U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 06:51 PM

925 posts, read 253,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Can't believe it took 9 posts to get to this point.

OP - quit being a misogynistic quack and just let them do their job. It's not an effing strip club.
The first sentence is precisely what I was going to post... (the second was at least what I was thinking...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The first stewardesses were required to be registered nurses, so that's why the field started out as being all females, as back then doctors were men and nurses were women. Weight was also more critical back then as the DC-3 and other early airliners didn't have the weight capacity of today's airliners, so that's why there was a weight standard.
That would make sense, IF they said "no one over X weight, period," rather than allowing the weight to go up by height... either 130 pounds is too heavy to carry, or it's not, but it doesn't become too heavy to carry if one is 5'4" but not if one is 6'1"... it's still 130 pounds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
And herein lies the 100% truth. What passengers wear has no bearing on the FA.
What flight attendants wear has no bearing on the passengers, unless it hasn't been washed for a week, is crawling with roaches, is dirty, or is made of skunk skins.

I'll take a "good" flight attendant in their pajamas over an incompetent impeccably-dressed one any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It's true that being attractive is not essential to being able to do the job well but the job skills are not so demanding that there are a shortage of attractive women capable of doing them.
What about attractive men? I get nothing out of looking at women. I'm still waiting for the smokin' male flight attendants, if that's the standard we're going to set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 07:19 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,210,617 times
Wow the flight attendants aren't hot enough for you anymore? So sorry! That must really be awful. I'm sure you are very attractive yourself, always well groomed and therefore should only ever be in the company of equally fit, feminine and beautiful women. You might want to stop traveling altogether because this can seriously cramp your style. They should really make a rule about only allowing celebrities and other genetically gifted people to fly. And male flight attendants? Forget it! Hot women in matching uniforms are the entitlement of middle aged men everywhere!

Old 06-14-2019, 11:33 AM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

What about attractive men? I get nothing out of looking at women. I'm still waiting for the smokin' male flight attendants, if that's the standard we're going to set.
There are a few out there but they tend to be out and en fuego in other ways as well.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:36 PM

802 posts, read 312,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Wow the flight attendants aren't hot enough for you anymore? So sorry! That must really be awful. I'm sure you are very attractive yourself, always well groomed and therefore should only ever be in the company of equally fit, feminine and beautiful women. You might want to stop traveling altogether because this can seriously cramp your style. They should really make a rule about only allowing celebrities and other genetically gifted people to fly. And male flight attendants? Forget it! Hot women in matching uniforms are the entitlement of middle aged men everywhere!

I remember talking about this very topic with my wife who is Asian. She lectured me that I should stop trying to "paint an Asian picture with a Western paint brush."

She said you'll never see an unattractive or older flight attendant ever working on an Asian based airline...ever. I know that from being married to her for 15 years that appearance is in Asia is extremely important. Much more so than it is in the West. My wife will not leave the house until she looks good from head to toe. It's a pride thing. This entire concept carries thru to Asian business.

She stated to have an airline attendant (be it male or female) who isn't at the highest level of appearance and service would be an strike against the airline and make them look bad. Asia is all about saving face. Image is HUGE! If you've ever sat in the waiting area about to board an Asian airline, about half an hour before the flight takes off, the pilot and the airline attendants march, almost strut, in as a team. They do look like models on purpose. There is no room for imperfection as it's not the Asian way.

Last edited by pete98146; 06-17-2019 at 02:36 PM..

Old 06-18-2019, 06:21 AM

3,172 posts, read 1,665,407 times
In the case of Delta, many flight attendants have been in the job for decades. They love the benefits so they stay. A 60 year old doesn't look like a 20 year old obviously. For me the issue with flight attendants in general is not as much appearance but attitude. In recent years, 9 times out of 10 I've boarded flights with flight attendants that are grumpy and bark orders over the loudspeaker. It's annoying but that's flying these days.

Added thought: I stayed in a hotel in SF that was the layover hotel for Singapore Airlines. Those women were impeccable. And the uniforms were really special.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:39 PM

12,289 posts, read 15,184,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
The first sentence is precisely what I was going to post... (the second was at least what I was thinking...)

That would make sense, IF they said "no one over X weight, period," rather than allowing the weight to go up by height... either 130 pounds is too heavy to carry, or it's not, but it doesn't become too heavy to carry if one is 5'4" but not if one is 6'1"... it's still 130 .
I can see a weight limit on flight attendants. Every extra pound means more fuel used, and it may be several flights per day. Airlines fight to save every ounce.

