Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 07:44 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times

Advertisements

I received my conditional approval for Global Entry, and want to schedule my appointment. All the locations I've checked say "no appointments available".

Has anyone had any luck with a walk-in appointment? I don't have a location anywhere nearby, so I would have to drive 3-6 hours (one way) to get to a location. I would hate to make that kind of a drive and not be able to get my interview taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 08:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
1) Get a Nexus instead of GE (Canadian issued, appts available in USA; 1/2 the price of GE, same benefit) https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...lment-centers#
2) Consider doing a GE appointment while on a scheduled trip. (Our 'home airport' had a 4 month wait for appointments, one of our 'destinations' scheduled 'next day')

Old 09-19-2019, 08:46 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
I’ve had Global Entry now for several years and it’s wonderful to avoid some of the hassle when returning to the states. It took just a week for my interview and picture to be taken in the appointment; I don’t think they’ll see anyone without having setup a time for the interview first. You have to schedule one.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:11 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
There are some designated walk-in locations. If you are traveling internationally you can also walk-in at your gateway airport when you return to the US. I realize these are not great options. Also try calling the location you plan to drive to, they may be more helpful to you if you speak directly to them. My most recent experience was with my son earlier this year, and we showed up about 20 min early to his appt. There was literally nobody else so they just took us in right away for interview...entire process (he was 8 or 9 months old) took 5 minutes.

Lastly, keep checking back. It is quite common for space to open up as people cancel/reschedule.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
1) Get a Nexus instead of GE (Canadian issued, appts available in USA; 1/2 the price of GE, same benefit) https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...lment-centers#
2) Consider doing a GE appointment while on a scheduled trip. (Our 'home airport' had a 4 month wait for appointments, one of our 'destinations' scheduled 'next day')

The application fee for GE or Pre is covered by my credit card (I already have Pre). Nexus isn't covered.

I checked my scheduled trips. Those airports don't have availability either.

I have a trip to Northern Virginia next month for a few days, so I can go to Dulles for a 'walk-in' appointment. That may be my only option.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:18 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:

I'd have to drive 2 hours from my Vermont ski place to the Canadian border to get NEXUS and it's only open Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Derby VT and way downeast Maine in Jonesport are the only places in New England. My sister and brother-in-law have it but they live in Vancouver where it's a trivial trip to the airport.

I'm 20 minutes from an airport that does Global Entry/GOES interviews. When my TSA Pre gets close to expiring, I may do that instead. It's kind of not worth it so I may just stick with TSA Pre. With kiosks at passport control, I never have much of a US Citizen passport control line at the airport. They just glance at the slip of paper and say "welcome home". When it was paper landing cards, it could be a much bigger queue. NEXUS would be far more useful since I drive across the Canadian border quite a bit and the queue can be 15+ minutes.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Also. Consider your travel schedules and airport TSA pre hours and staff. ~50% of my flights TSA pre is not open. (early morning or late night). Yesterday, Pre had huge line. STD TSA, no line. Not uncommon either. My shoes have to come off... Pre or not. Only advantage is computer stays in the bag, and avoid body scan machine 3-4x/ week.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Also. Consider your travel schedules and airport TSA pre hours and staff. ~50% of my flights TSA pre is not open. (early morning or late night). Yesterday, Pre had huge line. STD TSA, no line. Not uncommon either. My shoes have to come off... Pre or not. Only advantage is computer stays in the bag, and avoid body scan machine 3-4x/ week.

I'm a frequent traveler and never really have a problem with Pre. Definitely an advantage, IMO. Especially at my home airport.

But this is about GE, not Pre.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:01 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,399,163 times
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ck/2094610001/
From the article:

"The cited reasons on the website for the backlog: the 35-day government shutdown that ended in late January and the "ongoing humanitarian and security crisis on our southern border.''"

The interview took about 5-10 minutes.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:20 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,789,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The application fee for GE or Pre is covered by my credit card (I already have Pre). Nexus isn't covered.

I checked my scheduled trips. Those airports don't have availability either.

I have a trip to Northern Virginia next month for a few days, so I can go to Dulles for a 'walk-in' appointment. That may be my only option.
If you are going to be in DC there is an office in the Reagan Building downtown that may have more options available.

If you have been conditionally approved you can start using your ID number from the letter as your KTN so that you can start using the TSA Precheck portion of the benefit. Also if you have an international trip coming up relatively soon, you may want to check to see if the airport that you will be flying into offers an Interview on Arrival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel