U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 05:39 PM

4,417 posts, read 1,644,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it depends where you go , what you do and where you stay in Chicago ... we live in nyc and i was in chicago last year ... it was just as costly ... we stayed on the gold cost . a steak dinner at perfect cut actually cost more then we pay here .. the hotel , the thompson cost as much as a quality hotel here. the things we did cost as much ...

so like all areas , exactly what the specifics are make all the difference in the world ...we live in queens in nyc that is a far cry from manhattan except in the more undesirable areas ... you really can't generalize because it varies
I am currently visiting Chicago for a couple of days trip. Been here several times before, and also lived in NYC for 10 years (Manhattan, Queens and on Long Island). Cost of living, I think itís about the same if we match appeales to apples and oranges to oranges.

However, Chicago does not stand a chance in front of NYC, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 06:05 PM

2,097 posts, read 715,328 times
I like Chicago and, since I live in the Midwest, it's a lot closer. I haven't been into NYC in almost 10 years but would say they're comparable as far as costs, with Chicago being maybe a LITTLE cheaper but not much.

There's plenty to do, especially in nice weather- the park, the Bean sculpture, boat tours, the Aquarium and the other museums...I was just there with my 5-year old granddaughter and I know we'll be back. Unfortunately, she's stuck on one hotel: the Hilton O'Hare, with a room on the side overlooking the airport. Better rack up some ore Hilton points so I can afford it.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:32 PM

12,591 posts, read 15,058,526 times
I agree. As a visitor, Iíve been impressed with Chicago. Great food, shopping, public transportation, sports scene, and the downtown area is very clean.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:10 PM

13,038 posts, read 6,233,216 times
We've been to Chicago twice. To get around, we used the L. We found plenty of things to do. The second visit, the weather didn't cooperate so there were some things we didn't get to do like the Hancock Tower. The first time we did the Willis Tower. Also, we visited some museums. We especially liked the Chicago History Museum. Plus, we did an architectural river tour.

For restaurants, we liked the Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company. Before going, we knew to line up before they opened We also knew that right across the street was where the Valentine's Day Massacre occurred. We made sure to go to a good steakhouse and head to Greektown for a good meal. Also, had some Italian beef plus some good old school red sauce Italian food.

One thing we didn't get to do the second time around --- try some breakfast places. That's because we stayed at the Renaissance and as Marriott gold members, we got a great breakfast for free at the hotel.

I'd like to visit Chicago again but my husband says twice is enough...

Old 06-08-2019, 03:40 AM

6,204 posts, read 2,865,717 times
Absolutely Loved Chicago! From the Blues/Jazz area to the Universities to some of the architecture . Truly a marvelous place to stroll along the lake. Price wise, No can do! It was ridiculous in traffic jams and the 400$ meals . Thank goodness my friend was a gracious host.

I despise NYC so Chicago was my happy medium for a big city with culture outlets. Saw Hootie and the blow Fish(years ago) and visited A university where some lectures were open to the public. Fascinating!

Unsure how its underated though....The stats show its still a happening attraction.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:51 AM

1,175 posts, read 478,714 times
Agreed, Chicago is a major US tourism destination and rightly so. Loads of fine museums (MoSI, Field, Art Institute, many smaller places), excellent pro sports options, top notch and underrated restaurant scene with worthy examples at all price points, splendid architecture, excellent public transportation, good music and theater options, generally safe in areas tourists want to go.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:49 AM

2,097 posts, read 715,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
One thing we didn't get to do the second time around --- try some breakfast places. That's because we stayed at the Renaissance and as Marriott gold members, we got a great breakfast for free at the hotel.
Yeah, my granddaughter and I had that at the Hilton! Hard to pass up. (It turned out that only the continental breakfast part of the buffet was included in the room rate with my Gold status; if you wanted the bacon and eggs, it was $10 additional. We skipped the bacon and eggs.)

My Dad was running the Chicago plant for a major steel company in the early 1980s. He said that they never could get people to come to Chicago for meetings- until December. Then suddenly every guy had a reason for a business trip to the Chicago office and brought his wife- at his own expense, of course. (The steel business was pretty male-dominated.)

Old 06-08-2019, 08:05 AM

3,196 posts, read 1,909,678 times
Chicago is absolutely a fantastic vacation destination and I'm always shocked when people are surprised by this. When we got married 23 years ago, I gave people a big list of suggested things to do. A few folks hadn't been to Chicago before or hadn't been frequently. People still occasionally talk about what a great time they had at our wedding. (We were at a hotel downtown. My big requirement was that I wanted the reception to be someplace with a fantastic view of the city.)

I do like NYC. It's almost as good as Chicago, and being on the east coast now, I go there more frequently for my big city fix. Chicago is easier and more beautiful than NYC. I like both, but Chicago will always be #1 for me. Can't beat that lakefront.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:22 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,902,218 times
I'd love to visit...first stop, The Art Institute....

Old 06-08-2019, 12:39 PM

13,038 posts, read 6,233,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post

I do like NYC. It's almost as good as Chicago, and being on the east coast now, I go there more frequently for my big city fix. Chicago is easier and more beautiful than NYC. I like both, but Chicago will always be #1 for me. Can't beat that lakefront.
We're closer to NYC so that's where we go for our "big city fix" That said, we did enjoy visiting Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or