U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:23 PM

294 posts, read 716,513 times

Advertisements

I'll be travelling cross country from CA to CT in June, and wondered if anyone can tell me which of the two motel chains are better. I'm looking for a basic, clean and safe place, and liked the idea that there are Motel 8 and Motel 6's along my route. Also if anyone can recommed other places to stay that average $60 a night would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 05:49 PM

605 posts, read 1,701,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmburns View Post
I'll be travelling cross country from CA to CT in June, and wondered if anyone can tell me which of the two motel chains are better. I'm looking for a basic, clean and safe place, and liked the idea that there are Motel 8 and Motel 6's along my route. Also if anyone can recommed other places to stay that average $60 a night would be great.

Thanks in advance.
The 8s are slightly further up the food chain than the 6s, but there are good and bad examples of both. Tripadvisor is your friend. Impossible to generalize about rates however as each hotel's location will drive cost, as will demand on the night(s) you stay.

Others to consider that are in the same bracket would be Red Roof Inn, Econolodge and there are probably others. Consistency of quality control is very poor in these chains so your experiences will vary a lot from one to another.

Good luck!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:04 PM

294 posts, read 716,513 times
thanks tonrob, i'll check the others you mentioned.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:19 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,558,064 times
atlmburns, I used to work for a national hotel reservation line... And it was actually for Super 8 motels...I would recommend making reservations in advance if possible. Hotels can be booked up quick or raise their prices if they are close to being filled, if there is a large event going on...
In my opinion and experience, Super 8 seems to be a bit nicer. I've stayed at Motel 6, and wasn't disappointed... Good luck with your trip.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:15 PM

1,664 posts, read 2,878,924 times
Default Pick a place and sleep there

They are both about the same, however if you pass by fleabag 4 JUST KEEP GOING!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,937,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmburns View Post

Thanks in advance.
At the rest stops, there are usually motel books with coupons. Sometimes you can get some Hampton or Fairields for 59 bucks plus tax. Nice hot tubs and breakfast.

If you are planning on doing some sight seeing and can plan, try Priceline and or Hotwire. I booked the Doubletree Hotel in PA in July for $65 a night and the Westin in Arlington for 113. You can usually get Holiday Inn for 50 bucks (start at 35 in remote places). But you must plan and you must arrive on a certain date. If you bring a laptop, you can stop by wireless gas stations or rest stops and try to book ahead of yourself. These hotels are MUCH nicer than the Motel 8, but require some planning.

Another cheapo way to go is to use the KOA cabins. It all depends on how much you want to see and do on your trip. Might as well see some stuff. The National Parks in Southern Utah, the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Devils Tower, Rushmore, Crazy Horse are all pretty cool.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,479,533 times
I've heard of (and stayed in) Motel 6, but have never heard of Motel 8. Did you possibly mean Super 8? I've stayed in these, also, and would say they are similar, as mentioned earlier. I usually opt for a Hampton Inn or Best Western, if only because of the continental breakfast, which is usually a bit better there than at Super 8 or Motel 6 (if they have it at all). When three or four of us are having breakfast, eating it for free is better than paying $20 - $30 for the family at a restaurant, which adds to the cost of a bargain motel with no breakfast. The one thing I've found most often is that there are a variety of hotel/motel/inn choices out there, and what's good in one place isn't necessarily so in another place. Best Western and Hampton Inn seem to keep their standards fairly high, so I've found them to be nice places to stay on most occasions.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:54 AM

21,028 posts, read 22,511,102 times
When I travel to the lesser 48, I like staying in the Comfort Inn chain. I get Alaska Airlines Mileage and usually get the free upgrades to the king rooms with the hot tubs in them.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:47 AM

1,476 posts, read 3,801,678 times
Yeah, the Stupid 8 is for sure a cut above a Motel 6.

And I would never stay in a room with a hot tub. That is where the local population goes to make babies. Ew.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:54 AM

36,348 posts, read 57,054,102 times
In my travels I've had considerably better luck with Super 8 than with Motel 6,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel