Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 12:40 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,283,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The best part of New York City is just walking around, stopping to hear street musicians play and putting a buck in their case, finding a place to sit and sip coffee or a beer and people-watch.

I worked in NYC all my life, and it never occurred to me that anyone would come there to see tall buildings, unless, of course, they are architecture fan and looking for certain styles. Every city has tall buildings, as oregonwoodsmoke said. It's funny, but I was working in the city for 39 years when I was asked to go to a meeting at a company in the Empire State Building. It was the first time I had ever been inside the ESB.

Even after all those years of years of working there, I am sometimes amazed. I was walking to the train after a work event one evening, and I stumbled upon this store that sells ancient fossils from different parts of the word. I stopped in for ten minutes or so and just gawked. Never saw anything like it.

Really liked one of the fish ones, but I didn't have $25K on me.

https://astrogallery.com/collections/fish
NYC is one of those places people b*tch about while they are living/working there and then yearn & cry for when they're gone b/c they miss it so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 12:49 PM

4,217 posts, read 3,132,652 times
Very underwhelmed with my recent trip to Italy and Greece. The food was excellent all around but the sheer number of tourists was unbelievable. Infrastructure in some areas felt 3rd world like. On the other hand, all my trips to the national parks, Yosemite, RMNC, Glacier, Zion, Bryce, Yellowstone, Mt Rainier, have been spectacular as I tend to go slightly off season when the tourists don't.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:20 PM

88,089 posts, read 83,946,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
NYC is one of those places people b*tch about while they are living/working there and then yearn & cry for when they're gone b/c they miss it so much.
I never b*tch about the city. I do b*tch about the tourists!

Old 06-19-2019, 05:27 PM

7,670 posts, read 5,387,073 times
My disappointments have not been with cultures, but rather with expecting more of a "wow" experience due to photographs I have seen of a place beforehand, so, for me, the first time I felt a really strong letdown was the Fern Grotto in Hawaii. It was jam-packed with tourists and the grotto itself didn't feel or look as lush as I expected.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:38 PM

656 posts, read 806,787 times
Yes. The life-cycle of travel destinations is 1) Unknown 2) Discovered 3) Enjoyed 4) Over-run with tourists

You will be underwhelmed if you go anywhere in 4)

Old 06-19-2019, 06:54 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,332,296 times
OP remember we all see the world thru our biased view. So don't believe what you read about someplace. When you go there enjoy learning about it for yourself not compare it to someone else's view of it. Simplify!

Old 06-19-2019, 06:58 PM

2,584 posts, read 3,368,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I always wonder why people just can't enjoy travel without all the criticism, expectations and comparing everything with things back at home.
If they tend to be disappointed with other cultures and the ways other people live, they just should stay home. Human nature isn't about the same everywhere. And human nature in the US isn't the only right way to live...
This seem to be a very hard to understand to many American travellers. If they want everything like back at home - they should stay at home.
Those complaints about smiles, customer service, politeness, food etc. get really old...
Well said, well said.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:56 PM

17,002 posts, read 21,674,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
Funny how people have different perceptions.

I went to Philadelphia in April.

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

Hope to retire there - assuming I can handle winter.
I didn't get it. Ate at top 25 restaurants on TripAdvisor. Food was ok/decent but every meal was $180 and I didn't eat a single steak while we were there. Traffic/parking sucked, smokestacks pouring something into the sky on the outskirts of the city, sure it has history but a block from the museum with the Rocky steps is full of trash and homeless guys panhandling. Even the airport was filthy.

This was very cool though:
https://www.phillymagicgardens.org/

The detail was crazy. Place was in a regular neighborhood across the street from a Whole Foods/WaWa.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:04 PM

17,002 posts, read 21,674,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I always wonder why people just can't enjoy travel without all the criticism, expectations and comparing everything with things back at home.
If they tend to be disappointed with other cultures and the ways other people live, they just should stay home. Human nature isn't about the same everywhere. And human nature in the US isn't the only right way to live...
This seem to be a very hard to understand to many American travellers. If they want everything like back at home - they should stay at home.
Those complaints about smiles, customer service, politeness, food etc. get really old...
Very good points.

I have a few rules when I travel. I NEVER eat at chain restaurants. Outback Steakhouse in Kansas is essentially the same experience as Outback in Toronto. I try to steer clear of touristy areas, if I go to NYC I certainly don't spend my time in Times Square or Rockefeller Center.

I also like oddball attractions. So a zoo in Miami will have the same elephants as the zoo in NYC. Why go to a zoo unless they have something really special as an attraction that you have to see.

Saw this in Philly:
https://www.phillymagicgardens.org/

It was very cool, never seen anything else like it.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:09 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,312,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't like many of the standard tourist destinations. If I never go back to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, I won't be dissatisfied.
Oh my gosh---when I drove through there it was like a nightmare! I've never seen anything like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Copenhagen, we found the famous statue but it was so small.
Ah yes, just like in Brussels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post

I think previous expectations can ruin a lot of experiences. Our best vacations are the impromptu ones. I also hate planning and having an itinerary. Nothing ruins vacation more the. Having any itinerary. Except camping- camping always ruins a vacation. Last time I tried to force myself to enjoy camping I had an epiphany in the middle Of the night while tossing and turning and trying to sleep- I hate camping. I left the campsite in the middle Of the night to go back to my home with my running water, electricity, walls to keep out bugs, and BED.

Even though we didn’t like the Musuem in NYC, we enjoyed the museums in Washington.

So I guess the moral for myself is do not plan in advance- that seems to be what leads to disappointment and unrealistic expectations!
I don't like having an itinerary either---I only schedule something if I have to do so. But I do love camping.

Which museum in NY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
Funny how people have different perceptions.

I went to Philadelphia in April.

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

Hope to retire there - assuming I can handle winter.
I like Philly too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
My disappointments have not been with cultures, but rather with expecting more of a "wow" experience due to photographs I have seen of a place beforehand, so, for me, the first time I felt a really strong letdown was the Fern Grotto in Hawaii. It was jam-packed with tourists and the grotto itself didn't feel or look as lush as I expected.
That's how I felt about Letchworth. Now I never look up much about anything before I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel