Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 01:44 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Or maybe they work a lot of hours and are lucky to get their laundry done on weekends.
I agree not everyone has the time to do day trips on the weekend as they may need the weekends to errands that they don't have time to do in the middle of the work week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

When I lived in DC I didn’t have a car, nor any need for one.
Many people in the NYC area also don't have cars and that can make it more difficult for one to do day trips outside the immediate metro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I had a corporate apartment in NYC from 1999-2003 and have never gone to the Statue of Liberty. I do like riding the ferry seeing it at night!
I visited Liberty Island twice in the 1990s (and the first time went up the pedestal level as the line to the crown was simply too long). But since 9/11 with all the security restrictions I wouldn't dream of bothering to going (so I am glad that I went back then!). Nowadays one can simply get a great view of it from the free Staten Island ferry (which I have done many times) which I think is good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 01:46 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's a common occurrence that a lot of people who live in the vicinity of New York City have never been to many of the attractions that people all over the world come to see.

I grew up 30 miles from the Statue of Liberty. I went there for the first an only time when I was 31 years old because someone visiting from Wisconsin wanted to see it. I could SEE the Statue from where I worked and when walking along the river at lunchtime, but I had never gone to the actual island where it sits.

I worked in the World Trade Center for 18 years before I ever went to the observation deck at the top.

Last year, after working in NYC for 39 years, I had to go to a meeting at a company located in the Empire State Building. That was the first time I was ever inside the ESB.
I have been to the ESB and to the top of the old WTC … but never to the Statue of Liberty, just passed it on the Staten Island Ferry.

Lifelong NYC area resident.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Some people travel because the dont have any family or friends. How sad!
Nothing wrong with solo travel.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:58 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,418 times
Museum at Virginia Military Institute (where General Patton and General Marshall graduated) is another interesting spot not far from D.C.

Shenonandoah National Park is just average. Most of the national parks east of the Rockies are not awe inspiring.

The new landmark at NYC -- Vessel -- is really magnificent.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:01 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,866,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Nothing wrong with solo travel.
Nope, not at all. But to say its sad because people would rather spend time with family and friends is, well, sad. Im not intellectually lazy, although some might disagree, but I would much rather spend time with my friends and family than riding in a car, on a bus or a plane just to go visit somewhere Ive never been, or have any interest in going. It wrong for the OP to think everybody should travel, just because he/she does.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Nope, not at all. But to say its sad because people would rather spend time with family and friends is, well, sad. Im not intellectually lazy, although some might disagree, but I would much rather spend time with my friends and family than riding in a car, on a bus or a plane just to go visit somewhere Ive never been, or have any interest in going. It wrong for the OP to think everybody should travel, just because he/she does.
Everyone has a different mindset on travel. I love my family & friends and love spending time with them but if an opportunity arises for me to see a new place, then I'm always going to do that over seeing people. (Ideally, I'd love for them to come … I usually travel with my husband now but would go solo if he couldn't go or no one else wanted to).

I'm a world traveler who has been to over 30 countries. I am the only one of my family and friends who travels and while they always support me and are excited for me, they don't seem to understand it.

Conversely, I don't understand the people who don't like traveling. Like, are you not curious about other parts of the world? My dad is one of these people and I asked him about it. He said to me "I can just watch documentaries or TV shows about places if I am interested in them" … not quite the same, but I guess for some people that's enough.

Whatever floats your boat

Old 06-04-2019, 02:20 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I have been to the ESB and to the top of the old WTC … but never to the Statue of Liberty, just passed it on the Staten Island Ferry.

Lifelong NYC area resident.
Have you been to the ESB observation deck?

That is a killer view. One of my favorite.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Yes I have been up in the point, lol.

It's awesome. I love this city!

Old 06-04-2019, 04:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

My favorite thing to do after work was the Rainbow Bar for happy hour. Back when the Cipriani family owned it, the bartender let me tip him $20 to steal two Harry's Bar ashtrays. You could still smoke in the bar at the Rainbow Room.
https://www.google.com/search?q=harr...K524UZvBwbCJM:

When Sex And The City was in its heyday, I actually ran into Chris Noth on the street (heading home from his theater job at the time) and came THIS close to asking him to join me for a drink.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:12 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,741,584 times
I've lived in several different areas all over the country, and I often meet people who've never been to nearby sights. Some people are just less adventurous, or less interested in what you find interesting. I've met many Californians who've never been to Yosemite or Lake Tahoe. I've met people here in Tennessee that have never been the one-three hour drive to any number of state and national parks. tourist attractions, etc. I've met many people who've never left the state of their birth. Even New Yorkers who've never been to Manhattan.

I've been to Washington DC exactly one time, and visited the Washington, Lincoln, and Jefferson memorials, the White House (well stood outside the gate anyway), the botanical gardens, and the air and space museum, and we were only there for 3 days. Doesn't mean anything at all. People are all different, they enjoy doing different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel