U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 02:55 PM

22,656 posts, read 28,672,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
New York City
Philadelphia
Scenic areas in West Virginia, Shenandoah National Park and Western MD (Deep Creek Lake, etc.), Poconos, Catskills, etc.
Annapolis
Ocean City, Virginia Beach
Civil War Sites and Museums such as Gettysburg PA.........?

I've been to all of those places, plus, in DC, the Smithsonian, the different memorials, and seen the 4th of July fireworks from the DC mall.

I don't live in DC, though, so maybe I don't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 02:57 PM

3,195 posts, read 1,905,510 times
Quote:
The media says travel and tourism are booming but I talk to very few people who have been anywhere interesting. I live in Washington DC and I think one of the best things about living here is all the interesting things to see in the City and 250-300 miles around.

Within 300 miles of Washington DC a person looking for a long weekend vacation could visit:

New York City
Philadelphia
Scenic areas in West Virginia, Shenandoah National Park and Western MD (Deep Creek Lake, etc.), Poconos, Catskills, etc.
Annapolis
Civil War Sites and Museums such as Gettysburg PA

I could go on and on. But when I talk to people about my great weekend trip to places like this, they can't relate and say they had never been to most of those places.

Have your friends, neighbors, and coworkers been to the many interesting weekend trip destinations near where you live?
Well, I grew up in the DC area and I, along with pretty much everyone I knew had been to most of those places. I never went to Deep Creek Lake, but lots of my friends had gone there. So, I don't know who it is you are talking to.

Are you talking to people who moved to the DC area from somewhere else as adults and have only lived there for a few years? If they're married and especially if they have kids, if they work full time, often weekends get filled up with errands or just recovering from the week. At one point, I lived in the Philadelphia suburbs, and I rarely went down to see my parents in the MD suburbs because door to door took 3 hours, and if I did that, I was tired the next week, and nothing had gotten done around the house -- no grocery shopping, no lawn mowing, no laundry, etc. So even though it wasn't a very long trip, and we enjoyed going to my parents' house, we didn't do it as often as the proximity might make it seem like we would. So I can certainly understand if people don't want to go off every possible place every weekend.

If you're single and young and your job is not that stressful and doesn't have long hours, then yes, it's great to go away every chance you get and see everything you can.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:52 PM

20,534 posts, read 16,605,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Went there because it's free and close to other attractions, it would be very interesting with kids I guess?
I think it’s more of a “boy” thing, although I liked some of the old stuff, like they had an early space capsule you could get in and see how unimaginably tiny it really is inside. Plus Kitty Hawk and other historic and iconic planes. I am not a science person but it was still enjoyable...just not as enjoyable as seeing Archie and Edith’s chairs and the other iconic American culture items at the American History museum, lol. I wasn’t a big fan of the Native American museum (to me it was boring) But we had an awesome meal in their food court. They have foods from many different types of Native American groups, all different depending on whether they were from the plains, the far north, southwest, etc. Cactus salad was surprisingly yummy!

Old 06-02-2019, 05:33 PM

56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Went there because it's free and close to other attractions, it would be very interesting with kids I guess?
I guess. I only had one.

I first went long before I had a kid because a friend of mine moved to the DC area and I used to visit her a lot. Of all the Smithsonians, Air and Space was the most interesting to me. I also like history a lot, so I do know I liked some related to that.

Then about ten years ago, when my daughter was 17, the two of us went for a long weekend, and she also liked the Air and Space Museum best.

But the very best museum we went to on that visit was not part of the Smithsonian system, and it's not there any more. The National Museum of Crime and Punishment. We were in there for four hours.

Most of the artifacts are now in Tennessee, it seems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...%26_Punishment

Old 06-03-2019, 04:32 AM

6,185 posts, read 2,852,918 times
The Hotel I work for has seen an increase of travelers. Families doing weekend getaways.

From Amusement parks to Adventure trips.

If I ask any of the locals, we all yawn at the tourist traps.

I will say that one of the most memorable trips was the week long cabin stay in the Great Blue Ridge Mountain (Virginia) . Spectacular! totally disconnected from technology. No TV, No internet. It was Heavenly!
The trails , sunrise /sunsets are awe inspiring!

With the Outdoor concerts abound in the DC area I am surprised the locals aren't going to those.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:38 AM

6,513 posts, read 9,047,067 times
We've visited DC, but nothing North of DC. Would love to visit NYC or Philly, but living in the Midwest our vacations usually take us to a warm Beach or a regional attraction.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:04 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
Quote:
The media says travel and tourism are booming but I talk to very few people who have been anywhere interesting. I live in Washington DC and I think one of the best things about living here is all the interesting things to see in the City and 250-300 miles around.

Within 300 miles of Washington DC a person looking for a long weekend vacation could visit:

New York City
Philadelphia
Annapolis
Civil War Sites and Museums such as Gettysburg PA

I could go on and on. But when I talk to people about my great weekend trip to places like this, they can't relate and say they had never been to most of those places.

Have your friends, neighbors, and coworkers been to the many interesting weekend trip destinations near where you live?
I lived as a child in Baltimore & Philadelphia and I know I visited as a child NYC as well as day cruises on the Hudson River, the Catskills (on different trips), D.C., Annapolis, and some civil war sites (probably Gettysburg or VA/West VA but I would have to check with my parents).

As an adult living in the NYC area, I have gone twice to Niagara Falls and years ago on day trips in Long Island and have been to various places in NJ (weekend or day trips) as well as New Haven (a weekend trip) & Hartford (holiday or weekend trips) in CT.

I think being that my family lived overseas as a child I got to used making day trips and weekend trips always to see other places outside my immediate area wherever I have lived. But I get the feeling most people that have lived all their lives in the same place usually don't do much sightseeing in their local areas.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:26 AM

5,459 posts, read 2,920,100 times
Quote:

I have been to all of the above plus lots more. I agree it is pretty sad when people do not take advantage of where they live. I have visited every landmark within a couple of hundred miles of where I live.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:34 AM

20,534 posts, read 16,605,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I guess. I only had one.

I first went long before I had a kid because a friend of mine moved to the DC area and I used to visit her a lot. Of all the Smithsonians, Air and Space was the most interesting to me. I also like history a lot, so I do know I liked some related to that.

Then about ten years ago, when my daughter was 17, the two of us went for a long weekend, and she also liked the Air and Space Museum best.

But the very best museum we went to on that visit was not part of the Smithsonian system, and it's not there any more. The National Museum of Crime and Punishment. We were in there for four hours.

Most of the artifacts are now in Tennessee, it seems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...%26_Punishment
We were going to go to that recently in Gatlinburg but we didnít have time. Now I wish we had lol. We did go to the Titanic museum which was awesome (although seems a weird place for it).

Old 06-03-2019, 06:40 AM

17,226 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've been to all of those places, plus, in DC, the Smithsonian, the different memorials, and seen the 4th of July fireworks from the DC mall.

I don't live in DC, though, so maybe I don't count.
You live in Idaho and have been to Deep Creek Lake and Ocean City in Maryland?

I have to say I'm a bit impressed with that. I imagine not too many people living in your area have even heard of these places, let alone been to them. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel