U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 12:53 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,891,210 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting challenge. Say you've got 14 months on your hands, like to travel, and aren't limited by reasonable travel related costs. You don't want to get burned out and like staying places long enough to get a real vibe and take your time enjoying the country, so you get an apartment for two months in one city in each country. No stays in your home country allowed, and it's assumed you'd take as many day trips or overnighters in other areas of interest as you wanted using your host city as a base.

You might want some diversity, you might want to just stay in developed countries, you might be chasing a certain type of weather, might want little towns, might want mega-cities, etc. where do you go? Give it some thought, seven countries, two months each, starting in August.

I was thinking a good start would be:
Aug, Sep - Lyon, France
Oct, Nov - Udon Thani, Thailand
Dec, Jan - Medellin, Colombia
Feb, Mar - Buenos Aires, Argentina
Apr, May - Guangzhou, China
Jun, July - Munich, Germany
Aug, Sep - Sofia, Bulgaria

Obviously I prefer bigger cities and avoiding cold weather. I tried to figure out a way to throw Auckland or Capetown in there but couldn't make it work. Really struggled with Thailand versus Taipei Taiwan for that second leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 01:07 PM

22,674 posts, read 28,709,830 times
I don't want to do that much flying, but I could spend 14 months exploring the iron curtain countries. I'd like to see Budapest and the Black Sea beach towns.

Or, as a separate trip, not a bunch of flying from continent to continent ,in the same experience, I could do 14 months in South America: Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:05 PM

1,804 posts, read 806,686 times
Except for two months in Latin America, I'd love to split my time between Asia(Japan, China, Thailand) and Europe(Spain, Portugal, Germany).

Honestly, I haven't seriously thought about Latin America even though I believe there is probably something to explore.

But like most people here, I wouldn't spend any time in North America.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:24 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,970,829 times
There are literally hundreds of different combinations I would enjoy. If there's no other factors to consider at all (cost of living, cost of travel, stage in my life, immigration issues, focusing on one region etc) I'll put together a path that includes some of my top choices for cities that I am most interested in (does not include Sinophone world as I am very familiar with them and consider them potential future bases) nor USA per the instructions. While these aren't my top 7 destinations, they are all quite high on my list and I am particularly happy that this path takes me round the world once, maintains comfortable climates, and includes a back-to-back of Spanish (granted different styles plus Barcelona will include a mix of Catalan) as well as back-to-back French (again kind of a mix with Dutch but mostly French in Brussels) so that I can hopefully improve on both.

London - Aug Sept
Barcelona - Oct Nov
Lima - Dec Jan
Melbourne - Feb Mar
Bali - Apr May
Brussels - June July
Paris - Aug Sept

Old 06-09-2019, 10:27 AM

22,674 posts, read 28,709,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
..... But like most people here, I wouldn't spend any time in North America.

I suspect that the people here wouldn't have any problem spending a very interesting 14 months traveling around the USA, but that wasn't the OP's question that he posed.

Also "North America" includes Canada and Mexico, both of which have wonderful and worthwhile places to visit.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:07 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Yep if this timeframe was longer (24 months etc.) I'm pretty sure Guadalajara MX would make it onto for my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or