U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:10 AM

2,069 posts, read 3,501,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Planes do flight in thunderstorms
No they most certainly do not! Planes fly around or over thunderstorms. They never willingly fly through them.

Most thunderstorms are localized, and on-board radar allows the crew to find a route around them. But a line of storms with no breaks (such as those associated with a fast moving cold front) can cause some big delays. And a storm sitting on top of your origin or destination airport will definitely cause delays.

The airline industry as a rule does not allow for much flexibility in their crew scheduling. Your flight crew might be arriving an hour or less before your flight is scheduled to depart. Any delay of the arriving flight can impact your departure. Consequently, weather delays can ruin crew schedules and can cause delays throughout the day, and some times in to the next few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 09:12 AM

9,773 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Thanks. I found the 6 digit code and pulled up the flight. There isnít a check in option though. You have to wait until 24 hours before?
Also coming back itís a 737 but going there itís a Canadair Regional Jet 20 - 50 seat operated by Skywest DBA United express. Do you feel more turbulence on a small plane? I hate take off. Is it scarier in a smaller plane? My friend said she went on one of these from United that was even smaller and the inside seemed really old and part of the window shade near them was coming apart.
Yes, You can only check in 24 hrs before.

Stop freaking yourself out. No matter the size of the plane, you're absolutely safe.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:21 AM

7,292 posts, read 4,145,583 times
Quote:
Thanks. I found the 6 digit code and pulled up the flight. There isnít a check in option though. You have to wait until 24 hours before?
Yes, you have to wait until 24 hours before the flight to check in online.

Quote:
Also coming back itís a 737 but going there itís a Canadair Regional Jet 20 - 50 seat operated by Skywest DBA United express. Do you feel more turbulence on a small plane? I hate take off. Is it scarier in a smaller plane?
You REALLY need to stop freaking yourself out!

Turbulence is harmless. It poses no risks to the plane. It doesn't matter how much of it you feel.

And takeoff feels the same on any plane. One minute you're going fast, then the next minute you feel everything smooth out as the wheels lose contact with the ground.

The only significant difference you will feel is that the smaller plane will feel more cramped, because the fuselage is smaller and curves in more. Regional jets don't offer a great flying experience, but they are safe.

If you have a big carryon, be prepared to gate-check it on the regional jet flight. Those planes often don't have overhead bins large enough to hold a big carryon. You get a tag from the gate agent which you attach to the bag, then as you board the plane you leave the tagged on the jetbridge just outside the entrance to the plane. You get it back on the jetbridge on arrival. Just make sure there's nothing you absolutely can't afford to lose (like medications or keys) in the gate-checked bag!

Old 06-05-2019, 09:30 AM

319 posts, read 205,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
ORD is my home airport and if you haven't flown in awhile and likely dont have TSA Precheck or global entry, are not familiar with the checkin procedure then 2 hours would be my suggestion. Yes airlines fly in Tstorms.
Global entry is for entry, not exit. And for incoming international flights.

Clear is for fast track through security. Better than TSA Precheck but more $$$.

I assume ORD has Clear. haven't lived in Chicago for 4+ years.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:48 AM

7,292 posts, read 4,145,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
Global entry is for entry, not exit.
Global Entry comes with TSA Precheck as one of its benefits. So it does speed up getting through the security screen. (Not that it matters, as I am sure the OP has no idea what Global Entry, TSA Precheck, or Clear are - nor should he need to, as an infrequent flyer.)

Old 06-05-2019, 10:33 AM

9,181 posts, read 9,265,199 times
Quote:
Is it dangerous to fly in storms? A lot of turbulence? Yes I know they won’t fly if not safe but still worries me. What is more dangerous, thunderstorms or snow storms?
The last commercial airplane that crashed in the USA and caused fatalities crashed ten years ago in February 2009 near Buffalo, New York.

Do you still think flying on a commercial airline flight is unreasonably dangerous?

Old 06-05-2019, 10:38 AM

379 posts, read 147,572 times
Why did it crash?

Also worried now because I’m being told their are tropical storms in the gulf. We are flying to Savannah GA and also going to Hilton Head.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:57 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Why did it crash?

Also worried now because Iím being told their are tropical storms in the gulf. We are flying to Savannah GA and also going to Hilton Head.
You have more of a chance of getting into a car accident on your way to the airport than you do on an airplane.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:03 AM

379 posts, read 147,572 times
I know but you have more of a chance of surviving a car crash than a plane crash.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:08 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,093,885 times
Quote:
Why did it crash?

Also worried now because Iím being told their are tropical storms in the gulf. We are flying to Savannah GA and also going to Hilton Head.
Calm down. First of all, you are not going anywhere near the gulf flying between Chicago and Hilton Head.
The whole purpose of air traffic control is to make sure that plane fly in safe patterns. If there were any dangerous storms your flight would be directed around it.

Planes crash for a variety of reasons and the cause of one crash will not necessarily be the cause of another crash, with the exception of the recent MAX 8 crashes and you don't have to worry about those since those planes aren't flying right now. Right now your main worry seems to be the weather and I honestly can't think of a weather related crash off hand recently so it's not going to be the cause.

If you are that anxious you may want to consider buying a lounge pass before your flight and arrive very early. Lounges are usually a nicer place to wait for your flight, you will have food and beverages available for free, and can have a drink or two to take the edge off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or