Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 11:52 AM

449 posts, read 1,698,851 times

Advertisements

We're going to attend a wedding and I'm looking for a good way to go -
seems its pretty much I-90 and or I-80 - really would like to go way around the Chicago traffic even if it adds some miles, we've done it before (I think from N.Indiana?) anyway it was tough for someone not used to city driving.

Wish we could go across Canada which seems less complicated and shorter- pricey to get us all passports though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 01:41 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
If you are interested in a neat side note to the trip, have you considered crossing Lake Michigan on a car ferry? I have made the trip between Maine and Michigan 23 times in the last number of years, with 6 trips in the last 2 months, all driving. Here is the way I go:

95 out of Maine, through NH and just into Mass (NH/ME border to 495 is about 18 miles). 495 around Boston area to 90 (about 65 miles). 90 to 84 (about 32 miles). 84 all the way through Conn, NY, and into PA (about 240 miles). Just outside of Scranton, PA you will pick up 81 and go down to 80 (about 41 miles) DON'T get on 380 because it adds time and distance to an already long trip. I stay on 80 all the way through PA, Ohio, to just inside of Indiana (about 520 miles). This is the point you need to decide which way to go. Chicago isn't THAT bad to drive through, as long as you are trying it LATE at night, or very early morning (Between 7AM and 9 PM it can be a regular bugger though). The car ferrys are a blast to take and give you a great 4 hour break from driving, while still making headway to your destination. Depending on where in WI you are headed you can either take "Lake Express" between Muskegon, MI and Milwaukee, WI; or the "Badger" (Lake Michigan Carferry) between Ludington, MI and Manitowoc, WI. Lake Express is slightly faster and much newer, but the Badger gives a much better (smoother) ride and has some history behind it as well (it is the last coal fired commercial ship on the Great Lakes for one.)

To go that way, just a few miles into Indiana (about 15 miles) take 69 into Michigan to 94 (about 50 miles) then 94 to 131 in Kalamazoo (about 42 miles) then 131 to 96 by Grand Rapids (about 57 miles). 96 will take you right into Muskegon and anybody can tell you where to find the Lake Express docks. If you decide on the Badger, when you get to Muskegon, take 31 North to Ludington where the freeway ends (about 60 miles). When you get off take a right and it is 3 miles through town to James Street. A Left on James Street then 6 blocks to Dowland street. (Hint: Mc Donalds Bakery is on the Left on the corner with Dowland street and is a GREAT place to pick up some fresh, to die for pastries. ) You can see the ship from there and it is just a block up Dowland to the parking lot for the Ferry. It is a great way to go across to WI and I have been on it a few times over the years. They have a lounge area to relax in, great food on board, and even a small movie theater. Playrooms for the kids, and deck chairs as well if that is the sort of thing you like also. I personally like the Badger much better myself.

I HATE going through Canada now. Not so much Canada itself, but the US border stations are a PITA now. I always go through the states even though it adds about 400 miles to my trip I always take. It is shorter, but takes longer now when going through Canada when you figure the border crossing into the mix.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:35 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I HATE going through Canada now. Not so much Canada itself, but the US border stations are a PITA now. I always go through the states even though it adds about 400 miles to my trip I always take. It is shorter, but takes longer now when going through Canada when you figure the border crossing into the mix.
I agree about going through Canada. It is becoming more of a pain. Not getting into Canada, but dealing with our own custom agents coming back into the States. Even with a passport it can be a hassle anymore. I think you are right to stick to a U.S. route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel