Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 06:20 AM

36 posts, read 25,115 times

Advertisements

On a recent trip to Europe, we stopped off in Reykjavik Iceland for a planned weeks stay before heading to Paris. We had booked an AIRBNB for the week in Reykjavik Iceland. We came prepared for chilly cloudy weather in June but were not prepared for what occurred. We were there for 3 days and it rained non stop for every hour we were there. It was around 50 degrees, windy with low fog covering the city. It was incredibly bleak. We attempted to see most of the attractions through the rain, fog, cold and wind.

By the 4th day, the weather turned even worse with higher winds and even heavier rain. The weather forecast said it would be just terrible for the next five days. My wife and I wanted off the island and thought it would be logical to spend more time in France where the weather forecast was sunny and 75 degrees, Trouble was we would lose the value of our AIRBNB and have to pay a fee to change our flights. After much discussion, we decided to head to Paris four days early and get out of Iceland. It was a huge financial hit.

What would you do if the weather forecast was just terrible for the rest of your trip and sunny and 75 degrees was waiting for you at your next stop, but it would cost you lots of money to bail out early?

Last edited by usual points; 06-26-2019 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 06:42 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
It's a tough question since lots of factors, but basically comes down to how much your time is worth.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:50 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Definitely a tough question. Part of the decision would be based on what there was to do indoors. I've been to Reykjavik twice and while they have some good museums and the Hallgrimskirkja, the highlights of my visits were mostly outdoors and would have been miserable in bad weather. OTOH, DH And I honeymooned in St. Petersburg in October, 203 and encountered mostly miserable, drizzly weather, but we expected it that time of year and a lot of what we wanted to see was in museums.

And yes, the costs of changing plans would be a factor.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I frequently change plans due to weather, tho try to schedule destinations based on 'best season' without crowds...

I book places with free cancellations (the $20 / night guest homes I use don't care / charge fees for 'no-show')
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange (Air B&B is listed, but is NOT a hospitality stay, unless special terms).

I book air with fares that allow changes, or use a discounted fare with the understanding it may be forfeited.
If cheap enough, I will double book with an 'escape plan'.

Islands(such as Iceland) are a bit more 'sequestered'. (limited ways OFF the island...) lived on an island in BC Canada and got cabin fever real bad, even tho I had my own sailboat there.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:29 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Depends on expectations, plans and indoors activities.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Personally, unless it were a question of safety (like needing to evacuate or the possibility of being stranded), I probably wouldn't alter plans (especially if it involved high costs) and just try to make the most of the situation.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:37 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
If we're talking dangerous weather (like an approaching hurricane), yes, I'd change plans. For more run-of-the-mill bad weather, it would depend on how much the weather is impacting what I want to do at the location in question, how much the change would cost, and what my alternatives were.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:25 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,519,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Personally, unless it were a question of safety (like needing to evacuate or the possibility of being stranded), I probably wouldn't alter plans (especially if it involved high costs) and just try to make the most of the situation.

+1, this.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:50 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Depends on just how much "lots of money" would be for the most part. But I'd be willing to revise my plans and find more things I could do indoors than I might have originally planned, and even if I had been anticipating a busy sightseeing type of experience, I would think about something like finding a day spa and taking some extra time for relaxing and getting to enjoy the time that way instead.

But if the amount I had to spend to make that time enjoyable was going to start approaching what I might spend to leave early for a different destination, then I would think a lot more seriously about leaving.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:44 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
More than just a rhetorical question now, the forecast for Europe this summer is for a prolonged historic heat wave. I won't typically travel there in the summer just due to the maddening crowds of tourists & endless lines & peak prices, this is the icing on the cake. During the 2003 heat wave over 14,000 people in France died, most of the old buildings don't have AC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel