U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 12:48 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,433,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Haha..interesting topic. My wife and I fly to Asia quite a bit and we always have a choice of taking a US or Asian based airline. We usually end up picking EVA Air only because they have the red eye leaving Seattle at midnight. Asian based airlines seem to only hire young, slender and attractive airline attendants....

My wife and I joke and say they must hand the uniforms to the attendants and say "here's your uniform....either fit into or go do something else."
Asians tend to be pretty slim.

I have flown on EVA. As a woman, I don't particularly look @ other women, but Asian women are generally pretty attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 03:40 PM

3,247 posts, read 842,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Unions, lower pay and poorer working conditions, lower class of passengers and fuller planes, rise of budget airlines, changing social norms (political correctness, "me too" movement, gradual transition to casual dress in the working world, etc). These all contribute.

What they forget is appearance standards don't always apply to age, sex, weight, physical features, etc. It's about professionalism. You can still be overweight and maintain appearance standards. But disheveled to me says unprofessional - if a flight attendant can't take the time to shave (for men), press your close, wash and comb your hair I would doubt a flight attendant will take the time to follow safety regulations.
Unions != lower pay

Old 06-12-2019, 04:43 PM

12,253 posts, read 18,390,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Unions != lower pay
Not sure if that is a question or statement. But there was a comma between the two that you might have missed, and I myself don't agree that unions equal lower pay.
What are you trying to say or are you just confused?

Old 06-12-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not sure if that is a question or statement. But there was a comma between the two that you might have missed, and I myself don't agree that unions equal lower pay.
What are you trying to say or are you just confused?
The "!=" means "does not equal"

Old 06-12-2019, 05:17 PM

9,776 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Quote:
The "!=" means "does not equal"
That's a new one to me. I've always seen "=/=" used for "does not equal"

Old 06-12-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
That's a new one to me. I've always seen "=/=" used for "does not equal"
Programming

Old 06-12-2019, 07:05 PM

9,776 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Quote:
Programming
Well I'm guessing most of the posters here aren't into programming It's always good to know your audience

Old 06-12-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Well I'm guessing most of the posters here aren't into programming It's always good to know your audience
Great opportunity for everyone to introduce themselves. Hiiiii!

Old 06-12-2019, 11:16 PM

7,224 posts, read 4,119,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm female. I really don't care how "pretty" my flight attendants are. I remember the Bad Old Days when not only did you have to be attractive and keep your weight below specified levels depending on your height- you also had to quit if you were married! My Dad (now 88) flew a lot on business and he said back then the passengers were nearly all male, with the exception of the occasional military wife flying to join her husband somewhere. Maybe then it made sense to recruit female flight attendants based on their physical appearance and their availability.

Frankly, I don't know why anyone would want to be a flight attendant anymore, especially in Coach and on the commuter flights. You have to be alert, smiling and well-groomed for a 6:30 AM flight, you have to deal with overcrowded planes and passengers who have been through TSA hassles and delays that aren't your fault, and who are jammed into tiny seats too close to each other, etc. And if you're unhappy with your job at Airline A, you can work for Airline B but you start at the bottom with no seniority.
The first stewardesses were required to be registered nurses, so that's why the field started out as being all females, as back then doctors were men and nurses were women. Weight was also more critical back then as the DC-3 and other early airliners didn't have the weight capacity of today's airliners, so that's why there was a weight standard.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:22 AM

1,800 posts, read 803,616 times
Quote:
I also program.

I thought the notation was universal, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or