U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 07:56 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,450,329 times

Advertisements

I really want to go to Cuba.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 01:34 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I really want to go to Cuba.

I had just started planning for next summer trying to do a trip with my dad to Cuba. Neither of us are big cruise people, but Cuba is an exotic enough destination that I thought he and my Korean stepmother might enjoy it..

All told.. Things could change back by next year, so.. Nothing to do but sit and wait now.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:35 PM

3,265 posts, read 5,786,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I had just started planning for next summer trying to do a trip with my dad to Cuba. Neither of us are big cruise people, but Cuba is an exotic enough destination that I thought he and my Korean stepmother might enjoy it..

All told.. Things could change back by next year, so.. Nothing to do but sit and wait now.
I'd read this thread. You don't have to wait.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:59 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,450,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

My co-worker went when Obama allowed us all to go. She said it was the most incredible experience of her life.

You can still go. It just wouldn't be legal anymore … but you can fly there if you fly from another country. Obama made it so you could fly from Miami. Not anymore.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:58 PM

50 posts, read 98,228 times
Cool Total nonsense

I question if the OP actually visited Cuba. My most recent visit was this past Christmas. There were no restrictions on visiting beaches nor clubs. In fact, it was encouraged. Cuba has one of the top-rated beaches in the world that most people are not even aware of. Customs officials may be stern and display - accept no BS attitudes, but out of the hundreds of people I have encountered in person or via various forums, who has ACTUALLY visited the country, I have yet to meet one who had their photos gleened or confiscated because they had pictures of beach or club activities they participated in. Also, never heard of anyone being throttled for $10,000 for possession of such pics. This is total malarky. Probably written by a you-know-who supporter who has never even been out of the country.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:47 AM

71,599 posts, read 71,751,865 times
i am just posting what they told us on the cruise to avoid doing , whether they were correct or not i don't know .... so you are totally wrong about us not being there , and i am not the op .

it looks like these warnings were standard issue

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/01/15/new-...travelers.html

here are some of our pics , it was photography heaven, my wife and i are photographers so it was one of the best places we have been in that regard .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-13-2019 at 03:08 AM..

Old 06-13-2019, 03:14 AM

12,703 posts, read 14,081,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think you can still go thru the Canada or Mexico route. Those agencies who put together those trips will start up again.

AND eventually, the ban will be lifted.
In the past you could go through Mexico. They would issue you a visa on their own paper and stamp it, and then stamp it and take it back when you left.

A deceased American cousin of mine traveled to Cuba constantly this way in the 80s and 90s.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:22 AM

6,973 posts, read 3,870,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My co-worker went when Obama allowed us all to go. She said it was the most incredible experience of her life.

You can still go. It just wouldn't be legal anymore … but you can fly there if you fly from another country. Obama made it so you could fly from Miami. Not anymore.
This is incorrect. The recent edicts ban only group travel and cruise travel. Other categories, including the widely used "travel in support of the Cuban people" still legally exist. American Airlines, Delta, United, JetBlue and Southwest have nonstop flights to Cuba daily with the most flights departing from JFK, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa and Miami. Other cities have fewer flights.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:40 AM

6,973 posts, read 3,870,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i am just posting what they told us on the cruise to avoid doing , whether they were correct or not i don't know .... so you are totally wrong about us not being there , and i am not the op .

it looks like these warnings were standard issue

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/01/15/new-...travelers.html

here are some of our pics , it was photography heaven, my wife and i are photographers so it was one of the best places we have been in that regard .

Speculative stories from before the travel had even opened up are probably not the best on which to gauge actual experiences nor are scare stories from cruise operators with a very strong incentive to keep money being spent within their hulls.

I believe I had an excellent dinner at the restaurant in your first picture, probably sitting at the table occupied by the four women with the baby. I think it was just across the street and about two blocks north of the cruise terminal near where a floating dance club is today. I also think that your fourth picture was taken near the Havana Vieja government building that had an historic railway car on display outside. I stayed in a casa particular right across the street.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:44 AM

71,599 posts, read 71,751,865 times
we were only there one day , i wish we had a lot longer. if you like i can send you a link to the full gallery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or