U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 09:49 AM

4,663 posts, read 7,331,416 times

Advertisements

For those who have purchased a round-the-world package of flights, where were the most interesting places you visited? What are your recommendations for future travellers?

I have travelled alot but am planning on a backpacking round the world trip with my wife at the end of January, for about 3 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 11:04 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,618,002 times
i am so jealous!! that sounds so great! i hope you have a wonderful time!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:16 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,888,104 times
I ran into a woman in Hanoi who bought a round the world ticket. Because she added a South America stop, it cost her almost $5k. I thought she would have been better off buying a separate round trip ticket.

I did a three month round the world run about 1990 after the fall of the Soviet Union. I did not buy the round the world package, but bought stand by and last minute one way tickets.

I did SF to Amsterdam and Eurailed down through Italy, Switzerland, Bulgaria to Istanbul and drove through Turkey. Then I flew up to Moscow and the St Petersburg and took the Transmongolian down through Mongolia to Beijing. I spent a few weeks in China and then down to HK and back to SF. 3 Months.

I'm not sure ho much you save these days on the round the world tickets. They used to be really cheap. But these days you have the discount carriers and if you plan well you can get some good deals on rental cars and such. Good travels.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:02 PM

1,628 posts, read 5,892,967 times
I did this right after college, with my college roommate. We had an around the world ticket and spent 6 months with our backpacks. Our stops were: New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, India, and Greece. I think that was all of them.

My favorite would be hard to say--there were so many amazing things to see....this was quite a number of years ago. Thailand was one of my favorites, but ti was really different back then. I went back about 5 years ago and a couple of places we'd been, which were these barely inhabited islands now have giant highrises on them...Northern Thailand (Chang Rai area) was really great too, but it was very remote then and again...I imagine that has changed.

The only thing I would have done differently is I would not have had quite so many stops. We had to use each stop so in some cases it would have been much easier to use local transportation than to fly short distances. And we totally ran out of time at the end so barely saw India...we hadn't anticipated spending over a month in Thailand but we loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or