U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 11:48 PM

3 posts, read 7,341 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm looking to drive cross country early June. I am moving out to the Everett Washington area and am leaving from Philadelphia. I have always wanted to drive cross country and I finally have the chance to do it. I was wondering whether anyone had done it or had any words of wisdom to pass on! Ideally I'd like to see some great scenery, camp in parks along the way and just make a great time of it. I would probably have between 7-8 days so I don't have a ton of time but I think it's doable. So any camping sites, routes, stops or any kind of suggestion would greatly be appreciated! Thanks guys. Have a great weekend.

Julien
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 11:53 PM

83 posts, read 253,036 times
I would do the classic I-90/Yellowstone route.
You'd pass Chicago, Badlands National Park, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone National Park, and Grand Teton National Park. Some beautiful parts of the country out there. It would be rushed, but doable.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:11 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,889,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kweens View Post
I would do the classic I-90/Yellowstone route.
You'd pass Chicago, Badlands National Park, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone National Park, and Grand Teton National Park. Some beautiful parts of the country out there. It would be rushed, but doable.
I've done it a few times.

You are gong to pass by Chicago so you might want to swing through a museum or two.

Don't forget Crazy Horse which is a just a few (10) miles from Rushmore and there is a camping ground in between the two.

Research buying an Annual pass. I don't know if you would save so much unless you go down to Southern Utah and see all the Parks including the Grand Canyon. Probably too far South for 8-9 days.

Don't forget to do the extra miles and stop by Devil's Tower made famous by Close Encounters and mashed potatoes.

In SD, you can stop at Wall Drugs and Corn Palace (Mitchelll SD) for some funky one of a kind tourist stuff. Also get your 35 cent ice cream at little America.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,514,471 times
If you're a guy, "camp in parks along the way" is quite doable.
If you're a gal, that's a romantic but completely dangerous idea and don't do it if you value your life.
Guy, keep everything you value invisible to the world, lock everything all the time, carry a dangerous knife in your pocket, and beware.

This City-Data thread is about someone planning a road trip from Ames, Iowa to Seattle -- Google map included. I know Iowa is somewhat out of the way for you, but the map, and the advice on the thread, might help you.
The Trip -- Ames, IA to Seattle, WA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or