U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 03:25 PM

1,360 posts, read 547,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The thing I like about DC is how you can leave your car parked, and just go around on Metro - while I am a car guy to the core, I hate urban driving and DC is maybe the worst driving environment in the US.
Boston and NYC are much worse than DC for drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 04:28 PM

5,587 posts, read 5,100,423 times
None of the places you mention are hurting for tourists so the fact that you've talked to many people who have not been there isn't particularly relevant. Some people aren't as touristy as others.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:36 PM

17,248 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Boston and NYC are much worse than DC for drivers.
There are some people who say that drivers in Boston are bad.

But I've driven in Boston many times and never experienced this. Go figure.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:59 PM

378 posts, read 103,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
None of the places you mention are hurting for tourists so the fact that you've talked to many people who have not been there isn't particularly relevant. Some people aren't as touristy as others.
Just what I was thinking. I live in the Amish farm country, in Lancaster county PA. We are right at 8.5 million yearly visitors, who spend two billion dollars while they are here. At this time of year, I can't drive five minutes without seeing a DC plate, and weekend traffic is often a mix of PA, NJ, NY, MD and DC plates. Of the hundreds of buses in the area on a busy day, the majority seem to be from companies that are located within a 3-4 hour drive of here. I'm sure the locals in Gettysburg would report similar observations.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:26 PM

17,248 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Just what I was thinking. I live in the Amish farm country, in Lancaster county PA. We are right at 8.5 million yearly visitors, who spend two billion dollars while they are here. At this time of year, I can't drive five minutes without seeing a DC plate, and weekend traffic is often a mix of PA, NJ, NY, MD and DC plates. Of the hundreds of buses in the area on a busy day, the majority seem to be from companies that are located within a 3-4 hour drive of here. I'm sure the locals in Gettysburg would report similar observations.
I wish that whole area was more of a well-kept secret. The Amish don't seem to like people from modern civilization intruding on their turf.

BTW, people should ride the new stainless steel metro trains in DC.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:10 AM

20,564 posts, read 16,631,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Most of them are probably from farther away though. I think OP is really talking about the phenomenon of people regsrdless of where they live, not really taking advantage of the attractions in their own backyards.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:11 AM

20,564 posts, read 16,631,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I wish that whole area was more of a well-kept secret. The Amish don't seem to like people from modern civilization intruding on their turf.

BTW, people should ride the new stainless steel metro trains in DC.
They make a lot of money from those people, I think they’re fine with it. Although there are some tourists who mock them, get mad if theres a buggy in front of them and generally act like a**es.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:11 AM

40 posts, read 16,576 times
When I lived in Northern VA, I was only about five minutes from the HUGE 400 store Tysons Corner Shopping Center. Yes, it is popular but I would talk to countless people who lived just minutes from the Mall and had never been there. I would ask them if there was ever a day or evening when they just wanted to walk around and people watch. Maybe they were bored or just needed something to do. Why didn't they just check out Tysons Corner to see what all the talk is about? They never bothered. OMG!

Old 06-06-2019, 09:14 AM

56,082 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have never lived in DC but have traveled there for business quite a bit. Actually, if I lived in DC for say a year, I doubt I would see all the sights in DC, not even just the ones you can reach with the Metro. That's assuming I was there for work. Most DC jobs are fairly high-stress, cut out for a Type A person. Hard to get it all done in just 40 hours, consistently at least.

The thing I like about DC is how you can leave your car parked, and just go around on Metro - while I am a car guy to the core, I hate urban driving and DC is maybe the worst driving environment in the US.
The weird thing about DC is that the main tourist area is deserted at night.

I was visiting my friend in Arlington and we drove through one foggy night. Not a soul around. I took this.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:15 AM

56,082 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
When I lived in Northern VA, I was only about five minutes from the HUGE 400 store Tysons Corner Shopping Center. Yes, it is popular but I would talk to countless people who lived just minutes from the Mall and had never been there. I would ask them if there was ever a day or evening when they just wanted to walk around and people watch. Maybe they were bored or just needed something to do. Why didn't they just check out Tysons Corner to see what all the talk is about? They never bothered. OMG!
I would have absolutely no interest in going to a mall, no matter how big and famous it was.

If I absolutely have to go to one, I make sure I go on off-hours when fewer people are around so I can park close and get in and get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel