Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 05:18 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
I think most of the people who do not travel outside their immediate community, are intellectually lazy and just don't have any interest in the world outside of their family and friends. How sad!
Or maybe they work a lot of hours and are lucky to get their laundry done on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 07:38 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
I grew up in MD and have been to most of the places listed on OP's list. Most during childhood thanks to my parents when we were younger - mainly due to looking to get 2 rambunctious boys out of the house and burn off some energy. [Fond memories of my 16 yr old self driving around Deep Creek Lake by myself on a boat we rented - that would never happen today.] They weren't big into long drives (probably due to trying to keep us occupied for more than a couple of hours), so the ones further out I visited as an adult. Opinion is that those experiences have not really happened for my children. Granted we live further south so the drives are longer, but mainly because that time away from home was replaced by travel sports/dance (usually to middle of nowhere places). Additionally, there are far more entertainment/enrichment opportunities in ones own home now, compared to 30-40 yrs ago - so people get stuck relying on those as a habit. Lastly, I absolutely hate big cities, navigating through them if I have a car or waiting in line for public transportation. Personally, it puts me in ill temper which is not the healthiest state to be in while shepherding children.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:52 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Lastly, I absolutely hate big cities, navigating through them if I have a car or waiting in line for public transportation. Personally, it puts me in ill temper which is not the healthiest state to be in while shepherding children.
I regularly drive in Washington DC, Philadelphia and New York City and have little issue with it. I will say that some of the drivers in New York can be a little intimidating.

However, the main issue is with parking. It is often hard to find street parking in these cities (without getting towed) near the major tourist attractions. You may have to pay upwards of $25 to $50 a day to park in a parking garage.

That is why it is better and cheaper to take the metro/subway. I'm doing that more now that my kids are a little bit older.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:45 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We were going to go to that recently in Gatlinburg but we didn’t have time. Now I wish we had lol. We did go to the Titanic museum which was awesome (although seems a weird place for it).
I had no idea there was a Titanic museum down there. It IS a weird place for it. You would think it would be in the city.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:46 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Or maybe they work a lot of hours and are lucky to get their laundry done on weekends.
That made me laugh. That was my life for a number of years.

Also, money. I remember taking my daughter on a few nearby weekend trips, like Mystic, CT, when she was little. But that meant renting a better car (I only had an old car because I was a commuter and couldn't afford both a monthly rail ticket AND a car payment), hotel costs, food, attractions. I couldn't do weekends like that all the time.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:30 AM

50,765 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had no idea there was a Titanic museum down there. It IS a weird place for it. You would think it would be in the city.
It was actually in Pigeon Forge, not too far from Dollywood. It was a half size replica ship. You get a boarding pass of an actual Titanic passenger and their story of why they were traveling (mine was a third class passenger going to NY to get married). You find out in the end if your person survived or not. Tons of memorabilia and letters, a lot of pics from a pastor who got off the ship at one of the ports before the iceberg. They had a tank of 28 degree water so you could get a sense what it was like, we could only keep our hand in for about 8 seconds.And replicas of the deck to try to walk, one angled to duplicate the angle at 1am, the next 20 minutes later and the last about 20 minutes after that. We could only walk up the first one, even pulling ourselves with the rail!

To me the most fascinating aspect is that the ship held the richest most powerful men in the world, and they all died willingly so women and children could get a seat. There was a woman too who gave up her seat for a mom and baby. And one wealthy wife who got off the lifeboat at the last minute to stay and die with her husband. Lots of heroism.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:35 AM

2,135 posts, read 1,791,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
In my opinion, the Mid-Atlantic / Northeast is the best area to travel to other states/cities b/c everything is relatively close by.

I live outside of NYC, under/@ 5 hours I can be in Boston, DC, Philly, Cape Cod, Newport, Providence, Baltimore, Atlantic City, Jersey Shore, Rehoboth Beach etc etc.

People living in Miami, let's say, it just seems so far from other states.

Most people I come in contact have @ least been to the places I've mentioned. I'm north of you, so places like VA Beach are a bit of stretch for a weekend.
I completely agree. I grew up in Miami and we never really traveled to other states. I think before my senior year of high school, I had only visited 2 other states. However I did spend most of my school vacations in the Cayman Islands since that is where my mother's family lived. Other than that, most domestic trips were to the standard FL attractions, WDW or Busch Gardens.

The ability to travel to other areas from the DC area is one of the things that I love about living here. The idea that you can get from one state to another in a matter of minutes is still fascinating to me, considering that getting to another state from Miami by car was nearly a day's drive.

While I have visited most of the places the OP listed, I think that people who fit in that category are those that are spending time in other places. I have found that I am not as eager to do a deep dive into many of the local offerings because I know that they will always be there. Those that live in this area have a luxury that we are blind to, so I am usually happy to host visitors and show them around because it forces me to explore the city more.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:24 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
I think most of the people who do not travel outside their immediate community, are intellectually lazy and just don't have any interest in the world outside of their family and friends. How sad!
I think people find you odd because you make snap judgments about people you know nothing about.

When I lived in DC I didn’t have a car, nor any need for one.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:26 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's a common occurrence that a lot of people who live in the vicinity of New York City have never been to many of the attractions that people all over the world come to see.

I grew up 30 miles from the Statue of Liberty. I went there for the first an only time when I was 31 years old because someone visiting from Wisconsin wanted to see it. I could SEE the Statue from where I worked and when walking along the river at lunchtime, but I had never gone to the actual island where it sits.

I worked in the World Trade Center for 18 years before I ever went to the observation deck at the top.

Last year, after working in NYC for 39 years, I had to go to a meeting at a company located in the Empire State Building. That was the first time I was ever inside the ESB.
I had a corporate apartment in NYC from 1999-2003 and have never gone to the Statue of Liberty. I do like riding the ferry seeing it at night!

We would go to Wild Blue in the North Tower for Happy Hour and swing dancing but never went up to the observation deck.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:44 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Quote:
Some people travel because the dont have any family or friends. How sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel