U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 01:55 PM

8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times

Advertisements

The Orange Rascal won't be in office forever. (contrary to his likely plans) Cooler heads and common sense will prevail again, and Cuba will be back in play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 02:21 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,442,161 times
I don't really find Cuba to be a threat to us anymore … what's the deal? Why is it so controversial?

Old 06-17-2019, 04:29 PM

9,190 posts, read 9,269,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I don't really find Cuba to be a threat to us anymore … what's the deal? Why is it so controversial?
The deal is something like this: Only a small minority of people in the United States are Cuban exiles. However, Miami, Florida is full of them and their descendants. My understanding is that Marco Rubio and his family fall into that category. These people have a real bone to pick with the Castro brothers. Because they reside in Florida and Florida is a swing state, one political party in this country is willing to bend over backwards to give them what they want. They don't want us to have closer ties with Cuba even though only an idiot would think the trade embargo that we had with Cuba over fifty years accomplished anything at all.

That's how America works. Small minorities are able to control this country's foreign policy because they are strategically located and one issue is of particular importance to them.

So, because of it, the rest of us are prohibited from traveling to Cuba the way we want to travel.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:54 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Quote:
My co-worker went when Obama allowed us all to go. She said it was the most incredible experience of her life.

You can still go. It just wouldn't be legal anymore … but you can fly there if you fly from another country. Obama made it so you could fly from Miami. Not anymore.

Pops is a retired US Attorney. So.. Yeah.. We'll wait and see if things change.

Quote:

Cuban voters in South Florida. Plain and simple.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:49 PM

6,961 posts, read 3,860,525 times
While on another website today I had a pop-up ad for this page:

https://www.viahero.com/travel-to-cuba/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or