2019 at 05:32 AM..

Old 06-02-2019, 07:13 AM

40 posts, read 16,653 times
I think most of the people who do not travel outside their immediate community, are intellectually lazy and just don't have any interest in the world outside of their family and friends. How sad!

Old 06-02-2019, 08:44 AM

7,186 posts, read 11,234,288 times
I've been to all of the places on OP's list except for Deep Creek Lake.

I can't wait to retire and spend some quality time back in DC, especially at the Smithsonian. I don't think we've covered all of the buildings of the museum yet.

When we lived in MD, I used to hang out at Gettysburg in my free time. Lots of things to see, history, hiking, etc. It's a great (mostly free) place.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:51 AM

903 posts, read 233,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
I think most of the people who do not travel outside their immediate community, are intellectually lazy and just don't have any interest in the world outside of their family and friends. How sad!
Wow, this a pretty elitist and condescending attitude. Perhaps you'd have even more time to visit all those great places if you weren't so worried about how others are living their lives.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:05 AM

1,182 posts, read 480,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
The media says travel and tourism are booming but I talk to very few people who have been anywhere interesting. I live in Washington DC and I think one of the best things about living here is all the interesting things to see in the City and 250-300 miles around.

Within 300 miles of Washington DC a person looking for a long weekend vacation could visit:

New York City
Philadelphia
Scenic areas in West Virginia, Shenandoah National Park and Western MD (Deep Creek Lake, etc.), Poconos, Catskills, etc.
Annapolis
Ocean City, Virginia Beach
Civil War Sites and Museums such as Gettysburg PA

I could go on and on. But when I talk to people about my great weekend trip to places like this, they can't relate and say they had never been to most of those places.

Have your friends, neighbors, and coworkers been to the many interesting weekend trip destinations near where you live?
You havenít spoken to me. Have been to NYC, Philadelphia, Annapolis, Harperís Ferry, Richmond, Washington, Norfolk, Charlottesville, Williamsburg (and the rest of the Historic Triangle), Raleigh, Dover DE, Harrisburg and Lancaster PA, Charleston WV, and some of the Civil War sites such as Gettysburg and Fredericksburg. Tons of great attractions in this region.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:24 PM

56,136 posts, read 54,613,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Free but, boring.
You've got to be kidding.

The Air & Space Museum alone is fascinating.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
You havenít spoken to me. Have been to NYC, Philadelphia, Annapolis, Harperís Ferry, Richmond, Washington, Norfolk, Charlottesville, Williamsburg (and the rest of the Historic Triangle), Raleigh, Dover DE, Harrisburg and Lancaster PA, Charleston WV, and some of the Civil War sites such as Gettysburg and Fredericksburg. Tons of great attractions in this region.
I have to get to Harper's Ferry. I am fascinated by John Brown.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I've been to all of the places on OP's list except for Deep Creek Lake.

I can't wait to retire and spend some quality time back in DC, especially at the Smithsonian. I don't think we've covered all of the buildings of the museum yet.

When we lived in MD, I used to hang out at Gettysburg in my free time. Lots of things to see, history, hiking, etc. It's a great (mostly free) place.
Neither have I.

Besides, I believe only a third of the collection is ever on display at one time.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:33 PM

1,806 posts, read 809,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You've got to be kidding.

The Air & Space Museum alone is fascinating.
Went there because it's free and close to other attractions, it would be very interesting with kids I guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel