Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 10:56 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

People are so divided on the reclining airplane seat thing. I remember a long thread a while back (which was locked) in which every opinion under the sun was expressed regarding the seat situation. I recline because I get a backache if I don't but I am courteous and don't kick the seat or grab anyone's hair to pull myself up from my seat. What about you? Do you recline or decline? If you dislike the reclining ability, do you think airlines should lock the seats in place? Or should they be locked only for short haul flights (or long ones?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 11:10 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
I don't recline because I hate it when others do it in front of me. The only time I do recline is if I'm in international business class with lay-flat seats that literally don't impede on anyone else's space.

My biggest complaint with recliners are the ones who just slam their seat back without any consideration for the person behind them. I almost lost a laptop that way. I had my laptop on the tray in front of me, and the person in front of me reclined. If I hadn't reacted so quickly and flipped up the bottom of the laptop, it might have damaged the top portion.

If you're going to recline, please do so slowly. Give the person behind you time to react and adjust themselves and their belongings as needed.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:10 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
If everyone's seat reclines - then there is no issue about anyone having any less room if the person in front reclines - since you can simply recline your own seat.

I can't imagine doing a flight over 2 hours without any sort of reclining. Its not like sitting bolt upright is some natural state!

Old 04-11-2018, 11:12 AM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't recline because I hate it when others do it in front of me. The only time I do recline is if I'm in international business class with lay-flat seats that literally don't impede on anyone else's space.

My biggest complaint with recliners are the ones who just slam their seat back without any consideration for the person behind them. I almost lost a laptop that way. I had my laptop on the tray in front of me, and the person in front of me reclined. If I hadn't reacted so quickly and flipped up the bottom of the laptop, it might have damaged the top portion.

If you're going to recline, please do so slowly. Give the person behind you time to react and adjust themselves and their belongings as needed.
I agree.
Cabin crew should announce that instead of wasting time telling the passengers how to buckle a seat belt that anyone born after 1899 knows how to anyway.

Also "if you exit your row during the flight and need to steady yourself use your own row instead of grabbing the seat row in front of you and giving the other passengers whiplash"

These things really shouldn't need saying - but apparently they do.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:36 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
If everyone's seat reclines - then there is no issue about anyone having any less room if the person in front reclines - since you can simply recline your own seat.

I can't imagine doing a flight over 2 hours without any sort of reclining. Its not like sitting bolt upright is some natural state!
Agreed. I wonder if the decliners have actually been on a long flight without reclining. Perhaps their disgust at reclining is based on the rudeness of certain recliners, not the act of reclining itself. I have always reclined, until I took a cheapo flight to Atlanta a year or two ago. Unbeknownst to me, the seats were locked in place. The flight was only three hours, but after the flight, I had a hell of a backache. It lasted until the next day. I've been able to fly as long as 9 hours in a reclining seat with no issues. I was surprised that a relatively short flight could cause so much discomfort.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:49 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Agreed. I wonder if the decliners have actually been on a long flight without reclining. Perhaps their disgust at reclining is based on the rudeness of certain recliners, not the act of reclining itself. I have always reclined, until I took a cheapo flight to Atlanta a year or two ago. Unbeknownst to me, the seats were locked in place. The flight was only three hours, but after the flight, I had a hell of a backache. It lasted until the next day. I've been able to fly as long as 9 hours in a reclining seat with no issues. I was surprised that a relatively short flight could cause so much discomfort.
Yep. I've flown from Raleigh to San Francisco without reclining. Hasn't been a problem for me.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:02 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Well people with a pole up their a$$ usually can sit upright for a long time

Old 04-11-2018, 12:05 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Here ya go: 39 pages on the same exact topic. Reclining airline seats: Have you ever stopped one?

An added bonus to that thread: Our 'beloved' member, Annerk, contributed. A LOT.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:05 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
I can't sit bolt upright for the entire flight, but I don't need to go all the way back, either. Give me just a couple of degrees and I'm good.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:15 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
Being over 6 foot tall with a long torso, I do not fit into the contours of an airline seat molded for someone closer to the 5 foot 7 inch model. It does not matter if I recline or not, I will be uncomfortable. With the seats being crowded closer together I am unable to adjust my position on the backrest by shifting down in the seat, so my shoulder blades are positioned on the headrest and the seat curve to support the neck is squarely in the center of my back.

I generally recline only a small amount to put my sitting position vertical rather than being pushed forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel