U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:59 PM

423 posts, read 1,421,832 times

Advertisements

OK, maybe you'll think I'm nut but considering the world ends Dec 21 2012.... just kidding.

Anyway I'm selling my house and I just became a senior and want to find a very cheap home base somewhere, more to just have a place to park my car and sleep and get ready for another trip.

I don't want to look back and regret I never went anywhere.

I'll do it for 18 months or so and then look for a senior co-op and go back to work part time.

So what's a cheap home base suggestion and cheap for someone that wants to travel for 18 months ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 07:42 PM

20,793 posts, read 54,120,138 times
I would say some place south, probably Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas area. Housing there is very inexpensive. You can probably find a studio apartment for not much. How much time between trips? What about just putting your stuff in storage and staying at an extended stay hotel?

Another area to look into would be SW Minnesota, specifically Luverne, MN. You can probably find an apartment there for $200/month or so and then fly in and out of the Sioux Falls, SD airport 30 miles away.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:54 PM

extended stay hotel
That sounds like a great suggestion
Thanks

Old 04-23-2008, 02:29 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,647,572 times
I would stay south too, because in the winter you can have more travel problems up north. I bet you can find a cheap place in small town Texas.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:58 PM

3,856 posts, read 9,471,482 times
If you are thinking of buying a home or property, be aware that Texas has really high property taxes. Not the cheapest place to rest your hat in between travels. I'd go for Louisiana myself (and I'm a Texan, lol). It's a pretty cheap place to live overall.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,822 times
Texas has no Income Tax and property taxes will vary from town to town. All property tax rates in Texas are determined by local taxing authorities and based upon a percentage of each $100 of valuation by appraisal districts. Obviously appraised property values in Podunk will be considerably less than cities in Dallas or Houston metro areas.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:53 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,469,119 times
I think where you decide to make your home base should be based upon where you intend to travel. Will you be traveling by car, bus, train, airplane, etc? Depending on the answer, you will have different choices. Are you only going to be traveling in the U.S.? Any particular region? How long will you be away from your home base? All of these things would have some bearing on where you should make your home base. For instance, if you're planning to travel only by car, and only in the western U.S., you wouldn't want to settle in North Carolina.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 54,120,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
If you are thinking of buying a home or property, be aware that Texas has really high property taxes. Not the cheapest place to rest your hat in between travels. I'd go for Louisiana myself (and I'm a Texan, lol). It's a pretty cheap place to live overall.
Even with higher property taxes, Texas ranks 43rd in overall tax burden (sales, property, income, etc. combined). That makes Texas one of the least expensive places to live in the US. Louisiana ranks 16th.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 AM

3,856 posts, read 9,471,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Even with higher property taxes, Texas ranks 43rd in overall tax burden (sales, property, income, etc. combined). That makes Texas one of the least expensive places to live in the US. Louisiana ranks 16th.
golfgal, that is interesting. However, if you are living off of savings as opposed to earnings, the Texas taxes would probably get you more than if you lived in a state with low property taxes and a state income tax too. But, you have given me hope that I can retire and still live in Texas, I just need to move out of Austin!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
golfgal, that is interesting. However, if you are living off of savings as opposed to earnings, the Texas taxes would probably get you more than if you lived in a state with low property taxes and a state income tax too. But, you have given me hope that I can retire and still live in Texas, I just need to move out of Austin!
As much as I hate Bush, Texass would be out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or