Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 09:48 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Thanks. right now I'm out of the picture, since he has all the answers and I can't get anywhere in his conversation to help him. And we can't come out to pick him up and drive him from NY to Florida. I don't feel good that he's in the predicament, but since his other brother (in a much better position to drive him) told him that Amtrak does not require a picture ID, that's where I'm leaving it right now. He accepts that. I do hope all goes well with him, but we simply cannot pick him up (he's at least 8 hours away) and then drive from NY to Florida. I was just wondering about Amtrak, which he said does not ask for picture ID. He does have something of an ID, but since I can't get a straight answer out of him (ADD?), I'm afraid I'll just have to leave him to his own situation. Can't help it. It is a sad situation, since he's not well mentally. Not a raving lunatic, but sick nevertheless, and knows all the answers. Not willing to take direction. Therefore, after a back-and-forth about the incapacity of my husband to take him, his other brother told him he can take Amtrak, and perhaps they will accept his non-photo ID, whatever he has somehow (he can't explain it) from Florida, I think it's out of date.

He might be fine, don't worry about it, we were never asked for id when we did Amtrak, ( except when we picked up our tickets. Let the brothers do what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 05:54 AM

10 posts, read 6,444 times
you just have to look at these things very carefully like Documents. All Amtrak passengers must have their train tickets with them to board the train and while onboard, as ticket checks are periodically completed. All travelers over age 18 and all unaccompanied minors age 15 and over must have a government issued I.D., such as a passport, driver's license or military I.D.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m38up View Post
you just have to look at these things very carefully like Documents. All Amtrak passengers must have their train tickets with them to board the train and while onboard, as ticket checks are periodically completed. All travelers over age 18 and all unaccompanied minors age 15 and over must have a government issued I.D., such as a passport, driver's license or military I.D.
OK, I checked and read all the answers. You are correct. And probably so are the ones that said he might not be kicked off train because he doesn't have a current photo id. And although I feel sorry for him, it's out of our hands right now. But thank you. Fortunately, I have a photo id if I need it. And although I feel bad about it, we really can't help him. I'm not sure if he can get a taxi to take him from NYC to Florida, he mentioned something about that when he called, but it will cost (he said) about $1,000. I haven't checked into that yet. I hope he's learned to save his money.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:09 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Taxi?!?!? Wow.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Taxi?!?!? Wow.
Yup. I haven't investigated that yet as far as price or availability. As I said, he has all the answers, so who am I to go beyond that? Maybe he'll actually get there somehow from NY to Florida without a current photo id.
All I know is that we cannot take him from NY to Florida, we live far away from him now, and I feel sorry for him, wouldn't want to be in his situation.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:59 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Yup. I haven't investigated that yet as far as price or availability. As I said, he has all the answers, so who am I to go beyond that? Maybe he'll actually get there somehow from NY to Florida without a current photo id.
All I know is that we cannot take him from NY to Florida, we live far away from him now, and I feel sorry for him, wouldn't want to be in his situation.

Stop holding yourself responsible. He might want to look into long distance ridesharing services.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Stop holding yourself responsible. He might want to look into long distance ridesharing services.
Thanks. I just feel bad because I know I wouldn't want to be in his predicament. And because we can pay for his expenses but don't want to because he has been so profligate with his money and not paying us back, I am watching and waiting. But we surely cannot/will not go into NYC and pick him up. Anyway, another brother lives in NY and has the physical means to drive him to Florida if push comes to shove. We'll see. So I guess if anyone should feel responsible, the burden may rest on his other brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel