U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 12:29 PM

399 posts, read 157,286 times

Advertisements

https://m.accuweather.com/en/weather...-news/70008450
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 12:36 PM

9,838 posts, read 5,041,038 times
Tropical disturbance =/= tropical storms.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:39 PM

There's no need to check the weather obsessively on Tuesday and Wednesday for a flight on Sunday. It won't affect the safety of your flight. It might delay or cancel your flight, but there's nothing you can do about it either way.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:22 AM

9,224 posts, read 9,295,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Why did it crash?

Also worried now because Iím being told their are tropical storms in the gulf. We are flying to Savannah GA and also going to Hilton Head.
Ok, I'm out of this conversation. I can see being rational means nothing to you.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:27 AM

56,217 posts, read 54,695,623 times
Quote:
Why did it crash?

Also worried now because Iím being told their are tropical storms in the gulf. We are flying to Savannah GA and also going to Hilton Head.
Right now, during daylight hours, there are about 5000 aircraft in FAA airspace.

Worldwide, 80,000 planes take off and land every day.

But I get it. I used to be irrationally afraid to fly, also. What helped is that I looked around the plane and prayed for everyone else to arrive safely. I figured that even if God wanted to kill me, he wouldn't take out all those innocent others, too.

IOW, irrational prayer can help irrational fear.

What do tropical storms in the gulf have to do with Savannah or Hilton Head, which are cities on the Atlantic Ocean?

Old 06-06-2019, 09:31 AM

56,217 posts, read 54,695,623 times
Quote:
I know but you have more of a chance of surviving a car crash than a plane crash.
Do you know who John Nash was?

A brilliant mathematician at Princeton, famous for his abilities despite suffering from schizophrenia.

A couple of years ago he and his wife flew to Norway to accept an award. They flew home from Norway and picked up a cab at Newark Liberty International Airport. On the way home, they were killed on the NJ Turnpike (weren't wearing seatbelts). He was 86 years old. What were the odds?

Besides, if you die in a plane crash, it will be fast, and your final views will likely be spectacular.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:46 AM

11,043 posts, read 4,005,025 times
Most flights fly above the storm. Always be a few hours early.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:17 AM

399 posts, read 157,286 times
Is really bad turbulence I concern? I know above you stated it isn’t but I’m talking about when you feel like the plan drops. I’ve been through that and when I look around people seem calm or are asleep.

I know it’s the Atlantic Ocean and not the gulf but I was just going by the article I posted.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:25 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,437,948 times
The only concern would be rare, major turbulence that might cause injury to flight attendants or anyone not wearing a seat belt. Pilots are getting constant updates on turbulence and will turn on the seatbelt sign, maybe halt beverage service (and in some cases, order the FAs to their seats immediately if things could get dicey--I've literally been on fewer than five flights out of hundreds where this has happened).

The plane is just encountering some wind. It's not falling out of the sky.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Is really bad turbulence I concern? I know above you stated it isnít but Iím talking about when you feel like the plan drops. Iíve been through that and when I look around people seem calm or are asleep.

I know itís the Atlantic Ocean and not the gulf but I was just going by the article I posted.
The only danger during turbulence is not having your seatbelt on. If other people are calm or asleep, they're probably frequent flyers and are very aware that turbulence is not dangerous. Follow their lead.

You are really working yourself into a tizzy unnecessarily. Tens of thousands of flights every single day ... just in the US alone. You are absolutely safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or