Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 12:33 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times

Advertisements

I can't think of a time when I felt really unsafe. I don't go into dangerous areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 12:36 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
First experience of city fear:
Riots in my own town. Age around 7 or 8. Civil rights fiasco.

Travel wise: Philly. South side . ,nuff said.

Houston in daylight. Abducted. Got shoved in a car.
Houston police are a joke...and not the belly laugh kind.

Harlem in the late 90's. It was going thru a clean up...and apparently my purse was what they wanted to clean out .
I detest nyc..so Harlem just validated it.

Loved Europe overall...did find certain areas were less friendly if I said I was from America. Took those towns folks but a brief chat to understand their valid dislike. I respected hearing their side. And hoped they knew I wasn't like that.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:09 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Not to derail, but this is such a subjective question. It depends on so many factors. It's really not easy to answer, except pointing on the obvious most violent countries like Somalia, Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq, Yemen etc.
It depends on your age, gender, demeanor, race, physical shape. If you are a seasoned traveler or an anxious newbie always watching over your shoulders. If you know the language and understand the culture and customs. Your flexibility to adjust to different situations. Your surviving skills. If you are all alone or with someone or a group. How is your common sense and guts feeling? Are you open or shy - will you try to make conversation or ask for help even if is getting dark, you are alone and don't speak the language?
I mean... there are so many factors.
Some people feel unsafe in the safest parts of Europe, others can venture into the Amazon jungle or hike in Pakistan and feel like at home.
You see how hard is to judge that?

Old 07-25-2019, 01:31 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times
Detroit, 1967 riots. Slept in basement to avoid stray bullets.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:44 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Since this is the travel forum this is related to travel right? Not "when I lived here we had this hurricane....".

Also not sure why people are focusing on crime so much. Does anyone do anything more dangerous than walk in unsafe neighborhoods?

Me, in relation to travel:
Crossing from Bali to Gili Islands in Indonesia, essentially a 40 or 50 mile stretch of the South China Sea, on a local fisherman's 10 foot Jukong (a sort of outrigger/canoe) with a 4HP motor engine. No emergency gear whatever, no life preservers, no navigation equipment, no radio, no life raft. Fisherman was bailing out craft every few minutes with a cut away milk jug. It was both exhilarating and scary as hell, took us 5 hours.

I have to think about other occurances -animal attacks, war zones, scary roads and drivers....

Old 07-25-2019, 05:53 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Ventured into a bad part of Paris, while on vacation. Got out quickly!

Bad parts of Los Angeles:: Watts, South Central LA, East LA, East Hollywood
Bad parts of the Bay Area:: West Oakland, East Palo Alto, Hunter’s Point, Visitacion Valley, San Jose (Alum Rock)

Old 07-25-2019, 06:49 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not to derail, but this is such a subjective question.
An adrenaline rush is, physiologically, pretty objective -- the more so if it messes your pants. Every traveler stumbles into them unexpectedly when taking normal precautions. Seems like a pretty fair question to me.

In most scary travel situations, it is unanticipated humans that are the variable, but being a bit acrophobic, I wasn't very comfortable with Victoria falls with no guard rails.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:39 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,680,959 times
I have been in a lot of places I shouldn't have been but never really felt unsafe.

Except the time I was driving through the panhandle of Oklahoma and had to stop for gas. Can't remember the name of the little town. As soon as I was close to town I had a pickup get right behind me. When I stopped at the only gas station the pickup parked across the street and the 2 people in it just stared at me. When I went inside to pay for the gas everyone in the station just stared at me. Then when I left the pickup followed me till I was just out of town. It was crazy and happened in the middle of the day.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:38 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
In high school I was in San Jose, Costa Rica and took a wrong turn to a neighborhood that was seedy. Mostly prostitutes. May not have been extremely dangerous but nerve wracking for a high school kid.

In Morocco I remember really minding my p's and q's. Not sure how dangerous it was but I was careful what I did and said.

Coming out of Comerica Park in Detroit a few years ago late at night was very sketchy.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:30 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
The only time I have felt really unsafe, ironically, was when I was walking home from filing a police report in Paris after my hotel room had been broken into. A man was clearly following me and it was late enough that many places were closed but it was still somewhat light out.

I had another time when I was driving and some gun store in a more rural town was testing gun sights out by pointing them out the road/gas station that was not particularly my favorite either. I elected not to stop there if I had to get gas ever again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel