U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:25 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,671,706 times

Advertisements

Don't miss South of the Border, right on the NC/SC line on I-95. It's just a tourist trap, but damn it's a good one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 12:56 PM

123 posts, read 245,862 times
If you're driving to and from...pick different routes so you don't pass through all of the same states on the way back!..we drove down the west side of FL for our trip TO and took the Skyway bridge across Tampa Bay...it's 4 miles long and absolutely beautiful...completely surrounded by ocean...there are pull off points to snap pictures, too, and on the way back we took the highway closest to the ocean and stopped off at all the awesome beaches (ft lauderdale, Daytona etc.) I suggest checking out Siesta Key...it's beautiful...the sand there is 99 percent quartz! It's almost like baby powder! Get there early in the morning though and enoy the beauty before ppl start showing up. Here's a 430 pic series I took on the trip from Oh to FL and back

Old 09-23-2010, 05:57 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,553,343 times
Here's a cool side trip...get off of I-95 at Jacksonville and go pick up A1A which follows the coast.
You'll see some fantastic homes, drive thru a state park or two. Lunch at one of the beach side restaurants in Flagler Beach near the pier is always an experience.
Make a stop in St Augustine then continue down to Daytona.
You can pick up I-4 there in Daytona which will bring you into Orlando.

Have a great time.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:33 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,671,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binney View Post
any new suggestions? We'll be driving from Long Island, NY to Sebastain FLorida for the last 2 weeks of December. Just hubby and me. Any must sees? we, too usually fly. Charleston and Savannah are mentioned a lot...any suggestions on what to see/where to eat in those cities?

Yes. South of the Border, the quintessential tourist trap right on the NC/SC line on I-95.

Whatever you want, from a souvenier to a cold beer, they've got it!

Old 10-09-2010, 07:35 AM

274 posts, read 564,549 times
This thread is great. I'm doing the opposite trip - my wife and I are driving from Jacksonville, FL up to Portland, ME this November. I've made the drive a couple times, but always with strange stops (Murfreesboro, TN for example). This time we're sticking to I-95 the whole time. I'm interested in places I've never seen - Boston, maybe Rhode Island...

We've made the drive from Jax to Virginia Beach hundreds of times and done the South of the Border thing (and everything else). Any recommendations for areas north of Virginia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or