U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 01:37 PM

25 posts, read 80,988 times

Advertisements

I am going to making a trip from North Dakota to So. Ill soon. I normally go thru Minnesota and then south but would be willing to go south and then over if there are some cool things to do and see. Anybody know of anything from either direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,417,925 times
Go through Wisconsin on 90/94 and check out Wisconsin Dells. Most of the area is still untouched. Beautiful is one way to describe it.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:32 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,640,889 times
Well, the Zoo in Omaha is neat, and K.C. has some attractions depending on what you like and you can visit the Arch in St. Louis.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:39 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,157,918 times
We did the drive one year ... from Chicago, up thru Wisc and MN, to ND and SD then thru Iowa on the way back... the MN/WI is a prettier drive.

And as if Josh was stating that the Dells area is 'still untouched', he hasn't been there in a while. yes, there still is a lot of open area... but not in the Dells/Lake Delton area ... it's a small Orlando ... from Memorial Day to just past Labor Day... traffic is horrendous. I have a seasonal place up there ... and on weekends, we dont venture out ... or we take the back roads.

BUT -- form the Dells area, heading North to MN ... some of the areas are very pretty. heading south from Madison and into IL, it's quite flat and boring.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:06 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,417,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
We did the drive one year ... from Chicago, up thru Wisc and MN, to ND and SD then thru Iowa on the way back... the MN/WI is a prettier drive.

And as if Josh was stating that the Dells area is 'still untouched', he hasn't been there in a while. yes, there still is a lot of open area... but not in the Dells/Lake Delton area ... it's a small Orlando ... from Memorial Day to just past Labor Day... traffic is horrendous. I have a seasonal place up there ... and on weekends, we dont venture out ... or we take the back roads.

BUT -- form the Dells area, heading North to MN ... some of the areas are very pretty. heading south from Madison and into IL, it's quite flat and boring.
I realize that Lake Delton is pretty OVER developed but really the Dells itself is still pretty serene. I live in Portage which is 20 minutes away from the Dells. I do realize that it's all about resorts up there but wow if you head North on highway 13 in the Dells, have a camera. Very beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or