U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 03:53 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,563,133 times

Advertisements

Sent by express mail April 25th with return express mail pre-paid envelope enclosed (cost about $35 I think) paid $135 for expedited renewal - got it back today.

I really can't believe this! Now I feel like a fool paying extra - don't need it until mid-June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 04:27 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,507,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Now I feel like a fool paying extra - don't need it until mid-June.
Don't. You did the smart and safe thing. Mid-June was only 7 weeks from your application date, and it's taking the passport processors 3 to 4 months to do their jobs. And since those offices have hired so many inexperienced temp workers who seem to spend time peeking into famous people's files instead of doing their work, as we've seen on the news, who knows how long your app might have taken!

You did the smart and safe thing. You can always earn the money again, but if you had gotten to take-off date with no passport, you would have kicked yourself for not paying for expedited processing, right?

Old 05-01-2008, 05:01 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,616,694 times
ha! i had gotten my son's last year when all the craziness with passports was going on because we actually needed it. applied and mailed in april, recieved in June, 2 days before we had to leave.
my dad mailed it the same week we did, ad he had to go to NYC and have it done it person because it would not arrive in time.

you did right by starting early

Old 05-03-2008, 07:56 AM

2,259 posts, read 8,804,943 times
I renewed mine in March after a trip to Mexico. The expiration was June 8th or something like that. I sent my application in by priority mail w/delivery confirmation and without expedited return since I had time. The application was delivered on a Thurs and no kidding, I received my passport on the Thurs of the following week. Renewals are getting processed very fast.

Last spring I had all three kids apply for a passport, they were received after about 7 weeks, I was told to expect 8-10 weeks.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:02 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,906,509 times
I think you did the right thing, Lakewooder. I have faith in my government, but better to be safe than sorry.
We were recently faced with the fact that our 18 year old kid's passport had expired in December '07, and he was leaving on his trip April 28--in two weeks. Oops.
Total negligence on our part.
And this was not a renewal. The kid's old passport was from 4th grade. He needed a brand new one.
But the interesting thing was the different answers we all got when we called the State Dept. One said to just do what you did, Lakewooder. Another agent said that the kid better get down Miami (a 6 or 7 hour drive) to the Passport Agency there.
As it happens, we have family in Miami. The kid turned in his old passport at the Tallahassee (where he lives) post office, signed the paperwork, then overnighted it to his uncle with the proper notarized document.
His uncle was able to obtain the new passport in just a couple days, and overnighted it to us.
Everything went okay, but not without some last minute drama when the kid's notarized authorization statement had been misplaced (then found) by the Miami passport agency.
With about 5 days to go, our mission was accomplished.
It took about 9 days.
I shudder to think what might have happened if the uncle had not been standing there, waiting for them to find the statement.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 05-03-2008 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: add the actual amount of time it took

Old 05-04-2008, 12:40 AM

296 posts, read 1,167,125 times
I didn't need a passport at all, necessarily -- we are only planning to drive into Canada, so a birth certificate and driver's license still cover me at this writing. Still, I figured I might need it in a hurry next time, so why wait. I applied on April 7 and received my passport on April 23. No expedited processing requested or paid for. I have to admit with the well-publicized waits, I wasn't expecting it so soon. So perhaps the offices are doing better...

Old 05-04-2008, 12:28 PM

351 posts, read 1,719,661 times
My mom just renewed her passport. She first sent it off with the old fee ($65, per the old form which expired March 1) and has it returned for insufficient funds in a week. She sent it in again with the proper amount for the non-expedited service, and had her new passport in about a week. Pretty amazing, given what I've read about delays. That the passport renewal is sent to one city and is returned from another is even more surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or