U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 11:01 PM

6,952 posts, read 3,857,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
That's a huge difference though. Its impossible to find a decent priced hotel in Cuba. There are too few of them and they are full. If you travel there you are reduced to staying in the equivalent of an "Air B n B". I think the Spanish name for it is "casa particulara". My wife and I wanted a cruise ship for those reasons. We knew at the end of the day we could go back to our ship and have a decent dependable place to stay.

I won't get started on politics. I will say that I am just fed up with the fact that the sole goal of the current administration is no larger than to reverse every decision made by the last administration. The mentality of certain people in government is about on par with a three year old child.
It is impossible to find a decent priced hotel in Cuba if you don't look. There are newer privately owned hotels in Cuba which are legal for Americans to use while traveling under the "in support of the Cuban People" license. Most are in the Havana area although others do exist. The casa particulars are available all over the country and are available through Airbnb as well as sites like Expedia. They range from rooms in private apartments to full luxury houses; from pre-revolution to 21st century. One need not subject themselves to the limitations inherent in the cruise system to have decent dependable housing which will allow the visitor to get beyond the capitol. The biggest limitation now being an American cannot legally get there on a cruise ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 11:03 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,781,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
That's a huge difference though. Its impossible to find a decent priced hotel in Cuba. There are too few of them and they are full. If you travel there you are reduced to staying in the equivalent of an "Air B n B". I think the Spanish name for it is "casa particulara". My wife and I wanted a cruise ship for those reasons. We knew at the end of the day we could go back to our ship and have a decent dependable place to stay.

I won't get started on politics. I will say that I am just fed up with the fact that the sole goal of the current administration is no larger than to reverse every decision made by the last administration. The mentality of certain people in government is about on par with a three year old child.
If I can help your travel go any easier, I'd like to convince you that these Casa Particulars are entirely awesome. Ours was a 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom condo on the 17th floor of a high rise about 3-4 miles from Old Havana. It was a nice neighborhood, had hot water, was a short walk to the university, an enjoyable walk to Estadio Latinoamericano, and I chose it over any hotel option I saw.

I absolutely recommend going the Airbnb route because it's a beautiful experience.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:06 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,781,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
John F Kennedy
Lyndon Johnson
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Jimmy Carter
Ronald Reagan
George H W Bush
Bill Clinton
George W Bush
75% of Barack Obama's term

And, PERHAPS Dwight Eisenhower.

Those are all the presidents who kept Cuba travel restrictions were in place.

Now.. That being said.. I disagree with the change as well. I find it pretty hypocritical that the US turns a blind eye to China or Saudi human rights abuses but tries to crush tiny little Cuba which is basically stuck as a 1950's society. and that whole list above is guilty of it.
:Nods: I personally wouldn't support any of those men, and not just because of their handling of Cuba, and let's absolutely add Eisenhower to the list of disgusting administrations with his handling of Iran in 1953.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:09 AM

1,183 posts, read 466,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... was on my bucket list. Sadly, I didn't made it on time. Now it's too late..

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...lights-to-cuba

Cruise ships and group tours have been banned from visiting Cuba as of Wednesday, per new regulations from the Trump administration.
It seems that the only way to travel legally to Cuba is under "support for the Cuban people" program.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/1350691001
I read the entire thread el niña but will respond to your post.

You can fly to Cuba via Bahamas (or you could when I loved in Florida in tbe past. Provably limited flights, though. Otherwise, fly from other nearby cities, outside of tge US.

No credit cards ATM or debit cards can be used so it's cash on the body at all Times.

2 currencies, one for locals; 1 for foreigners.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:23 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,966,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It is impossible to find a decent priced hotel in Cuba if you don't look. There are newer privately owned hotels in Cuba which are legal for Americans to use while traveling under the "in support of the Cuban People" license. Most are in the Havana area although others do exist. The casa particulars are available all over the country and are available through Airbnb as well as sites like Expedia. They range from rooms in private apartments to full luxury houses; from pre-revolution to 21st century. One need not subject themselves to the limitations inherent in the cruise system to have decent dependable housing which will allow the visitor to get beyond the capitol. The biggest limitation now being an American cannot legally get there on a cruise ship.
The problem you run in to is payment since American credit cards probably won't work to reserve the room. I think I read about someone using paypal or some third party site that someone used for their particular hotel. I'm sorry I don't remember the particulars. I just remember that the American CC wouldn't work, and they found a mutual usable third party system.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The problem you run in to is payment since American credit cards probably won't work to reserve the room. I think I read about someone using paypal or some third party site that someone used for their particular hotel. I'm sorry I don't remember the particulars. I just remember that the American CC wouldn't work, and they found a mutual usable third party system.
A third party can be as simple as something like Expedia with which I booked one of the casa particulares I stayed in recently. Not much of a problem at all. There is also the simple option of paying for lodgings using cash.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
A third party can be as simple as something like Expedia with which I booked one of the casa particulares I stayed in recently. Not much of a problem at all. There is also the simple option of paying for lodgings using cash.
Thank you for confirming that US credit card reservations are a problem that needs to be dealt with via a third party vendor. I don't think a hotel employee in Cuba is going to reserve you a room based on your assurance that you will pay in cash when you get there. I am sure they would take cash if you showed up looking for a room, if I misunderstood you and that is what you mean.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Thank you for confirming that US credit card reservations are a problem that needs to be dealt with via a third party vendor. I don't think a hotel employee in Cuba is going to reserve you a room based on your assurance that you will pay in cash when you get there. I am sure they would take cash if you showed up looking for a room, if I misunderstood you and that is what you mean.
Allow me to rephrase. Having recently traveled in Cuba I did not find the non-acceptance of American credit cards to be a problem either in pre-planning or during my time in the country.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Allow me to rephrase. Having recently traveled in Cuba I did not find the non-acceptance of American credit cards to be a problem either in pre-planning or during my time in the country.
Good to know. If I ever go again it will be through a broker, so I don't have to worry about the details. I have a limited amount of money and travel time so, I generally try to go to different places and see different things, but Cuba is well worth the trip. Friendly and helpful people without any animosity towards Americans.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:11 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,007,646 times
Manaña
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or