Last edited by pvande55; 06-19-2019 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Usage

Old 06-21-2019, 01:11 AM

1,130 posts, read 553,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Airlines adapt to changing conditions. I think the really iconic period for the industry was in the 60’s. The Pan Am flight attendants. All female, impeccably attired and beauty pageant material. Guess I’m being sexist. First class service. All aboard the Boeing 707. Flew several legs of the old round the world service back in the day on that aircraft.
That reminds me of the film "Catch Me If You Can". The "deadhead" used the beauty of the stewardesses to distract the police and FBI who were staking out the Miami airport looking for him. He was completely overlooked in that era of extreme sexism while the cops and FBI just stared at the women and flirted, catcalled, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0uyIWOU024

It's a classic scene, but realistically it implies ageism was a problem as well as "body shaming" for those who didn't fit those "physical" expectations of the young stewardess. The 1960s must have been radically different from now for air travel in both cultural and technical ways.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:47 AM

1,800 posts, read 804,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
In the case of Delta, many flight attendants have been in the job for decades. They love the benefits so they stay. A 60 year old doesn't look like a 20 year old obviously. For me the issue with flight attendants in general is not as much appearance but attitude. In recent years, 9 times out of 10 I've boarded flights with flight attendants that are grumpy and bark orders over the loudspeaker. It's annoying but that's flying these days.

Added thought: I stayed in a hotel in SF that was the layover hotel for Singapore Airlines. Those women were impeccable. And the uniforms were really special.
I just had an extremely unpleasant experience with SW flight attendants yesterday. I filed a complaint, but I haven't heard of anything back from the airlines. Maybe I won't hear anything.

It seems that airlines simply don't care about customer service, and offensive flight attendants are rarely held accountable. With so few airlines in the market, they really don't have the incentive to improve anything.

I don't know what it's like to work as a flight attendant. It doesn't sound like an ideal career to me. I suspect flight attendants are not treated well by the airlines, and naturally, they don't feel obligated to deliver quality service to passengers. As an employer, you can't get the best people if you don't pay the best money.

To be fair, I've encountered a good number of great attendants. I think they just happen to be great people, they are going to be friendly no matter what career path they choose.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:45 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,582,286 times
So I side with the FAs as far as being experienced & keeping a job as they get on in years, appearance should be neat & professional & that's all.

Having said that I just took a transatlantic flight this week & one of the FAs looked ghastly insofar as her skin tone or makeup was pure white: not pale, not "light complected", & not a racial comment but pure kabuki WHITE. What made it even more disturbing was her dark hair & deep red lipstick contrasted to emphasize her pallor. When she first appeared I was trying to figure out if she was really ill & possibly undergoing chemo because she had that alabaster, cadaver skin color but she moved around & worked ok from what I saw. She was stationed in another part of the jumbo so I didn't see her much during the flight. In my mind I've decided she was a "goth" type & it was the makeup she prefers but who knows, maybe she is ill or recovering from something. If it's makeup then I guess anything goes now inflight?

Again, I don't comment about FAs' looks usually but this was so obvious & a real conversation stopper.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:39 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,436,379 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I remember talking about this very topic with my wife who is Asian. She lectured me that I should stop trying to "paint an Asian picture with a Western paint brush."

She said you'll never see an unattractive or older flight attendant ever working on an Asian based airline...ever. I know that from being married to her for 15 years that appearance is in Asia is extremely important. Much more so than it is in the West. My wife will not leave the house until she looks good from head to toe. It's a pride thing. This entire concept carries thru to Asian business.

She stated to have an airline attendant (be it male or female) who isn't at the highest level of appearance and service would be an strike against the airline and make them look bad. Asia is all about saving face. Image is HUGE! If you've ever sat in the waiting area about to board an Asian airline, about half an hour before the flight takes off, the pilot and the airline attendants march, almost strut, in as a team. They do look like models on purpose. There is no room for imperfection as it's not the Asian way.
Yes, I've noticed this about Asian airline flight attendants when I'm traveling through various airports, especially when I'm abroad. Also, flight attendants (and even the pilots) are attractive and youthful of various central and eastern European airlines as well. They all look like models and are dressed to the nines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or