U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 07:45 AM

40 posts, read 16,482 times

Advertisements

A lot of the hipsters who worked with me in DC spent all their time hanging out at coffee bars and moving up and down the metro line to different friends homes for parties. They were too cool to even leave the District of Columbia. (They would say, "you visited West Virginia, you have got to be kidding! I am not going to go to a place full of hillbillies!")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 07:54 AM

1,336 posts, read 3,476,310 times
I grew up two miles outside of DC. We didn't have much when it came to money but my parents were big on day trips. I have been to all the places mentioned by OP (plus some). However, I only did New York as a young adult working for the government when I worked a two-week temporary duty in the New York office. Didn't have much time for site seeing but really didn't care. I never really had any desire to visit New York City any way.

I take DC for granted because it has always just been "there" for me. I really don't think much about it anymore and don't care to go there. I hate the traffic and the parking and I hate taking Metro anywhere. I used to work in DC also so it's a lot of "been there, done that" for me.

I still love my day trips or weekends away from home. So much to do in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:10 AM

441 posts, read 177,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
The media says travel and tourism are booming but I talk to very few people who have been anywhere interesting. I live in Washington DC and I think one of the best things about living here is all the interesting things to see in the City and 250-300 miles around.

Within 300 miles of Washington DC a person looking for a long weekend vacation could visit:

New York City
Philadelphia
Scenic areas in West Virginia, Shenandoah National Park and Western MD (Deep Creek Lake, etc.), Poconos, Catskills, etc.
Annapolis
Ocean City, Virginia Beach
Civil War Sites and Museums such as Gettysburg PA

I could go on and on. But when I talk to people about my great weekend trip to places like this, they can't relate and say they had never been to most of those places.

Have your friends, neighbors, and coworkers been to the many interesting weekend trip destinations near where you live?
Yes, 30-50 years ago when I had the money to pay admission.

I also visited Washington DC when I was about 10. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed the experience. But I have no desire to repeat it. (Back in those days NYC any any other place 300 miles away was not considered "close" to Washington. )

One of the best tourist places I ever visited on my own was Roosevelt's Little White House. I thoroughly enjoyed that visit ... 30-odd years ago.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:00 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Quote:
A lot of the hipsters who worked with me in DC spent all their time hanging out at coffee bars and moving up and down the metro line to different friends homes for parties. They were too cool to even leave the District of Columbia. (They would say, "you visited West Virginia, you have got to be kidding! I am not going to go to a place full of hillbillies!")

The beauty of DC is there's something for everyone. I may have done all the things on your list, but you know what, I lived there for more than 20 years and never once went to a hipster bar. Or a hipster party. Who's to say my experience of living in the DC area is any more authentic that theirs?

Old 06-03-2019, 10:49 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,433,244 times
Quote:
The media says travel and tourism are booming but I talk to very few people who have been anywhere interesting. I live in Washington DC and I think one of the best things about living here is all the interesting things to see in the City and 250-300 miles around.

Within 300 miles of Washington DC a person looking for a long weekend vacation could visit:

New York City
Philadelphia
Scenic areas in West Virginia, Shenandoah National Park and Western MD (Deep Creek Lake, etc.), Poconos, Catskills, etc.
Annapolis
Ocean City, Virginia Beach
Civil War Sites and Museums such as Gettysburg PA

I could go on and on. But when I talk to people about my great weekend trip to places like this, they can't relate and say they had never been to most of those places.

Have your friends, neighbors, and coworkers been to the many interesting weekend trip destinations near where you live?
In my opinion, the Mid-Atlantic / Northeast is the best area to travel to other states/cities b/c everything is relatively close by.

I live outside of NYC, under/@ 5 hours I can be in Boston, DC, Philly, Cape Cod, Newport, Providence, Baltimore, Atlantic City, Jersey Shore, Rehoboth Beach etc etc.

People living in Miami, let's say, it just seems so far from other states.

Most people I come in contact have @ least been to the places I've mentioned. I'm north of you, so places like VA Beach are a bit of stretch for a weekend.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:53 AM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
Quote:
As soon as you mentioned hipsters, I was like "O boy, that explains it."

Old 06-03-2019, 11:53 AM

3,872 posts, read 1,644,470 times
I used to live half an hour outside of San Francisco. One neighbor had lived next door for three years, but had never gone to the city.

I think many people prefer to keep to their routine, never trying anything new. They take comfort in the familiar and have no interest in the exotic appeals of the next town over.

That may be "normal" --until the last 100 years or so, most people only went as far as they could walk roundtrip in a day. Anything outside of a 15-mile radius was foreign.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:40 PM

21,182 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
Yes, 30-50 years ago when I had the money to pay admission.

I also visited Washington DC when I was about 10. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed the experience. But I have no desire to repeat it. (Back in those days NYC any any other place 300 miles away was not considered "close" to Washington. )

One of the best tourist places I ever visited on my own was Roosevelt's Little White House. I thoroughly enjoyed that visit ... 30-odd years ago.
That's unfortunate and very short-sighted. Your adult preferences/world view has been shaped since and experiences along the way have changed how DC today drastically differs from your junior high class trip.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:57 PM

606 posts, read 151,213 times
It depends on what you like. I tend to visit U.S. cities only when I go to a conference. Otherwise, they just seem like congested places full of social problems; not the ideal place for a vacation. If I do go to D.C., it'll probably be to visit the museums.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:54 PM

9,123 posts, read 2,994,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's a common occurrence that a lot of people who live in the vicinity of New York City have never been to many of the attractions that people all over the world come to see.

I grew up 30 miles from the Statue of Liberty. I went there for the first an only time when I was 31 years old because someone visiting from Wisconsin wanted to see it. I could SEE the Statue from where I worked and when walking along the river at lunchtime, but I had never gone to the actual island where it sits.

I worked in the World Trade Center for 18 years before I ever went to the observation deck at the top.

Last year, after working in NYC for 39 years, I had to go to a meeting at a company located in the Empire State Building. That was the first time I was ever inside the ESB.
I knew a couple of guys from Brooklyn in the Army, who said they had never been outside the 12-block neighborhood where they lived, until they were drafted. One was Jewish, the other Irish, but they were culturally identical. They didn't know a lot of everyday things we take for granted, like what the source of eggs and milk is. We had a lot of fun with them, the first time we took them out on a hike in a very wild swamp, that had alligators and snakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel