Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 12:58 AM

23,065 posts, read 28,774,691 times

Advertisements

So, so many American foreign travelers, I've talked to, seem to head for Europe first, then it's off to Asia, and then, it's South America, or not at all. And, not surprisingly, it's the major tourist mecca, Machu Picchu/Cuzco that they go to first in South America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 05:32 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,161,211 times
For one thing, the air fares are higher than Europe and Asia. And most people to to more-developed countries first, until they feel more confident on their own.

My order was Europe, South America, West Asia, Africa, East Asia, Australia.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:00 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,228,525 times
I left Africa for my 7th and final continent.

Actually South America was my 2nd continent, even before Europe, which was my third, I guess I'm an outlier!

My order was:

North America (born there)
South America
Europe
Australia
Antarctica (worked there 3 times and had to go through South America to get there twice)
Asia
Africa

Old 06-29-2019, 06:45 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,161,211 times
High cost of Australia was a deterrent' But passing through Bangkok, it was very cheap to add on Darwin, so that is where I "did" Australia.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:50 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
High cost of Australia was a deterrent' But passing through Bangkok, it was very cheap to add on Darwin, so that is where I "did" Australia.
I "lucked out" for my OZ trip. I was working at the University of Arizona at the time, and we would shut down for a week and a half for Christmas/New Year's so I didn't have to use a ton of PTO for my travels.

Anyways, I was able to use my United FF miles, only 50,000 miles at the time, to book a round trip ticket from Tuscon to Sydney via LAX for 3 weeks during the peak time of the peak season (Christmas/New Year's) back in 2006/2007. It's now 80,000 miles for the cheapest ticket from North America to Australia on United!

To this day it is my best FF redemption, getting back at least $0.04 per mile. I basically booked the ticket the maximum amount of days you could in early 2006. I did a 3 week counterclockwise trip going to Cairns (flew there immediately after landing in Sydney), Uluru, Melbourne and ending up in Sydney for New Year's.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:37 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,484,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So, so many American foreign travelers, I've talked to, seem to head for Europe first..........
The majority of the population descended from Europe, so having those roots and wanting to know where you came from certainly explains part of it.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:54 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,232,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
The majority of the population descended from Europe, so having those roots and wanting to know where you came from certainly explains part of it.
I agree- and the history we learned when I was in school was very Euro-Centric. I REALLY wanted to use my HS French and my college German so Europe was at the top of my list. DH and I got to Brazil when Continental Airlines sent me an e-mail offering round-trip travel in their brand new 767s (I think) on their brand-new EWR-Rio nonstops for 17,500 OnePass miles in 2000. Glad we took it- they never made that offer again. In March I'm going to the Galapagos as well as Macchu Picchu and Bolivia.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:19 PM

10,999 posts, read 6,525,543 times
This is funny to me because we retired to So. America (Ecuador) but I have little interest in seeing much of it. As was said, I find Europe much more attractive, and I feel less "foreign" there, since those are our roots. Plus, most speak at least some English (unlike here, almost no one does).

I wish we could have retired to Spain or Greece but the residency requirements are quite a bit higher than here. We just returned from Greece, and will spend the winter in Spain, this year. If we can't retire there, we can at least tourist-visa there.

And yes, the history we learned as kids centered on Europe, so that is where my interest lies. I am intrigued by the Minoan civilization, for example.

ETA: The Galapagos was great, but once is plenty. Unlike Europe, which is endless.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:56 PM

4,234 posts, read 3,672,580 times
I think that Europe is generally much easier to get to, especially if you live on the east coast (and most especially if you're in the northeast). And there are many more student exchange programs with countries in Europe than there are with countries in South America.

I think South America also suffers from a widespread belief that it is dangerous, with kidnappings and drug related crimes reported in the news and being the subject of movies, etc. In a similar vein, many Americans are afraid of Latin America in general - because of all the negative press and the orchestrated campaign against immigrants from Central America, and so many Americans are so dumb they don't understand any sort of difference between South America and Central America.

I'm not really sure why Americans would seek to travel to Asia over South America. I do see quite a few tours to China advertised and I've heard of many people visiting Phuket and other beaches in Thailand. Japan always has its own intrigue. But those are all anecdotal, and I'd be curious to see if the numbers really are higher for travel to Asia.

About 20 years ago we were invited to a wedding in Chile. It took place at a winery and the bride included suggestions of all kinds of places you could visit. The bride and groom were people who worked with my husband, and several other people we knew from my husband's work were also going. This was over the Thanksgiving timeframe and I can't even express how badly I wanted to go. I had never been to South America (still haven't) and this just sounded like the perfect opportunity to go. My husband, though, refused to go and sent in the regrets before I even knew he had done so. I'm still mad about it.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:49 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,484,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I'm not really sure why Americans would seek to travel to Asia over South America. I do see quite a few tours to China advertised and I've heard of many people visiting Phuket and other beaches in Thailand. Japan always has its own intrigue. But those are all anecdotal, and I'd be curious to see if the numbers really are higher for travel to Asia.
Lots of reasons. Generally Asia is much safer than Latin America. There is a lot in a small package in many countries in Asia, where everything from the temples to the tropical beaches to the night markets are a stone's throw. There is a lot more food in Asia that is regarded highly on global stage compared to South America.

As for anecdotal versus numbers, the stats show both China and Thailand get a ton of tourists, far more than anywhere in South America. Throw in Bali, Japan, Vietnam, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel