U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM

9,797 posts, read 5,008,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
we enjoy flying.
we do not enjoy going to the airport,
parking, security, waiting, waiting some more,
(flight fun!) then waiting in baggage claim, waiting
for a ride, etc.

several years ago, i did a "live" time and motion experiment:
my clock started when i left my house and stopped when i walked into the hotel/motel.
trip one was by air: a little over 6 hours to Washington, DC.
trip two i drove the whole way: 5 hours flat.
I've done the same experiment between my home and my sister's (she lives near Dulles).

Because I live close to the airport and have PreCheck, my total air travel time is rarely more than 3-4 hours (generously figuring an hour for ground transpo on both ends, an hour or two in both airports, and an hour in the air).

Driving, which involves I-95 (a.k.a. Satan's Parking Lot) takes 4-1/2 hours with no traffic. But let's be real, there's gonna be traffic. There is ALWAYS traffic. So travel time is usually closer to 5-1/2 hours.

For me, the big disadvantages to driving are the fact that I'm stuck in one position the entire time, and I have to be alert the entire time. When I fly, I'm moving around, I'm people watching in the airport, I'm reading a book, doing some work, taking a nap, watching something on my iPad, etc. The only thing I don't like about flying is the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 04:56 PM

9,797 posts, read 5,008,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I enjoy flying AND driving long distances.

I used to hate flying because I would get very anxious as soon as the flights were booked. I was so afraid of the plane crashing. I flew anyway, because I'd rather suffer from a two-and-a-half hour anxiety attack than drive from NJ to Florida. I remember when they first forbade smoking on the planes I thought, "How the hell do they expect people to suffer through two and a half hours of flying without a cigarette????"

I managed, of course. But I was still afraid to fly.

And then...9/11 happened. I was inside of One WTC. The year after was a strange one, psychologically, that I've talked about before on CD, and we were all left with varying degrees of PTSD, most of which for me only shows up for a few weeks every year when the ghosts begin to rise in August.

However, around 2003 I decided to take a trip to the Bahamas with a friend, and I noticed something strange. We booked the flights, and I wasn't anxious. As the trip approached, I wasn't anxious. I got to the airport, wasn't nervous, got on the plane, was relaxed and laughing and then the plane took off, and I realizing I was thrilled. It was SO COOL leaving the ground and flying up into the clouds, then over the water, then coming in for a landing on this beautiful island.

The only explanation I have is that I used up most of my lifetime supply of fear of death That Day. Or else I know that you can be killed walking back to your office with a cup of coffee in your hand as easily as you can day in a plane crash. Or that when you are going to die, you are going to die, and there might not be much you will be able to do about it.

At any rate, I've flown multiple times since then, including my first flights to and from Europe.

Flying's pretty cool. Looking forward to the next one.
Wow ... thank you for sharing that. It's really very interesting how something so traumatic sort of flipped a switch within you without your even realizing it.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
I liked flying a lot more before Dr. Dao vs. UA.

Free flying (bumps) was a lot better than paying for flights.

As a family we got bumped 4x in one day, that covered yrs of flying (Always booked Monday AM and Friday PM and got bumped a lot.)

Usually a bump was only 2 hr delay, but when longer... the kids enjoyed the free food vouchers, 1st class upgrades, overnights in hotels (we always packed swimwear in carry-on's).

No rush, we homeschooled and would take long field trips (couple months...)

Old 06-05-2019, 05:20 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times
I hate airports until I am through security. Then, it depends on the airport, crowdedness and/or whether I qualify to use the frequent flyer lounge.

I am indifferent to sitting in coach for under 3 hours. Much more than that and I get uncomfortable, though the advent of screens with TV/Movies has made it more tolerable.

I hate longer flights, 7+ hours, in coach. No matter the distraction of in-flight entertainment, the seats are just too small and physically uncomfortable after a few hours.

I almost enjoy long trans-Atlantic flights if I have the good fortune to be in 1st class. At the very least it is reasonably comfortable with wide, reclining seats you can sleep in, and they bring alcoholic drinks, food, and hot towels.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:41 PM

9,207 posts, read 8,298,253 times
I love it in two situations, First Class or Private Jet.

Otherwise, no, not ever.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:59 PM

6,197 posts, read 2,862,660 times
The actual flight experience is often exhilarating!

Sorry but most folks seem to be focused on the before and after and NOT the plane flight itself.

I recall a puddle jumper flight. I was in stitches. The six seater had turbulence and I swear we barely made it over some buildings . Talk about low flying!
The crew staff were what made the flight fun! Fwiw...some off duty pilots are great at telling jokes!

So yes ..flying I enjoy.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:22 PM

1,100 posts, read 818,908 times
Immensely when I am sitting up front in the left seat. Other than that not much of a fan anymore..

Old 06-05-2019, 07:39 PM

6,569 posts, read 8,101,081 times
Not a fan. Fly too much for work. Even business class got off fourteen hours to Tokyo or even the short hop to London of six hours. I drive now when I can. Retired I enjoy seeing the country and controlling my pace and route.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:27 PM

4,403 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Doesn't bother me a bit.

1. Have someone drive me to airport 3 hours before flight.
2. Find my airline desk, go where I'm told
3. Go from line to line, following directions.
4. Wait at gate until flight is called
5. Get in plane, sit down, and shut up
6. Smile at flight attendant, I might need her later.
7. Get off plane when everyone else does
8. Find airport shuttles.
9; Check into whatever room they give me.
10. Sleep like a rock.

Nothing ever goes wrong.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:13 PM

847 posts, read 230,472 times
I love it! I try not to do it too often because it's hard on the environment. But I really enjoy the whole process. Being at the airport, finding my way to the gate, people watching as I wait for my flight, seeing people coming and going from all corners of the world, cramming into a plane with people of all walks of life, taking off, being in the air... and that moment when you feel the plane touch down in a country you've never been before... it's so exciting and never gets old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or