U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 12:30 PM

8,324 posts, read 11,171,767 times

Advertisements

We've visited 5 times, will go more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 02:30 PM

944 posts, read 491,688 times
The crime stories are overblown. As someone who lives here I have no issues going to any part of the city. Certainly I will avoid some areas just as many of you would do in parts of the cities you live in. The areas where there is a high crime rate are the west and south sides, areas tourists would never be in unless they were lost. Again, every other major city has a rough side of town that locals wont go into, Chicago is no different. The same is true for lesser, petty crimes like theft, which is no different than what occurs in other cities. London, Paris, Rome, NYC,SF, LA, ........the list goes on, all have these same issues.

Come visit, the 55 million plus that do so each year can't be wrong.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:46 AM

1,513 posts, read 2,336,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
One can easily avoid crime in Chicago if you’re there as a tourist. The interesting attractions and good eateries are not in bad areas of town. And unless you go wandering way off course from areas surrounded by bad areas (such as the University of Chicago), you’ll be fine. I know because I’ve been there and encountered no problems.
Chicago has an issue with crimes in the tourist areas of the city. Here is one such incident earlier this year: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...506771151.html

Here are some more reports on recent incidents in the "good" tourist areas of Chicago:

https://abc7chicago.com/the-bean-mag...stody/5374571/

Alderman believes Kim Foxx's "soft on crime" policies to blame for "wilding" by teens in Chicago - Story | WFLD

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...417-story.html

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...529-story.html

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2018/5/...an-man-ignored

Not sure just how widespread this issue is, but this seems to be a thing now. Incidents like these have been reported in the last handful of years in many other cities, and in the "good" tourist areas, which is why they are now making headlines.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:02 AM

2,866 posts, read 4,260,167 times
I don't want to sound like a hater but, out of all the places in the world I could go, Chicago is not on my list. Mainly due to the cold weather and shootings. NYC is not much different, I mean the only place I would even think about visiting is Manhattan--the other bouroughs seem get 0. Far as other US cities, Seattle, Charleston SC, Las Vegas, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Honolulu, Fort Lauderdale, Austin TX, Boston, seem more attractive.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:35 AM

1,813 posts, read 820,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I don't want to sound like a hater but, out of all the places in the world I could go, Chicago is not on my list. Mainly due to the cold weather and shootings. NYC is not much different, I mean the only place I would even think about visiting is Manhattan--the other bouroughs seem get 0. Far as other US cities, Seattle, Charleston SC, Las Vegas, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Honolulu, Fort Lauderdale, Austin TX, Boston, seem more attractive.
Chicago is kind of too warm for me right now.

Yes, on average it's cold but the summer months are very warm.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:08 AM

1,201 posts, read 486,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Couple thoughts:

-shootings in Chicago and NYC almost always occur in areas where tourists don't go. And note well that other cities on your list have bad parts of town where shootings can occur, though again this normally only happens in non-touristed neighborhoods. There's no shortage of "bad area" in the cities on your list I've been to: Atlanta, Boston, Vegas, Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale, and the Tampa Bay area have their no-go zones. But if you have your wits around you even a little bit (which you should when you're on vacation anyway), there should be no problem.

-while a one or two week vacation in NYC could understandably be Manhattan-only based, there are interesting sights in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx which are worth exploring if more time is spent in the city. The Brooklyn Museum, Bronx Zoo, and Noguchi Museum are only the start of the possibilities in each outer borough. Well worth looking into.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:19 AM

17,473 posts, read 21,331,279 times
Believe it or not, I've flirted with the idea of doing a day trip to Chicago, take an early morning flight from Tucson, gorge myself on pizza from Gino's east, and then fly back the same day. I used to drive down from Minneapolis with just their fabulous pizza on my mind.

If I want a big city, though, I'll take NYC any day rather than 2nd City. I usually stay at the Vanderbilt Y, with a friend, and we get a room with a bunk bed, refrij and TV. Last time $70 for the both of us (2009) and no hotel taxes at the Y. Does Chicago still have the highest hotel taxes in the country?

I don't know why it is, despite all the skyscrapers Chicago has, but I keep imagining to the west of downtown seeing corn fields. Not so in NYC!

Old 07-21-2019, 10:30 AM

944 posts, read 491,688 times
From a Chicagoan born n breed, deep dish is highly over rated, a tourist trap thing and frowned upon by many locals.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:24 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,607,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
From a Chicagoan born n breed, deep dish is highly over rated, a tourist trap thing and frowned upon by many locals.
As a NYer I take exception that they even call that mess "Pizza", they should just own up & call it a "Tomato & Cheese casserole".

Seriously, I lived near Chicago years ago & didn't visit it nearly enough unfortunately. It's a city of distinct neighborhoods worth visiting with a real personality of its own, very friendly folks, a big sports town & right on Lake Michigan which is really a vast inland sea. Something for everybody...

Old 07-23-2019, 03:04 PM

1,201 posts, read 486,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
I actually enjoyed deep dish the time I went, and Iím not an uneducated palate person. Got this at Ginoís East, Lou Malnatiís, and Giordanoís, and liked it at all three. YMMV, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or