Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 01:35 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Hilarious, thanks for posting this. Although a little over the top, like always there is a certain degree of truth in articles like this. I am holding my breath already for the soon to come 4th of July weekend in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 07:35 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
I've been to Chicago a bunch o' times over the years on business trips. I have the whole urban thing an easy drive or cheap Amtrak/commuter rail ride away in the northeast. For the same money as Chicago, I can be in Europe. I can't see ever spending my own tourist dollars for Chicago.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:04 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I've been to Chicago a bunch o' times over the years on business trips. I have the whole urban thing an easy drive or cheap Amtrak/commuter rail ride away in the northeast. For the same money as Chicago, I can be in Europe. I can't see ever spending my own tourist dollars for Chicago.
If you have already visited it more than twice, there's no point going back on your dime.

Depending on where you live, flights to Chicago can be relatively cheap and flights to Europe can be ridiculously expensive. For example, I live in Tulsa, the cheapest roundtrip flights to Europe is around $1500. Time is also a restraint, not everyone has two weeks off. Not saying Chicago vacation is better than Europe, but it's affordable in terms of financial cost and time.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:05 AM

307 posts, read 255,239 times
I love going to Chicago. In fact my family is going there for a 2 day mini vacation next month. We live in NE Indiana though so it's only a 3 hr drive or so which is totally doable. I haven't been to Chicago in 9 years so I'm definitely overdue!

Old 06-15-2019, 11:23 AM

135 posts, read 89,800 times
If it weren't for the crime problem, Chicago would be a fantastic place to visit.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:26 AM

106,561 posts, read 108,713,667 times
we stayed on the gold coast and did not give it two thoughts

Old 06-15-2019, 12:30 PM

1,584 posts, read 980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
If it weren't for the crime problem, Chicago would be a fantastic place to visit.
One can easily avoid crime in Chicago if you’re there as a tourist. The interesting attractions and good eateries are not in bad areas of town. And unless you go wandering way off course from areas surrounded by bad areas (such as the University of Chicago), you’ll be fine. I know because I’ve been there and encountered no problems.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:46 AM

41 posts, read 18,942 times
Default Catching Up

I disagree. While historically not up there with NYC, gentrification of the hottest areas over the last few decades have changed all that. Cheaper, depending on what you do/where you stay/etc. Most of the people that travel there go downtown and/or to the North Side (which is a haven for tourists/out-of-towners). Along with recent gentrification, comes the taxes/other costs, the result of the city's politics. It's fun, if you can afford it these days (all about money, nothing else). I think (again), Chicago has become a tourist trap, in certain areas.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:07 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Would never ever go there.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:38 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I went last sept with my son and 6 year old grandson.. his little league team is the cubs ..he said he wanted to see the real cubs play ..so for Father’s Day my son hooked a trip just for the three of us ...we went to the cubs game ,,ate steaks and had a great time ..

My wife was so jealous she made me book a trip for August for us to go
Try Cafe Iberico on Lasalle in Chicago if you like Tapas. It's one of my favorite haunts and by far the best Tapas close to our house.

I love Chicago, especially in the winter. Ice skating on the ribbon is amazing. There's something about Chicago covered in snow and the soft glow of Christmas lights. Magical.

I've never been to New York, but I haven't had much of a desire to see it. I'm more of an Edinburgh fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel