U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 03:05 PM

1,802 posts, read 804,562 times

Advertisements

It's very cheap compared with NYC.

Hotels and food are priced similarly with cities like Dallas, Houston. Being a great city, you still have plenty of good hotels and restaurants to choose from plus a world-class arts scene and a vibrant downtown. Great public transportation also helps cut cost, far cheaper than car rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 03:12 PM

71,490 posts, read 71,652,652 times
it depends where you go , what you do and where you stay in Chicago ... we live in nyc and i was in chicago last year ... it was just as costly ... we stayed on the gold cost . a steak dinner at perfect cut actually cost more then we pay here .. the hotel , the thompson cost as much as a quality hotel here. the things we did cost as much ...

so like all areas , exactly what the specifics are make all the difference in the world ...we live in queens in nyc that is a far cry from manhattan except in the more undesirable areas ... you really can't generalize because it varies

Old 06-07-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it depends where you go , what you do and where you stay in Chicago ... we live in nyc and i was in chicago last year ... it was just as costly ... we stayed on the gold cost . a steak dinner at perfect cut actually cost more then we pay here .. the hotel , the thompson cost as much as a quality hotel here. the things we did cost as much ...

so like all areas , exactly what the specifics are make all the difference in the world ...we live in queens in nyc that is a far cry from manhattan except in the more undesirable areas ... you really can't generalize because it varies
I paid close to $150 per night in downtown Chicago, not the best hotel but decent enough(Sofitel).

In Manhattan, the cost would double. Even a holiday inn can cost 200 upwards. High-end restaurants are probably priced similarly but there's practically no cheap eat in Manhattan except for McDonald's, Japanese ramen meal costs almost 30.

If I had the option to move, I would be happy to move to Queens or Brooklyn. But as a tourist, staying in midtown Manhattan allows me to utilize my time more efficiently.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I paid close to $150 per night in downtown Chicago, not the best hotel but decent enough(Sofitel).

In Manhattan, the cost would double. Even a holiday inn can cost 200 upwards. High-end restaurants are probably priced similarly but there's practically no cheap eat in Manhattan except for McDonald's, Japanese ramen meal costs almost 30.

If I had the option to move, I would be happy to move to Queens or Brooklyn. But as a tourist, staying in midtown Manhattan allows me to utilize my time more efficiently.
The Thompson depending on time of year in Chicago can be 400-500 a night ...we got it for under 200 in sept... there are the same deals in Manhattan..even though we live 25 minutes from Manhattan we play tourist every year and stay in a nice hotel and do things like a tourist.. I really cant say one is overall more expensive ..it all depends on the specific details

Old 06-07-2019, 04:18 PM

806 posts, read 312,859 times
I totally agree! Went there last summer and had a blast! Did all the touristy stuff downtown, went to Art Institute of Chicago, went to a Cubbies game. I thought people in Chicago were very friendly as well. Terrific town indeed!

Old 06-07-2019, 04:21 PM

I went last sept with my son and 6 year old grandson.. his little league team is the cubs ..he said he wanted to see the real cubs play ..so for Fatherís Day my son hooked a trip just for the three of us ...we went to the cubs game ,,ate steaks and had a great time ..

My wife was so jealous she made me book a trip for August for us to go

Old 06-07-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I totally agree! Went there last summer and had a blast! Did all the touristy stuff downtown, went to Art Institute of Chicago, went to a Cubbies game. I thought people in Chicago were very friendly as well. Terrific town indeed!
Personally, I find Chicago perfect for a long weekend vacation(3 to 4 days), which isn't a bad thing. Not everyone has two weeks off.

Seattle is good for a week(including nearby national parks), NYC is also good for a week.

The older I am, the more I like big cities. Small town living is killing me.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:29 PM

3,542 posts, read 1,350,218 times
although i always went for business, the "off-hours" were great.
my wife, who, as a student at UI, took the train every weekend
she could to Chicago. of course, that was during the last millennium.

bottom line: "underrated"? not by us.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
although i always went for business, the "off-hours" were great.
my wife, who, as a student at UI, took the train every weekend
she could to Chicago. of course, that was during the last millennium.

bottom line: "underrated"? not by us.
It seems to me Chicago does not have a very positive image due to crimes and bad winter.

But touristy areas in the summer are free of these problems.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:23 PM

215 posts, read 118,049 times
I did it twice recently. Good for 3-4 days, as noted above. Great restaurants at all price points, especially if you do your homework (alas, no more Charlie Trotters). Terrific museums. Walkable and reasonably safe if you're staying in the lakeside shopping district. Shopping ... same stuff as Mall of America. All in all a great place. But it's called the Second City for a reason. Can't beat Manhattan except in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or