Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:02 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,140,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
I've found that the FA's of today are not what they used to be, mainly with temperament. I haven't noticed a lack in appearance and they all seem to be put together well- they're attitudes are another thing, though. I've flown a lot the last 4 years and more often than not they are abrupt, inconsiderate and act as if you're doing them wrong in 15 ways if you ask to buy something from the snack cart or ask for a pair of ear buds. Being polite and kind to FA's is a MUST to my husband and I and our kids are well-trained to behave on airplanes and treat everyone working on them with respect. Unfortunately, it's rare if a FA is nice to my kids, who sit quietly and color, read, watch a movie or nap.

Considering the type of people who fly these days, though, I suppose I can understand to some degree if a FA is a jerk to passengers.

Couldn't agree more! I have a job in which I talk to 50 people a day on the phones and it's my job to be pleasant and courteous. Even when you have a bad or off day, it's my responsibility to not let this come thru to my clients. If I can maintain this degree of professionalism, it's time for me to find a different job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 12:35 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,080,740 times
The most attractive flight attendants I've seen are on EVA. Not too bad on Turkish, either. Foreign carriers are not bound by discrimination lawsuits or political correctness.

It's true that being attractive is not essential to being able to do the job well but the job skills are not so demanding that there are a shortage of attractive women capable of doing them.

I could never handle the job myself. Just don't have the patience to walk row to row, asking each person over and over to put up their tray table and bring their seat upright. I'd be standing up front saying "Listen up, people, raise your #$@* seats up NOW!"

Old 06-13-2019, 01:30 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,529,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Haha..interesting topic. My wife and I fly to Asia quite a bit and we always have a choice of taking a US or Asian based airline. We usually end up picking EVA Air only because they have the red eye leaving Seattle at midnight. Asian based airlines seem to only hire young, slender and attractive airline attendants....

My wife and I joke and say they must hand the uniforms to the attendants and say "here's your uniform....either fit into or go do something else."
I also love EVA out of IAH due to the red eye flight. Get the plane up in the air, have something to eat, then kick back and relax. I also like to arrive in MNL in the daytime so I can see where i'm going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The most attractive flight attendants I've seen are on EVA. Not too bad on Turkish, either. Foreign carriers are not bound by discrimination lawsuits or political correctness.

It's true that being attractive is not essential to being able to do the job well but the job skills are not so demanding that there are a shortage of attractive women capable of doing them.

I could never handle the job myself. Just don't have the patience to walk row to row, asking each person over and over to put up their tray table and bring their seat upright. I'd be standing up front saying "Listen up, people, raise your #$@* seats up NOW!"
Agree 100% and the service on EVA is always so professional and efficient, never wavers across the board. I love that airline (next flight, January 2020)

Old 06-13-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I also love EVA out of IAH due to the red eye flight. Get the plane up in the air, have something to eat, then kick back and relax. I also like to arrive in MNL in the daytime so I can see where i'm going.

Agree 100% and the service on EVA is always so professional and efficient, never wavers across the board. I love that airline (next flight, January 2020)

I'm with you! Plus their airline attendants are very friendly. Back in the day I used to fly United Airlines exclusively. Not anymore We take EVA every time.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:51 PM

6,404 posts, read 3,881,108 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The first stewardesses were required to be registered nurses, so that's why the field started out as being all females, as back then doctors were men and nurses were women. Weight was also more critical back then as the DC-3 and other early airliners didn't have the weight capacity of today's airliners, so that's why there was a weight standard.
That would make sense, IF they said "no one over X weight, period," rather than allowing the weight to go up by height... either 130 pounds is too heavy to carry, or it's not, but it doesn't become too heavy to carry if one is 5'4" but not if one is 6'1"... it's still 130 pounds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
And herein lies the 100% truth. What passengers wear has no bearing on the FA.
What flight attendants wear has no bearing on the passengers, unless it hasn't been washed for a week, is crawling with roaches, is dirty, or is made of skunk skins.

I'll take a "good" flight attendant in their pajamas over an incompetent impeccably-dressed one any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What about attractive men? I get nothing out of looking at women. I'm still waiting for the smokin' male flight attendants, if that's the standard we're going to set.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-17-2019 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-14-2019, 07:19 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,439,102 times
Wow the flight attendants aren't hot enough for you anymore? So sorry! That must really be awful. I'm sure you are very attractive yourself, always well groomed and therefore should only ever be in the company of equally fit, feminine and beautiful women. You might want to stop traveling altogether because this can seriously cramp your style. They should really make a rule about only allowing celebrities and other genetically gifted people to fly. And male flight attendants? Forget it! Hot women in matching uniforms are the entitlement of middle aged men everywhere!

Old 06-14-2019, 11:33 AM

13,259 posts, read 22,695,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

What about attractive men? I get nothing out of looking at women. I'm still waiting for the smokin' male flight attendants, if that's the standard we're going to set.
There are a few out there but they tend to be out and en fuego in other ways as well.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Wow the flight attendants aren't hot enough for you anymore? So sorry! That must really be awful. I'm sure you are very attractive yourself, always well groomed and therefore should only ever be in the company of equally fit, feminine and beautiful women. You might want to stop traveling altogether because this can seriously cramp your style. They should really make a rule about only allowing celebrities and other genetically gifted people to fly. And male flight attendants? Forget it! Hot women in matching uniforms are the entitlement of middle aged men everywhere!

I remember talking about this very topic with my wife who is Asian. She lectured me that I should stop trying to "paint an Asian picture with a Western paint brush."

She said you'll never see an unattractive or older flight attendant ever working on an Asian based airline...ever. I know that from being married to her for 15 years that appearance is in Asia is extremely important. Much more so than it is in the West. My wife will not leave the house until she looks good from head to toe. It's a pride thing. This entire concept carries thru to Asian business.

She stated to have an airline attendant (be it male or female) who isn't at the highest level of appearance and service would be an strike against the airline and make them look bad. Asia is all about saving face. Image is HUGE! If you've ever sat in the waiting area about to board an Asian airline, about half an hour before the flight takes off, the pilot and the airline attendants march, almost strut, in as a team. They do look like models on purpose. There is no room for imperfection as it's not the Asian way.

Last edited by pete98146; 06-17-2019 at 02:36 PM..

Old 06-18-2019, 06:21 AM

4,411 posts, read 3,429,456 times
In the case of Delta, many flight attendants have been in the job for decades. They love the benefits so they stay. A 60 year old doesn't look like a 20 year old obviously. For me the issue with flight attendants in general is not as much appearance but attitude. In recent years, 9 times out of 10 I've boarded flights with flight attendants that are grumpy and bark orders over the loudspeaker. It's annoying but that's flying these days.

Added thought: I stayed in a hotel in SF that was the layover hotel for Singapore Airlines. Those women were impeccable. And the uniforms were really special.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:39 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,817,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
[Snip.]

That would make sense, IF they said "no one over X weight, period," rather than allowing the weight to go up by height... either 130 pounds is too heavy to carry, or it's not, but it doesn't become too heavy to carry if one is 5'4" but not if one is 6'1"... it's still 130 .
I can see a weight limit on flight attendants. Every extra pound means more fuel used, and it may be several flights per day. Airlines fight to save every ounce.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-17-2019 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Usage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel