Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 05:36 AM

40 posts, read 24,339 times

Advertisements

The media says travel and tourism are booming but I talk to very few people who have been anywhere interesting. I live in Washington DC and I think one of the best things about living here is all the interesting things to see in the City and 250-300 miles around.

Within 300 miles of Washington DC a person looking for a long weekend vacation could visit:

New York City
Philadelphia
Scenic areas in West Virginia, Shenandoah National Park and Western MD (Deep Creek Lake, etc.), Poconos, Catskills, etc.
Annapolis
Ocean City, Virginia Beach
Civil War Sites and Museums such as Gettysburg PA

I could go on and on. But when I talk to people about my great weekend trip to places like this, they can't relate and say they had never been to most of those places.

Have your friends, neighbors, and coworkers been to the many interesting weekend trip destinations near where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 05:58 AM

4,242 posts, read 940,033 times
They say they've never been to NYC, Philadelphia, Annapolis, or Ocean City? I find that very hard to believe.

Some people aren't hikers/National Park people, and some aren't Civil War buffs, but most people enjoy visiting cities and the ocean.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:24 AM

4 posts, read 2,219 times
Most of the people that I know just get a glimpse of the places rather than exploring them nicely.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:46 AM

27,291 posts, read 28,359,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
Within 300 miles of Washington DC a person looking for a long weekend vacation could visit:

New York City
Philadelphia
Scenic areas in West Virginia, Shenandoah National Park and Western MD (Deep Creek Lake, etc.), Poconos, Catskills, etc.
Annapolis

I could go on and on. But when I talk to people about my great weekend trip to places like this, they can't relate and say they had never been to most of those places.
Well, maybe you need to hang with the right people. I have been to all of those except for the Poconos.

There is a lot to see in the mid-Atlantic region. Most people have to live in the area for a long time to visit many places within 300 miles of Washington DC. Even then, they won’t cover everything.

You will always find new places you have never been to before.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:54 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,085,928 times
Sounds more like those people weren't in the mood for a conversation at that moment. Or maybe they don't enjoy hearing about your particular adventures? Try a different group of people, and instead of telling them what you did ask them for suggestions of things to do for a daytrip. You might get different results.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:05 AM

88,076 posts, read 83,928,707 times
Quote:
The media says travel and tourism are booming but I talk to very few people who have been anywhere interesting. I live in Washington DC and I think one of the best things about living here is all the interesting things to see in the City and 250-300 miles around.

New York City
Philadelphia
Annapolis

Have your friends, neighbors, and coworkers been to the many interesting weekend trip destinations near where you live?
It's a common occurrence that a lot of people who live in the vicinity of New York City have never been to many of the attractions that people all over the world come to see.

I grew up 30 miles from the Statue of Liberty. I went there for the first an only time when I was 31 years old because someone visiting from Wisconsin wanted to see it. I could SEE the Statue from where I worked and when walking along the river at lunchtime, but I had never gone to the actual island where it sits.

I worked in the World Trade Center for 18 years before I ever went to the observation deck at the top.

Last year, after working in NYC for 39 years, I had to go to a meeting at a company located in the Empire State Building. That was the first time I was ever inside the ESB.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:09 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,966,963 times
Quote:

New York City
Philadelphia
Annapolis

I have been to all of those except Ocean City.

I do try to visit areas with a reasonable driving distance of my home, but it can take years, particularly if you have other hobbies and activities.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:21 AM

128,048 posts, read 11,812,674 times
Some people do not like to leave their home towns, even for a day trip. I love it & we try to do a long day trip every few months, or more in summer.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:15 PM

50,177 posts, read 35,836,157 times
Quote:

New York City
Philadelphia
Annapolis

I don't think it's unusual to have people travel to far away places, but neglect what's in their own backyard. I've lived within 20 minutes to an hour of Philly my entire life, but I never did the Constitution Hall tour, Liberty Bell, all those things, until I had company from Texas who wanted to go. My first visit to the Philadelphia Museum of Art was in my late 40's. I don't know why this is. When I lived in Ocean City, I went to all the parades, festivals and fireworks, the Ghost Tour, etc and was surprised to find most of my friends and neighbors who lived there generally skipped all that. Where if they were on vacation in another state they'd probably have gone! Just some odd part of human nature. Maybe it's that we feel it'll always be there, while on vacation you know you have limited time.

I will say I'm kind of a homebody in general, and I despise traffic and crowds, so that affects what I do when. OC was easy because I could walk to everything.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:42 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,770,640 times
I’ve visited Washington DC and some of the surrounding area attractions over the years and loved it. So very interesting, however most of the friends and people I would talk with about my trips seem to be uninterested in the information and comments that I provide. A number of people just don’t want to know where you’ve been and watch you enjoyed seeing along the travels, they’d rather talk about “sports” or “politics” instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel