U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 12:46 PM

8,293 posts, read 11,150,024 times

Advertisements

Chicago is a better destination than NYC in every way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 01:18 PM

1,120 posts, read 602,128 times
https://www.theonion.com/city-of-chi...hes-1819579485

Quote:
CHICAGO—Promising that every effort would be made to limit the impact on residents’ day-to-day lives, Chicago officials announced Wednesday that a fleet of plows was working around the clock to clear more than 18 inches of fresh bullet casings that had blanketed the metropolitan area overnight.

Sources at the city’s Department of Streets and Sanitation confirmed that over 250 ammunition-removal vehicles had been deployed to deal with the knee-deep layer of spent cartridges, which have been steadily accumulating on Chicago’s streets, alleys, and pedestrian walkways since the previous evening.

“Our crews have been out there all night trying to make our roadways passable, but given how quickly the handgun and semi-automatic shells have piled up, it’s going to take some time,” DSS commissioner Charles L. Williams told reporters, thanking the public for its patience while crews made their way across the stricken municipality. “We’re making good headway, but as you can imagine, it’s not an easy job, especially with casings continuing to fall throughout the city.”

Old 06-08-2019, 01:32 PM

3,244 posts, read 1,570,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Sounds like FROM THE -- ONION....
That scene isn't Chicago style housing. It is a East-Coast row-housing block. Chicago has few rows and not solid blocks as this was. Chicago neighborhoods off main streets has its standard green-frontage too.

Facetious it must be or Sarcasm -Onion style .....

Old 06-08-2019, 09:02 PM

1,120 posts, read 602,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Sounds like FROM THE -- ONION....
That scene isn't Chicago style housing. It is a East-Coast row-housing block. Chicago has few rows and not solid blocks as this was. Chicago neighborhoods off main streets has its standard green-frontage too.

Facetious it must be or Sarcasm -Onion style .....
The style of housing is beside the point and not necessary to enjoy the humor of the article. Sorry that you missed it Dave.

Being a Baltimore metro area native I recognize the houses as being most likely located in the northeastern part of Baltimore, although other parts of the city or even being located in Philly or Camden are also reasonable possibilities.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:06 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,285,904 times
Completely agree. Mid-Atlantic coast person here. I've loved Chicago any time I've visited.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:25 PM

3,244 posts, read 1,570,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
The style of housing is beside the point and not necessary to enjoy the humor of the article. Sorry that you missed it Dave.

Being a Baltimore metro area native I recognize the houses as being most likely located in the northeastern part of Baltimore, although other parts of the city or even being located in Philly or Camden are also reasonable possibilities.
But for someone who lived in Chicago in my past. That picture instantly I knew and no ..... I don't like the joke. Too many of our cites struggle to fight negative raps. So to me it was not funny. Nor if it was claimed to be Baltimore, or Philly especially.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:43 AM

2,013 posts, read 2,652,087 times
I love Chicago -- it's my favorite place in this entire country. I try to get up there at least once a year, usually in cool weather months as I detest hot weather, and Chicago can get pretty hot in the summer.

Last time I was there (in March), I discovered this little gem: the American Writers Museum. https://americanwritersmuseum.org/ They had a special exhibit about Bob Dylan, of whom I've been a fan since 1964. I hadn't heard of that museum before, and it was wonderful.

I find something new and interesting in Chicago every time I visit. And the restaurants are amazing!

Old 06-09-2019, 08:17 AM

2,564 posts, read 2,934,739 times
I think Chicago is a great destination as a tourist. I've been several times. I have found the people to be generally friendly and there is so much to do. I do prefer using the L over driving around the city.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:38 AM

1,524 posts, read 690,603 times
The lake shoreline is one of the country's great urban spaces, IMO.
And don't miss the boat tours... and of course the wonderful
collection of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings out in Oak Park.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:38 PM

12,317 posts, read 15,231,831 times
Two airports, both reachable by rapid transit, same with the ballparks. Plenty of restaurants and museums. Most of the crime occurs outside the tourists areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or